Rio De Janeiro - Ioc Evaluation Report

Of course, Brazil is not USA, USA is not Japan, Japan is not Spain... And Spain is not Brazil... And... and...

But if Brazil could have problems because it will host World Cup, so Japan, USA and Spain WILL HAVE the same... Maybe more, maybe less...

It's not fair the World Cup to be a negative factor for Rio.

Mexico 68 olympics - 70 world cup

USA 94 world Cup - 96 Olympics

Why not Brazil? Well...

It might be unfair, but it's how some people - including myself - feel

I want to see a Rio games, just not in 2016. It'll be too soon for me personally and its impact will be lessened because of the world cup.

Whether IOC member will feel the same is, of course, a completely different question.

USA is bidding for 2018 World Cup

Spain is bidding for 2018 World Cup

Japan is bidding for 2018 World Cup

So, Baron?

uhmmm...those ARE bids. :blink:

If you can't tell the basic difference between an event that's locked in...and I don't have to tell which one...than one that isn't, then you have absolutely no clue as to how this "guestimating bidding odds process" works. :rolleyes:

Besides which 2018 has a very probably frontrunner, and it ain't one of those 3 countries, hmmmmm?

Besides which 2018 has a very probably frontrunner, and it ain't one of those 3 countries, hmmmmm?

I agree to Baron. The Republic of Waziristan looks like an unbeatable contender. But I think WC is to come back to Europe in 2018, no matter what happens.

uhmmm...those ARE bids. :blink:

If you can't tell the basic difference between an event that's locked in...and I don't have to tell which one...than one that isn't, then you have absolutely no clue as to how this "guestimating bidding odds process" works. :rolleyes:

Tell me, if Chicago, Tokyo or Madrid gets 2016, will they withdrawn their World Cup bids???

I dare!

Tell me, if Chicago, Tokyo or Madrid gets 2016, will they withdrawn their World Cup bids???

I dare!

Why should they?

Danny, if you still can't get the nuances (which are not really subtle but quite obvious) of the 2 competitions, then you really DON'T understand the whole process,

So can't help you if you don't udnerstand those.

Wtf, comparing a developing country to developed countries?! :huh:

You can't compare the U.S. World Cup '94 & the Olympics '96 with Brazil's 2014 World Cup & their attempt at the 2016 Olympics. incomparable.

That's like comparing Brazil to Nigeria. Absolutely absurd. Talk about having your head in the sand. <_<

I dare!

Danny, the point isn't will they withdraw their bids. The point is, will their chances of winning be affected by having an Olympics two years earlier?

EXACTLY the same question we're asking of Brazil, just with the events the other way around.

If is Rio bidding, it's a problem, if it's any rich country it's ok...

I support Spain-Portugal 2018... Even if they get Madrid 2016... It's Spain problem... Their money, their organization...

I don't see any problem for them as I don't see for Rio

If is Rio bidding, it's a problem, if it's any rich country it's ok...

I didn't say that. It would be valid to ask for example, if Madrid 2016 wins, whether Spain/Portugal 2018 would be affected. This isn't some crusade to pick on poorer countries.

Daniel's follows a coherent logic. If Brazil is criticized for hosting 2014 FIFA WC and having one of its cities bidding for 2016 SOG, the same has to be applied to any other country that is bidding or will possibly bid both events.

That's an interesting thing to know, whether any country would withidraw it bid in favour of another one.

Please elaborate your ideas before writing them. For example, the idea of an event being affected by another. I think Rio 2016 is going to be affected by FIFA 2014 WC because the Government will have already invested a lot in infrastructuring. WC and SOG are different things that can and must be prepared in sinergy.

Not to mention that the most important market, the US, completely ignores FIFA WC's.

No, this not true, and is changing. I watched a ton of games from Germany hosting 2006, and I have plenty of friends who would frequently visit bars to watch their favorite teams (none of which were the USA might I add).

I was rooting for Brazil for crying out loud...

I don't really care if the U.S. gets the 2018 WC, I personally feel that it is too soon after 1994, and I hardly think the U.S. will win in their bid (especially if Chicago wins). I think they are more or less preparing for a bid down the road.

No, this not true, and is changing. I watched a ton of games from Germany hosting 2006, and I have plenty of friends who would frequently visit bars to watch their favorite teams (none of which were the USA might I add).

I was rooting for Brazil for crying out loud...

I don't really care if the U.S. gets the 2018 WC, I personally feel that it is too soon after 1994, and I hardly think the U.S. will win in their bid (especially if Chicago wins). I think they are more or less preparing for a bid down the road.

In FIFA, this 'too soon' things seens to be less important...

See Mexico 1970-Mexico 1986

Even Rio de Janeiro host three consecutives Beach Soccer World Cups...

yes, the U.S. is very capable of hosting a WC with minimal preparation, but one has to admit that if the U.S. hosted in 2018, it would be seen unfavorably, especially with the large amount of interest from other bidders.

Just like any complain about the U.S. hosting too many Olympics, but I don't have a problem with that because I see more as a "city game," and the U.S. contributes the most to the Olympic movement (athletically and monetarily).

Mexico was not the only option to replace Colombia in 1986...

WHo else? Besides, it's irrelevant. That's water under the bridge. What r u going to do , rewrite history?

So if the USA, Japan and Spain bids for 2018/22 u think compare to Rio's problem with the IOC, then why are you complaining to us? WHy don't you write FIFA and point out that comparison? THey might just laugh and and throw your letter into the garbage can.

They are NOT quite the same.

yes, the U.S. is very capable of hosting a WC with minimal preparation, but one has to admit that if the U.S. hosted in 2018, it would be seen unfavorably, especially with the large amount of interest from other bidders.

The other reality is that the U.S. is a huge sports market where football (in American English, Soccer) is a minor sport. For a few weeks in 1994, U.S. TV networks showed soccer during prime time hours, the largest stadiums filled with soccer fans, and the U.S. Major League Soccer effort received a significant boost to its efforts. There are few other countries that have as significant of an upside potential for soccer than the U.S.--and, admittedly, few countries where foreign interest would significantly exceed domestic interest and where a WC effort carries as much risk.

For the U.S., a proposal to stage a few dozen soccer matches in existing stadiums served by large hotels, high capacity airports, multi-lane motorways, and ample parking raises a few eyebrows but it isn't a huge departure from the annual NCAA Basketball tournament or the Football Bowl Games every December/January. Aside from the nationality of the fans and the occasional discussion about how to grow grass inside of a domed stadium, there wasn't that much concern about capability to host in 1994.

CHItown '16

WHo else? Besides, it's irrelevant. That's water under the bridge. What r u going to do , rewrite history?

So if the USA, Japan and Spain bids for 2018/22 u think compare to Rio's problem with the IOC, then why are you complaining to us? WHy don't you write FIFA and point out that comparison? THey might just laugh and and throw your letter into the garbage can.

They are NOT quite the same.

Yes, it's irrelevant...

Don't worry about my relationship with FIFA...

I don't think I'm a member of any major sports organization...

In FIFA, this 'too soon' things seens to be less important...

See Mexico 1970-Mexico 1986

Even Rio de Janeiro host three consecutives Beach Soccer World Cups...

86 was given to Colombia and the Beach Soccer WC was born in Rio in the same fashion as the FIVB Beach Volleyball tour. They held a series of championships in Rio and then expanded worldwide.

Archived