The Aussies have arrived

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

319 for 7 at the end of day one at the Oval and I think both sides will be slightly disappointed.

Having won the toss, England would certainly have been looking for more having first use of what looks a pretty flat wicket. However, having reduced their opponents to 131-4 just after lunch, I reckon Australia will be disappointed that they managed to let England get off the hook.

I felt Paul Collingwood got a rough decision, but then again Andrew Strauss should have been given out caught behind, so it's 1-1 on that score.

The ball has reversed quite significantly late on this afternoon, which should encourage England's bowlers for the rest of the game. I'd say it's honours just about even tonight.

Australia are ahead at the end of day two, though, at 112-0 in reply to England's 373 all out.

That said, I cannot understand why they went off for light after tea. Surely they need as much time as possible to win. I hope they live to regret that decision.

Certainly the weather today hasn't helped Australia's cause. Combined with the time lost yesterday, almost a full day has now been taken out of this Test match. Yet, with Australia at 277-2 overnight, they certainly have a platform to push on tomorrow even if, as Jonathan Agnew feels, the luck has been on their side, thus far.

Jonathan Agnew column

For the record, I think he's right.

Andrew Flintoff took just his second five-wicket haul in Test cricket to ruin Australia's hopes of building a large total in the fifth Ashes Test.

And Matthew Hoggard claimed four victims to bowl the tourists out for 367, six runs in arrears.

Matthew Hayden was lbw to Flintoff after an heroic 138 and Australia lost their last eight wickets for 90 runs.

England openers Marcus Trescothick and Andrew Strauss took strike in gloomy conditions in mid-afternoon.

England 373 v Australia 367

I can't believe we have a first innings lead!

I've paid my dues, time after time

I've done my sentence, but committed no crime

And bad mistakes, I've made a few

I've had my share of sand, kicked in my face

But I've come through

And I need to go on and on and on and on

We are the champions, my friend

And we'll keep on fighting till the end

We are the champions, We are the champions

No time for losers 'cos we are the champions of the world

I've taken my bows, and my curtain calls

You've bought me fame and fortune

And everything that goes with it... I thank you all

But it's been no bed of roses, no pleasure cruise

I consider it a challenge before the whole human race

And I ain't gonna lose

And I need to go on and on and on and on

No time for losers 'cos we are the champions of the world

No time for losers, 'cos we are the champions

WE WON ---- END OFF

Great calibrations in Trafalgar square, what another great moment in British sport.

Is it me or does it seem to be getting better and better. At least I can put my hart back where it belongs now.

THANKS AUSTRALIA FOR A GREAT SERIES --- WE COULD NOT HAVE DONE IT WITHOUT YOU

You know what I admire about this England team - it's their team spirit.  They have been bigging each other up all day today and praising the whole team...  Nobody wants to take the glory - they are, quite rightly, sharing it...  So proud to be English today and I had tears streaming down my face during the rendition of 'Jerusalem' today!!!  Another thing I like is how much the Aussies and the England team got on and celibrated the win.  Today, the England team still were banging on praising the Aussies - good sporting spirit!  Wish footballers would be the same...

Yet another thing I liked was the England cricketeers being too worse for wear to put on a good photo opportunity for Tny Blair - he looked a bit miffed...  Class!!!

Thought I'd leave it a couple of days before posting so I could properly reflect on a wonderful summer.

First of all, it would have been nice to have had a proper moment of victory, but who really cares about that.

At lunch on Monday, I thought we were going to blow it but, in the circumstances, Kevin Pietersen's innings ranks as one of the best I've seen. Under that sort of pressure, to play his natural game with that freedom was fantastic.

Australia blew their best chance of winning with their first innings collapse, triggered by the 2005 BBC Sports Personality of the Year (Freddie will win it, no danger).

It's been a tremendous series played the right way and, even better, the best team won.

Well done boys!

Are you guys taking us seriously?

:D Sorry for the lateness of this posting but...

CONGRATULATIONS ENGLAND !!!!!

What an amazing effort to finally breath life back into UK Cricket.

We watched on the news the ashen looking Australian faces as they arrived back in Sydney with nothing to show, not even any one-day trophies!!!

I can tell you now thar Australia will be out for revenge so be ready for 2006-07 Southernn season.

Once again...

:D CONGRATULATIONS!!!! :D

From everyone here in New Zealand!!

• 1 month later...

Archived