The Aussies have arrived

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was pretty disappointed with 444 as I felt 500 should have been well within our range.

But, reducing Australia to 210-7 at the close has certainly put England in the driving seat. Let's just hope the weather doesn't disrupt things too much tomorrow.

Resuming at 264-7, after only 14 overs yesterday, Australia were finally bowled out for 302 this morning, Simon Jones cleaning up the last three wickets to finish with a career best of 6-53.

England have reached 26-0 at lunch, an overall lead of 168.

Meanwhile, the Australian chairman of selectors has suggested there may be changes for Trentbridge.

Aussie selector hints at changes

And pundits are calling for changes in England's wicket keeping position as well.

Read must replace Jones - Willis

Much as I understand why people are having a go at Geraint Jones, I don't think Chris Read is the answer because I don't think he's a strong enough batsman. If I were going to make a change, I would probably got towards Matt Prior of Sussex.

Australia will resume 24-0 on the final day, needing a world record 423 to win, after England declared their second innings on 280-6, Andrew Strauss top-scoring with 106.

England were a bit unfortunate tonight that the light wasn't good enough for them to bowl the quicks, but Giles and Vaughan caused a few problems all the same. Roll on tomorrow.

I'm absolutely gutted that we got so close to winning and were only denied at the very last. It almost feels like we lost.

Looking at it in the cold light of the day, we were always a little bit behind where we needed to be. We could have done with a wicket before stumps last night, to have them three down at lunch and six or seven down at tea.

Credit to Ricky Ponting for playing the absolute epitome of the captain's innings today. A magnificent performance.

And so the series remains at 1-1 with two to play. I can't wait for Trentbridge.

Ructions with the counties, as England's stars are rested from Saturday's C&G Trophy semi-finals.

Michael Vaughan, Matthew Hoggard, Andrew Flintoff, Ian Bell, Ashley Giles and Kevin Pietersen will all miss playing for their respective counties on Saturday.

The Lancashire chairman has been particularly outspoken in his comments, but we need our players fit for Trentbridge and, if that means them missing an admittedly big game, so be it.

Fantastic day for England who reached 477 all out before reducing Australia to 99-5.

Particularly enjoyable for me was Andrew Flintoff's hundred and his partnership with Geraint Jones who, for me, has copped a lot of unfair criticism in recent weeks.

Australia will say that Damien Martyn was, again, unlucky, but they have been outplayed and it's fantastic.

My boss has been giving me running updates on the score all day!  I am no just praying that, having set themselves up in a good position, England don't let it slip away again...

I am also hoping that it will be all over by Monday as I have to go to work!!!  Looking forward to spending the next 2 days glued to the TV..   :P

COME ON ENGLAND!!!  It was great looking at the Ashes log on the BBC website - there are people all over the world taking an interest in cricket because of this series.  One guy said he had a bar full of Poles drinking vodka and watching the game, and asking for the rules to be explained...   Fantastic...! :laugh:  :wwww:

Fantastic day for England who reached 477 all out before reducing Australia to 99-5.

Particularly enjoyable for me was Andrew Flintoff's hundred and his partnership with Geraint Jones who, for me, has copped a lot of unfair criticism in recent weeks.

Australia will say that Damien Martyn was, again, unlucky, but they have been outplayed and it's fantastic.

99-5!!!

Bloody brilliant. It was about 470-9ish when I had to go to work and hadn't heard the score till I read your post just then!

NIFTY!!!

:wwww:

Had I been in Michael Vaughan's position shortly before lunch today, I would not have made Australia follow on after we bowled them out for 218.

Why? Well, we had a lead of more than 250 and, in my view, should have rammed home that advantage by racking up a lead of more than 500 and leave ourselves at least four sessions to bowl them out.

As it is, with Australia still 37 runs behind with six wickets left, we're still in control, but I just have this nagging fear that we may have made it harder for ourselves than necessary.

Absolutely shocking decision by Aleem Dar to give Simon Katich lbw for 59. The ball pitched seemingly a country mile outside leg stump and was going over the top. Katich was furious as he walked off, and he had every right to be.

324-7 now, a lead of 65.

Archived