The Aussies have arrived

But I'm not impressed with Koertzen now. TWO wrong decisions in as many overs from Shane Warne.

Why oh why do these bloody Australians always get the decisions against us? Pietersen and Bell should still be at the crease. AN ABSOLUTE JOKE!!

Hang on! There were three bad decisions which went against Australia in this match so far. Two LBWs were given which shouldn't have been, and Pietersen gloved the ball to Gilchrist and was given not out.

They even themselves out, Australia deserve their position they're in now, and I'm English.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Technology showed the lbws were going to hit the stumps. There was nothing like the doubt there were on these two this morning.

Even if Pietersen gloved it, and if it was it only brushed it, there is so much doubt about it that no umpire alive or dead could possibly be certain it was out.

And Bell didn't nick his either. So I'd say things have gone against us, as usual.

Technology showed the lbws were going to hit the stumps. There was nothing like the doubt there were on these two this morning.

Even if Pietersen gloved it, and if it was it only brushed it, there is so much doubt about it that no umpire alive or dead could possibly be certain it was out.

And Bell didn't nick his either. So I'd say things have gone against us, as usual.

Why does the benifit of the doubt thing apply to only us and not the opponents? Technology showed it would have clipped the stump slightly, so benifit of doubt has to go the batsman.

Sometimes you have to admit the other team are better.  :D

Except you're not out on the elbow. And are you certain it hit the glove? I certainly am not and I don't believe the umpire could be either.

Strange how you're not talking about the Bell one, though.

I agree that there have been poor decisions against English, I just don't think there is any malice in the decisions made. They are neutral umpires and they have no reason to deliberately go against us. Sometimes it just happens.

I've been told that but, to be honest Dan, I haven't seen a replay yet, because, and I feel extremely privileged to be able to say this, I was there. And anyway, I still felt we were owed one.

I don't know how well it came through on television but the tension around Edgbaston this morning was absolutely unbearable. From about 60 to win, I was beginning to panic and once it got down to about 15, I was starting to give it up. I couldn't believe what I was watching.

As the appeal for the last wicket went up round the ground, I was just staring at Billy Bowden and when his finger went up, I went mad along with about 18,000 others more in relief than anything else. We'd never have heard the end of it if Australia had won.

I have to give so much credit to Shane Warne, Brett Lee and Michael Kasprowicz for the way they batted, showing precisely the character of this Australian team.

Even many hours afterwards, I still feel incredibly elated. We have a contest now, and I can't wait for it to start again at Old Trafford on Thursday.

But, for the moment, I will just savour the memories of an incredible Test match. It was a privilege to be in attendance today.

Lee left hospital this morning and has been passed fit to play at Old Trafford tomorrow.

Even more disturbingly for England, Glenn McGrath has been bowling in practice today and he apparently will be given until the morning to prove his fitness, although I cannot see how playing him would be anything other than a massive gamble.

As for England, it seems Chris Tremlett may have a chance of making his Test debut, but we won't know until the morning.

I was particularly pleased that Michael Vaughan played so well. Yes, he had his luck, but he hasn't had much lately and to play as well as he did was tremendous.

I was also pleased to see Ian Bell get runs. I wonder what eusebius makes of him now.

Isn't it funny that he hasn't been anywhere near this thread since Lord's. He must be licking his wounds or something.  :laughlong:

I second that arwebb and dare eusebius, bless him, to give us his thoughts.  I obviously want us to win the Ashes, but I am at least proud that, finally, the Australians know that they are in battle and will not have it all their own way...

I was following the match today as much as I could at work, but at lunch I thought 'well England could still collapse, as usual just after lunch after they had made a terrific start.  To their credit, they didn't and the score could go quite high tomorrow with Flintoff and everyone else to come...

The series is still open and thank God for that.  I had thought after the first test we had used up all our sporting luck this summer what with the Olympic decision and everything. However, it seems we have quite a comtest on ou hands...

I hope the Aussies down under are now taking more interest and that their nerves are getting up.  They have needed some team to really take them on for ages to get them going...

All that's left to say is 'let the best team win'!

I read Jonathn Agnew's column today in which he mentioned that he walked past Brett Lee and soe England team members with just half an hour to go and the spirit between the sides was great as Lee walked away saying 'hope you have a good game'.  Despite all the banter in the mdia and the hype - these 2 teams do like and respect each other!!!!

We have to post 500+ tomorrow. There's no reason why we shouldn't do that with a very good pitch and batting to come. Looking at those cracks on the wicket, they will surely open as the game progresses, making the bounce more and more uneven. It is imperative we put a total on the board that allows us to put Australia under severe pressure again. 400 won't do that.

All I wanted going into this series was a genuine competition and we've certainly got that. Despite some nonsense in the papers, I think there is genuine respect between the two teams. England should certainly have earned some respect from the Australians, if only because they won't lie down and die like some of their predecessors did.

Archived