The Aussies have arrived

And what a sensational catch by Paul Collingwood to get rid of Matthew Hayden. You won't see many if any better than that.

The radio commentators seemed to be getting a bit worried, but I have to say I always felt it was doable even when Australia applied the brakes in the middle of the innings. Kevin Pietersen played a fantastic knock.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good recovery by Australia, particularly led by Mike Hussey and Michael Clarke to get them to 252-9.

Hussey made 84 and Clarke 45 as Steve Harmison took 5-33.

England in reply are currently 31-0 in the sixth over.

Great game the Aussies - but if that is the best that you have - we are certainly not trembling with fear!!  In my honest opinion,  McGrath played well today but was the only real one who could have striked any fear in the English!!!!

Gillespie is struggling and so are you - is Ponting hitting the Panic button yet????

I still think the Ashes will be a competitive series but we have nothing to fear!!!  Australia are the ones with something to REALLY PROVE - 4 losses in a week!!!!  Who would have thought it???  :rolleyes:  :shocked:

Down they go again...One more loss and the panic button will be pressed for the one day side...

The Ashes team is still a potent force and the Australia will rise to the occasion.

That remains to be seen. I can only go on what I have seen so far, which has suggested this is not as good an Australian side as we have seen in recent years.

I saw a piece by Mark Nicholas in the paper today suggesting they've lost their aura. Based on the evidence so far, he's probably right.

arwebb, how many more points do England need to ensure their place in the Natwest series final?  Is it 3 or 6?

Anyway, GOOD LUCK ENGLAND for tomorrow.  Hope they are all on strike then (Collingwood, Flintoff, Trescothick, Pietersen...).  I do hope Vaughn is coming back and isn't badly injured!   ???

I had a fantastic weekend just now and watched cricket all weekend.  I didn't get anything done at all - it was bliss...

Well he did kind of admit his mistakein the interview aftwards, but am not unduly bothered with the loss.   It will get the Aussie team more fired up and performing well and will actually do the England team some good. After all in the 1 day series:

Australia: Played 3 with 1 win and two losses

England:  Playe 4 with 3 wins and 1 loss

Who's is the healthier team? The Aussies can win the rest as far as I am concerned.  I would rather we beat them when they are at their best in the final!  Our batting line up didn't really take off, yet they are all great talents and have been up to now performing better than the Aussies.  Also, our bowlers need to get off the ground really a bit more, they are still underperforming in my mind.  As long as it was only an off day and McGrath et al just got the better of them, then that's OK.  Their bowlers have to reproduce their form and I am sure that England will get the kick up the backside that they need to get their attitude right and practise even more....!!!!  We are practically in the final, the Aussies have much further to go before they get there.  Like the much improved Bangladeshis...    

???

Yeah - but we won - so anything can happen in the final!  I don't care and would rather we lose tomorrow against Australia.  More chance of winning on Saturday!  I know that sounds stupid, but the law of averages you know...   :laughlong:

Very true. That is probably our biggest weakness, exposed to some extent at Durham on Thursday.

Tonight's game at Edgbaston was rained off with England 37-1 chasing a revised 200 from 33 overs. No psychological upper hand for Saturday now.

:) From what I saw on the TV it looked like it was going to be a firey game...bummer about the rain.

As usual Shane Warne's of field antics will provide some distraction to the Australian team.  But as the world of cricket knows, not even this can cause the Aussies a problem.

England will have a battle on it's hands.

Bangladesh signed off in pleasing style today, despite going down to Australia by six wickets.

They recovered from 75-5 to post 250-8 in their 50 overs with the Aussies reaching their target with eleven balls to spare, Michael Clarke making an unbeaten 80.

But, the report I've seen suggested Australia looked "under-cooked" ahead of Saturday's final.

:) Don't ODI Draws totally annoy you,

Far as I'm concerned, I believe that the chasing team should either win or lose it on a fall of wickets or result of the bowling team having conceeded more "Extras".

Especially given we came back from 33-5 to run two off the last ball to tie.

How did Australia blow it exactly?

I would exactly say Australia "blew" it... England had a HUGH chance to win that game... Its not very often we see a team like Australia post a sub-200 score in 50overs. Personally. England should have run away with the game.

England lost victory when they conceded Australia's first 50 in seven overs in what were, from what I have seen and heard, very bowler-friendly conditions.

Having said that, when you reduce a side to 33-5, you should win, no matter what level. There is no way that the Australia of four years ago would have let England back into that game.

Archived