2016 Evaluation Report

Soaring

30days.jpg

2016 Olympic bidders await IOC evaluation report

LONDON — Heading into the final month of the race, the four cities vying for the 2016 Summer Games are awaiting a key International Olympic Committee report assessing their technical bids.

The IOC will release its evaluation commission report on Wednesday, exactly a month before the vote in Copenhagen on Oct. 2, marking another milestone in the two-year global campaign.

The report won’t grade or rank the candidates — Chicago, Madrid, Rio de Janeiro and Tokyo. It will focus on technical criteria such as venues, budgets, transportation plans, accommodation, security and government and public support.

With IOC members still barred from visiting bid cities in the wake of the Salt Lake City scandal, the report is intended to offer guidance to the 100-plus delegates when they cast their secret ballots next month.

The evaluation may play only a minor role, however, as members tend to vote for individual reasons, including geopolitical factors. The final presentations on the day of the vote are also considered crucial...

http://chicago2016supporters.wordpress.com...luation-report/

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

-

No surprises expected from IOC evaluation report on 2016 bid cities

It’s likely to say all 4 — including Chicago — are capable of meeting IOC’s standards

The document to be released Wednesday morning on the Internet will run to some 100 pages.

But don’t expect it to say much more about the four finalists for the 2016 Summer Olympics than isn’t already known.

In fact, the report of the International Olympic Committee evaluation commission that made weeklong visits to Chicago, Tokyo, Madrid and Rio de Janeiro last spring may even have been rendered less relevant by an event that followed.

You have to wonder why the IOC bothered to require that the commission’s 13 members sign confidentiality agreements about a report that almost certainly has concluded all four cities are capable of staging a Summer Olympics up to the IOC’s standards...

Read More - http://chicago2016supporters.wordpress.com...016-bid-cities/

-

IOC report identifies Chicago's strengths, weaknesses

Tuesday, September 01, 2009 | 10:42

ABC7 Exclusive: Report praises venue plan, cites aging transit system

By Ben Bradley

September 1, 2009 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A report by the International Olympic Committee's evaluation commission won't be released until Wednesday. But in an ABC7 exclusive, a source reveals some of what the committee identifies as the strengths and weaknesses in Chicago's bid to host the 2016 games.

One month from Wednesday, the IOC will announce which city will host the games.

The report may offer some clues about the decision.

For nearly a week in early April, Chicago's bid team sat face-to-face answering hundreds of questions from the International Olympic Committee evaluators before taking them on an 11 hour tour of the city's proposed venues.

The report is the result of that visit, and others just like it to Rio, Madrid and Tokyo.

"The bid is a strong one but at the end there is only one winner," said Nawal El Moutawakel, IOC Evaluation Commission Chair.

An IOC source tells ABC 7 the report is fairly flattering to all of the candidate cities. It concludes all four are capable of hosting the Games. It prods each of the cities to ensure "good, effective leaders" are selected to run the Olympic Organizing Committee.

The report, we're told, will praise Chicago's compact, downtown venue plan. But it takes issue with Chicago's mass transit system, specifically aging rail lines that don't carry anywhere near the capacity required to carry the estimated four million people who would attend an Olympic Games in Chicago along with regular commuters.

By comparison, the report praises Tokyo and its modern rail system which carries 20 million people a day.

Our source says the report also points out Mayor Daley's initial hesitation to signing the host city agreement which could put Chicago taxpayers on the hook if the Olympic budget is blown. But a poll commissioned by International Olympic Committee in February revealed what our source calls "strong support" among Chicagoans for bringing the Games to town.

"I can't forecast what's in there but I do know we've addressed about everything. I'll be shocked if there's anything really major," said Patrick Ryan, Chicago 2016 Chairman. "If you have more work to do you're probably in trouble."

The IOC report does not rank Chicago, Rio, Madrid and Tokyo or even mandate changes be made to their Olympic plans. Instead, it's meant to be an objective, dispassionate look at how each city would host the games. The reality is most IOC members will read it and then vote based on emotions, allegiances or politics.

ABC News

It's quite surprising that they would have some concerns over Chicago's rail lines. They're far more efficient & far bigger network than Atlanta's MARTA is today, let alone back in '96. And what kind of railway system did L.A. even have, besides nothing, back when they hosted. Chicago has the second best Public Transportation system in the country after New York. And from my understanding, Rio's network isn't that great. So what gives, really, besides; "It concludes all four are capable of hosting the Games." Sounds like a pathway for Rio ala "Beijing" to me. Guess we'll just have to wait for the real report on all the cities.

^Different races, different times. Atlanta was competing against different cities of roughly comparable size under a different process with different priorities (were there even evaluation reports back then? and the environmental aspect of Olympism - of which transport is partially tied into - didn't get big until the early 1990s under Lillehammer), and LA had no competition for 1984.

But you are correct...for a city that size, Rio doesn't have a transit system to match. They only have 2 rapid transit/metro lines.

^Different races, different times. Atlanta was competing against different cities of roughly comparable size under a different process with different priorities (were there even evaluation reports back then? and the environmental aspect of Olympism - of which transport is partially tied into - didn't get big until the early 1990s under Lillehammer), and LA had no competition for 1984.

But you are correct...for a city that size, Rio doesn't have a transit system to match. They only have 2 rapid transit/metro lines.

Well, that info about Rio is incorrect. There are rail lines that carries millions of people everyday to work which reach the Deodoro and Marcana clusters.

Rio subway has only 2 lines, but it is not the only mass transit system in the city. One of them serves the Copacabana cluster as well as part of the Marcana cluster, with the exception of Engenhao Olympic Stadium. There are stations where people can transfer from subway to train, namely Central do Brasil, Sao Cristovao and Maracana Stations.

Besides, Chicago's L-Train lines tend to go inland while the whole concept of the Olympic games is for the venues to be on the Lake Shore.

I don't have the time to read the report in every detail, but I have the impression that Chicago is the one to beat...

MEdia says Rio is the one who received the best valoration !!!!! Congrats!!!!

MEdia says Rio is the one who received the best valoration !!!!! Congrats!!!!

I don't think so - I have the impression that the report is saying, that there are some risks, but Rio could handle it... One thing is explicit mentioned the problems of the infrastructure between the clusters (not only for the athletes but for the visitors too)

I don't think so - I have the impression that the report is saying, that there are some risks, but Rio could handle it... One thing is explicit mentioned the problems of the infrastructure between the clusters (not only for the athletes but for the visitors too)

Well then it was a error for my side with the english sorry

The bad things in the bid are more or less :

Madrid : bad antidopping regulations.

Chicago : economy.

Tokyo : very big city.

Rio : Football 2014 and hotels

despite of all this , everyone can do it ... What a report....

The bad things in the bid are more or less :

Madrid : bad antidopping regulations.

Chicago : economy.

Tokyo : very big city.

Rio : Football 2014 and hotels

despite of all this , everyone can do it ... What a report....

I forget to say that the order in the rank in spanish medias is after report is :

Tokyo

Rio

chicago

Madrid

despite Rio receiv the very high qualiy, Tokyo is the favourite.

so lets wait and see and work Madrid fo 2020 now i support Tokyo or Rio

I have read most of Chicago's assessment and the whole assessment for Rio.

It stands out that despite the large number of challenges in Rio's bid, the negative remarks tended to be followed by some positive outcome of it. The financials of Rio's bid were considered solid. The 4 cluster approach was considered good since it would be representative of the diversity of the city. My reading of Rio's assessment is: "It's risky, but it's worth it". If Rio loses, it will not be due to the evaluation report.

In general, the report says that both cities can do it.

Archived