Past Australian Olympic Bids.

Lord David

Thanks, David, for posting that. very interesting. I quote a section which should be very applicable to the Rio (and Capetown) boosters. Attention Danny, Caue and Raphael....

By October 1948, Beaurepaire

quoted the ‘betting odds’ as: Melbourne - even money; Buenos Aires

6/4 against; Detroit 2/l; All others Buckley’s chance.

There was also speculation at this time that if Melbourne did not

get the Games in 1956, it was certain to get them in 1960, ‘provided it

kept up the propaganda work’.

Some nice gems in there:

I liked:

Gift-giving ton IOC members has a long history but in one instance it almost backfired.

A case of Australian wine sent to Chicago as a gift to the new President

of the IOC, Avery Brundage, by the Melbourne International Committee

was a ploy which led to complications. It led to a protracted period of

correspondence between Brundage and the Illinois Liquor Board.

... no wonder brundage was always grumpy over Melbourne 56.

Also, I'd never known about the first vague expectations of an Australian Winter Games for 56:

The inaugural Winter Olympic Games were held in Chamonix in 1924.

A curious proposal for Australia to host the Winter Olympics was put

forward as part of the formal invitation to the IOC in 1948 for Melbourne

to host the 1956 Summer Olympics. The Age made the suggestion on 24

January 1948 that ‘the Olympic winter sports, which are always held

independently of the main Games, could be conducted at Mt. Buffalo,

Hotham or Koscuisko

Thanks for the praise. Should Australia bid again, which of course won't be until the 2020's at the least, Melbourne will probably put it's hand up as first host. But thanks to stuff revealed by this report, one can easily see Brisbane boast about it's premier weather during the "Winter" season (but naturally transport issues should be resolved), on can easily see Perth put up it's hand and be selected should one can't decide on Melbourne or Brisbane. A new stadium in Perth would only boost their chances.

Perth is like the Minneapolis of Australia. Can't see it being chosen, even by the AOC. Even Brisbane is a bit of a stretch, but certainly a far better option than Perth. The next Australian bid should either be Brisbane or Melbourne, without a doubt..

Perth is like the Minneapolis of Australia. Can't see it being chosen, even by the AOC. Even Brisbane is a bit of a stretch, but certainly a far better option than Perth. The next Australian bid should either be Brisbane or Melbourne, without a doubt..

Ah, but you're forgetting, Perth would get a big boost if they got their 60,000 seater new stadium built (assuming that you can fit an athletics track of course, or by removing several rows of seating).

They also got an Aquatics Centre, a comparable new main arena and excellent sailing facilities. Also their light rail system is fairly centralised and they got a modern contactless card system in place.

They could win over Brisbane if these things are taken into account.

But in all likeliness, Melbourne will get the nod first, due to our experience hosting the 2006 Commonwealth Games.

So if Minneapolis, Cleveland, Tampa, Sacramento, Cincinnati, Charlotte, Nashville, etc, etc, got all those kind of upgrades, too, then they should be considered over the U.S. big boy cities? The far, far majority would disagree.

Besides, Perth wouldn't get too far with the likes of Global cities we're seeing nowadays bidding for the Olympics. That's why choosing Perth would more than likely be a mistake, especially if Australia is looking to win, regardless of upgrades or not. Tokyo's gleaming 2016 plans don't seem to be winning much points over at the IOC. And that's "Tokyo", a HUGE global city with a lot of clout.

"Avery Brundage" Ah yes two words that send a chill up everyone's spine and the reason why the USA will never have an IOC president ever again.

Australia as a host is the odd one out due to it's geo-political positioning. Still even back then only Melbourne and Sydney were (and are still) considered as serious host venues for this part of the world. As for hosting the Winter games in '56...opportunity lost I believe. Could've been done. Now there is little chance - New Zealand would probibly have a better chance hosting them first - and look how unlikely that is.

As for the next Australian SOG venue, maybe Melbourne stands the best chance (the 'G can do it, the 06' CWGs proved it), but Perth has good credentials. It's transport network is brilliant (Auckland, a similar sized city, is trying to emulate it), and the fact that a 'New' stadium of the 60kpax Olympic minimum is planned shows determination. Also the fact that it is closer to Europe must add creedence.

Brisbane, well, they did give it a go but do they really want to host now?

As for hosting the Winter games in '56...opportunity lost I believe. Could've been done. Now there is little chance - New Zealand would probibly have a better chance hosting them first - and look how unlikely that is.

Yeah, that's what struck me. That might have been the one, and best and only ever chance the Southern Hemisphere had to con, I mean convince, the IOC to give it the winter games. At the time, the old policy of awarding both summer and winter games to the same country would have been still in many memories (hence, I suppose, the assumption in that report in 1948). And the season staging of the games wasn't as stringently enforced then either (Melbourne would never be allowed to host in November-December again, as then). Probably even would have been workable by 1956 standards. Ah, opportunity missed. Sigh! Like Puppy I'd still like you Kiwis to run at least a trial bid some time soon.

"Avery Brundage" Ah yes two words that send a chill up everyone's spine and the reason why the USA will never have an IOC president ever again.

Did you know that Belgium has had 2? Of the 8 presidnets or so, Count Baillet-Latour (in the 1930s) and the present Mr. Rogge are from Belgium.

I'd say that Perth is more of the Vancouver of Australia...without the benefits of mountains and a winter resort nearby. ;)

For the Summer Games, Sydney and Melbourne are really the only options at this point, and even then, it will probably be in the 2040s-50s before Australia has a really hot shot at landing the Games again. Perhaps Perth, Brisbane, or Gold Coast could grow enough in that time to become one of Australia's leading world cities, but if the Games can't come to Manchester, Birmingham, Lille or Seville...not to mention Paris, Toronto, Buenos Aires and New York...what makes you think a second or third tier Aussie city can get them?

^^ Actually you can rule out Sydney. Putting aside the fact that they were the last host, you'd have to reconfigure 2000 venues back to their original capacity or more, as well as construct new and temporary venues. It can't happen, they were happy to host, maybe in a 100 years time. :)

^^ Actually you can rule out Sydney. Putting aside the fact that they were the last host, you'd have to reconfigure 2000 venues back to their original capacity or more, as well as construct new and temporary venues. It can't happen, they were happy to host, maybe in a 100 years time. :)

And that'sthe point - If we were going to bid or host tomorrow, Melbourne of course is the one. But don't get your hopes up that Oz will be hosting anytime soon. I'd put it at 2040s at earliest, most likely (much) later. By which time, anything can happen. Silly to look at future bid plans based on what's on the ground today when the chance is so far in the future.

While I agree the hosting of the Games is far fetched for at least the next 20 odd years - there will be a bid sometime for the 2020's Games. Maybe 2024 or 2028. Brisbane and Melbourne will have a shot I am sure - Sydney - hells no.

LOL - I've had my turn for a games in my home town. I'm not expecting a second turn in my lifetime!

^^ Well it would, though transportation and venue issues would need to be solved. The 1982 Commonwealth Games venues along with some new ones may have worked for 1992, but certainly not today, not in the future without major upgrades.

It's interesting that you are all ruling out Sydney. From an outsiders point of view they have most of the stadia. Okay they would need to reconfigure ANZ Stadium and the Aquatics Centre - but the cost of that is minimal compared to what most other cities would have to spend on venues. So this can't be just a cost thing.

Puppy I think your comment is interesting, I'm curious as to why you think Sydneysiders wouldn't want another games. Would the aussie press be very anti a Sydney bid?

I guess this is about whether the IOC would give the games back to a previous host.

From a foreign perspective I think everybody would love the games to go back to Sydney.

Archived