Why Obama Might Not Show In Copenhagen

Obama COULD help the bid by an appearance, but something tells me it would compromise his image domestically. I'm sure he supports the bid, but he can't afford to be spending much time (and money) on something that might not even happen. The US is experiencing political, financial, and social shifts like crazy and he needs to maintain his image of a working man for the nation instead of a promoter for his political grassroots hometown, which could come off as a sour note to the conservative-minded Americans who are not overly prominent in Illinois and could hardly care if Chicago hosts the Olympics. I've lived there for many many years and the US is a country where hosting the Olympics is only really exciting and engaging if it happens to be in your state, and is a bit of a snoozefest anywhere else.

Obama is better off making an appearance in Vancouver or London for the sake of internationalism as opposed to jumping at the bargaining table with the IOC squaring off with firebrand politicians who lobby for the games rather excessively.

I disagree. In the middle of the campaign last year, he made an appearance in Chicago the day they sent the bid books over to Lausanne. If you're in the middle of a crucial campaign and you take time out to do that...that obviously means something. And he did envision himself opening those Games at the end of an 8-year term. The guy has ambitions. The White House probably isn't just publicizing the matter so as not to detract from the more important pressing issues.

I disagree. In the middle of the campaign last year, he made an appearance in Chicago the day they sent the bid books over to Lausanne. If you're in the middle of a crucial campaign and you take time out to do that...that obviously means something. And he did envision himself opening those Games at the end of an 8-year term. The guy has ambitions. The White House probably isn't just publicizing the matter so as not to detract from the more important pressing issues.

If I remember correctly, this was also just after the last primary/caucus of the Democratic Primary (the last public vote for the Democratic Party candidate) so it served a dual purpose as a celebration for the bid making Candidate City status as well as a home visit and rally at the end of the formal primary campaign (although the open location in a plaza in the middle of publicly-accessible office buildings was making me uneasy). That's what he meant by "and your senator's winning too." I'm certain that they are working through all of the scenarios about when/when not to go and how best to message the meeting domestically and what a Chicago 2016 Olympics could mean in the bigger picture for the U.S.

CHItown '16

I think Chicago 2016 will do what ever they can to get him there, but his admin team will be weighing the +'s and -'s of it, and it does depend on how things develop in the next week or two. I don't think Obama would just appear in Copenhagen, most likely we will know about a week before whether he will be there or not.

Obama was also invited to Copenhagen later in the year for a summit on the environment, but I think sending Al Gore for that would be fitting.

The view from the Wall St Journal:

CHICAGO -- The Windy City is holding its breath.

After spending $50 million showing off Chicago and circling the globe to hobnob with the world's sporting potentates, civic boosters pursuing the 2016 Olympic Games are fretting over one last detail: Will Chicago's First Citizen, President Barack Obama, travel to Europe next month to make the final pitch to the International Olympic Committee?

While the technical merits of an Olympic bid -- traffic flow around the Opening Ceremony venue, the texture of the beach volleyball sand, the air-conditioning currents over the ping-pong tables -- might be more important for a successful staging of the Games, the personal schmoozing by heads of state has become crucial to actually landing the event.

After a favors-for-votes scandal rocked the mercurial IOC several years ago, the past practice of bid cities lavishing the 100-some members with assorted goodies is forbidden. Now, it is flattery that carries the day.

In the vote for the 2012 Summer Olympics, British Prime Minister Tony Blair out-cajoled French President Jacques Chirac, as London bested Paris. Personal lobbying by Vladimir Putin helped land the 2014 Winter Games in the obscure Russian resort town of Sochi, over Salzburg, Austria.

"It's important to the IOC that you show them the respect," says John Bitove, a Canadian businessman who headed Toronto's failed bid for the 2008 Summer Olympics, won by Beijing.

Chicago's rivals plan to send their own heavyweights to Copenhagen for the Oct. 2 vote: President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva for Rio de Janeiro; King Juan Carlos for Madrid; and Japan's crown prince and princess for Tokyo.

Mayor Richard Daley has led Chicago's charge for 2016, but an appearance by Mr. Obama in Copenhagen would be the trump card. The White House "certainly knows that we would like him to come," says Patrick Ryan, founder of Aon Corp. and leader of the bid committee.

The White House, engaged in an array of domestic political fights, says a decision hasn't yet been made.

The vote four years ago to choose the host of the 2012 Olympics set the precedent for the showdown of statesmen. In the weeks leading up to the decision, Paris was the presumed favorite over London and New York City. But Mr. Blair arrived for the final IOC session in Singapore three days early, and proceeded to receive a phalanx of IOC members. Mr. Chirac arrived fashionably late. U.S. President George W. Bush, preoccupied by the Iraq war, stayed away altogether.

London won by four votes over Paris; New York was eliminated in an earlier round. The voting is secret, but a number of IOC members later said Mr. Blair's lobbying was likely decisive.

Mr. Chirac also might have lost votes when, in the company of fellow world leaders, he took a Gallic swipe at British cuisine: "After Finland," he said, "it's the country with the worst food."

Finland had two members on the IOC during that host city election -- perhaps the votes that pushed London over the top.

Loose lips also might have damaged Toronto's pitch to host the 2008 Summer Olympics. Toronto was thought to be a robust candidate for the Games, until the city's mayor, speaking before a trip to Africa, said he feared ending up in a pot of boiling water, surrounded by dancing natives. Instead, he was likely scalded by the IOC's African members, who often provide swing votes in host-city elections, as the continent itself rarely puts forth a bid.

The IOC's 2016 bid-evaluation committee is expected to release its technical report on the merits of each of the four finalists on Wednesday. IOC handicappers believe geography has narrowed the race to a contest between Chicago and Rio. The IOC likes to spread the Games around the continents, so Asia's hosting of the last Summer Olympics in Beijing is seen to be to Tokyo's disadvantage. That Europe will host the next Summer Games in London is considered a strike against Madrid.

The U.S. hasn't hosted the Summer Games since 1996 in Atlanta; South America has never played host.

Speaking via video to gatherings of IOC members this summer, both Mr. Obama and Mr. da Silva exhorted them to select their cities.

The Rio delegation also studied Mr. Obama's persuasive powers during his election campaign, and is tailoring its Olympic bid with echoes of the U.S. president's favorite slogan. Carlos Roberto Osorio, the head of Rio's bid committee, says, "We represent the hope, the change, the 'Yes, we can.'"

The following link implies an interesting argument for Obama's presence in Copenhagen. It argues that if Chicago wins the 2016 Games, a feel-good event like the Olympics, with a lot of free publicity for Obama and the Democratic Party (assuming he's re-elected in 2012) would be very advantageous heading into the national elections held in November of 2016.

http://airamerica.com/blog/2009/may/13/oba...summer-olympics

Also, I heard an Obama adviser recently say that he was going to encourage Congress to pass health care legislation "by the end of the year," so he may not be looking for them to be voting before or during Copenhagen - which would allow him more freedom to do some world travel after the G20 which will be in Pittsburgh on September 24th & 25th.

I also hope Jordan shows up in Copenhagen, but he seems more interested in golf. He has not made one personal appearance for Chicago 2016 yet (and he lives in the Chicago area). Hopefully he just holding out for the "big one"

A study of the Danish healthcare system would make it seem like a good opportunity for Obama to showcase how things should be done at a cruical time before the Congress vote whilst championing an Olmypic Bid of his home city, let alone country...

"Killing two birds with one stone", as the saying goes.

The Danish Healthcare System (Even the UK are envious!)

A study of the Danish healthcare system would make it seem like a good opportunity for Obama to showcase how things should be done at a cruical time before the Congress vote whilst championing an Olmypic Bid of his home city, let alone country...

"Killing two birds with one stone", as the saying goes.

The Danish Healthcare System (Even the UK are envious!)

Although would the Danish system (for a smallish country) work for a HUGE country like the U.S. where heart disease, hypertension, etc., undocumented people, are ALL rampant and in staggering numbers. Would it (Danish system) be applicable?

Although would the Danish system (for a smallish country) work for a HUGE country like the U.S. where heart disease, hypertension, etc., undocumented people, are ALL rampant and in staggering numbers. Would it (Danish system) be applicable?

Is Baron a Republican? What are Baron's views on the said bill Obama proposes?

In that case, in hosting the Olympic and Paralympic Games, would getting people in Chicago, in Illinois and the wider USA more active and therefore reducing heart disease, hypertension, etc., be a good argument for Chicago hosting the Games, at this cruicial time?

In that case, in hosting the Olympic and Paralympic Games, would getting people in Chicago, in Illinois and the wider USA more active and therefore reducing heart disease, hypertension, etc., be a good argument for Chicago hosting the Games, at this cruicial time?

Chicago's already rather active:

Amateur Sports In The Chicago Area Today

http://www.gamesbids.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14930

lakefront.jpg

IMG_5268.jpg

but we could always do better.

CHItown '16

ABC 7 just reported that Valerie Jarret will go to Copenhagen. ABC 7's Cheryl Burton also interviewed Oprah and her recent season opener taped on the Magnificent Mile was also to showcase Chicago; half joking wishing some IOC members will watch. When asked, she also said she's willing to go to Copenhagen if the Committee asks her to help out.

Valerie Jarrett to Copenhagen to bolster Chicago 2016 bid. Will Obama go?

Lynn Sweet

on September 8, 2009 4:44 PM

White House Senior Advisor Valerie Jarrett--who heads the Obama team drive for Chicago's 2016 Olympic bid--will be going to Copenhagen in October for the city's final pitch, I'm told. Chicago's Olympic champions hopes President Obama decides to also travel to Denmark to seal the deal. The White House as of Tuesday is not ready to say one way or the other. Betting is: Obama will go if it looks like it is worth his time.

Chicago Sun-Times

So, it's all up to if the US team feels confident or not.

"If it's 'worth' his time"?!

He was all gong-ho & presumptuous about the bid b4 he won the election. If that's really his attitude, he should just stay home then. Screw him. I never did care for him anyway & his pompous deportment. <_<

Let Chicago 2016, local government & celebrities pitch it on their own.

"If it's 'worth' his time"?!

He was all gong-ho & presumptuous about the bid b4 he won the election. If that's really his attitude, he should just stay home then. Screw him. I never did care for him anyway & his pompous deportment. <_<

Let Chicago 2016, local government & celebrities pitch it on their own.

It's just a quote of a reporter's speculation. Not a quote from anyone who speaks for the administration.

CHItown '16

It is still up in the air as to whether Obama will show. I am pleased with Oprah's contributions to the bid thus far, but am disappointed in Michael Jordan's involvement. The only way he can redeem himself in my eyes is if he shows up in Copenhagen.

Hope this event is meant to appease Chicago 2016 if Obama does not show in Copenhagen...

Obamas host Chicago 2016 White House event next Wednesday

WASHINGTON–With a host city decision a few weeks away, President Obama and First Lady Michelle, in a move to bolster Chicago’s bid for the 2016 Olympics, will host Olympians and Paralympians at the White House next Wednesday.

http://chicago2016supporters.wordpress.com...next-wednesday/

I think it is a bit more probable that Oprah could be in Copenhagen (at least she said that she would be willing to go). A little surprising since her show just began taping.

She just shut down about 500m of Michigan Avenue (Chicago's busiest street) for more than 48 hours.

49134397.jpg

A satellite hookup, a few plane tickets, about 100 VIP seats, and a few

"I'm giving a shout-out to my friends at Chicago 2016!!!!"

"Isn't this a great bid?!?!?!"

"Can you hear this IOC?!?!"

"Join me in welcoming, the First Lady of the United States, Michelle Obama!!!!!"

"And His Airnesss Himself, Michael Jordan!!!!!"

Wouldn't surprise me in the least.

CHItown '16

This is not definitive, but not good news...

Obama may not travel to Copenhagen to pitch Chicago 2016 Olympics

WASHINGTON-- President Obama may not travel to Copenhagen next month to help Chicago's final push on Oct. 2 with the International Olympic Committee to win the 2016 summer Olympic games. The heads of states of Brazil, Japan and Spain will be in Denmark to help their nations land the games.

At a White House briefing on Thursday, White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs said the trip to Denmark is not now on his schedule. White House senior advisor Valerie Jarrett --who was part of the Chicago 2016 committee before joining the Obama administration--will be making the trip.

After the briefing, I was told by a White House staffer that Gibbs answer was not definative--meaning it was not a hard no. It just was not a yes. Still, for those who were counting on Obama making it to Copenhagen--well, they can't count on it. Here's how the briefing unfolded.

Gibbs was asked about Copenhagen and the Olympics. Is the president going to go?

"Not that I'm aware of, no."

I then pressed Gibbs for more information about the situation.

"Well, you know now you probably made a few million ears

perk up by saying that he's not coming. So if you have," I said.

Gibbs then told me, " I should -- I said -- I said that as far as the

schedule I had seen, that was not planned."

Asked if the date was being held, Gibbs said he would check.

"Well, this is -- I will, because of those several millions ears that have now since perked, check."

Asked again "Is the date being held" Gibbs said, "Let me check. It's hard for me to look into my invisible crystal ball."

http://blogs.suntimes.com/sweet/2009/09/ob..._to_copenh.html

Archived