Sochi 2014 To Unveil New Logo At Vancouver Museum

mr.x

ok guys, here's another one:

219770_a_photo.jpg

this one's claimed by "Vedomosti" newspaper (source). apparently it will be what you see - "sochi.ru 2014" painted in colors or Russian flag + the rings. the point being it will "advertise" Russia, and associate Sochi with Russia. this would explain the Olympic committee forcing owner of the sochi.ru domain to give it up.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That logo from Vedomosti newspaper above really does look like trash. No offence but really, so much design talent and this is the best they could come up with? The thing is, in the past I would have said no way will they pick something that terrible, this has to be a fake, but since London released that horrible design I would not put it past the Sochi organisers and IOC to accept something like this. Is the IOC that desperate to appeal to the youth that they would allow such bad designs? Having a .ru in the design does not make you 'hip', it's like an old guy getting a combover. I hope this one is a hoax, otherwise I can see this being another London 2012 brand release all over again.

WHERE IS THE LOGO? :blink:

so, you are looking for a sort of special symbolic picture in addition to the brand name, right?

well, it is traditional for games' logos before 2012, but unnecessary imo to say the least ;)

take for example the world's greatest brand - coca-cola - their main logo (contour bottle is secondary) is just the name in a unique script

same here - it is the unique shape and fillings that are supposed to give it the special look and feel :)

Yeah but how many logos have used the Russian flag spread across the wording before? It's so unoriginal and really not that appealing, rather than reaching to the new audience it just alienates people further, because it is plain, boring and not that nice to look at. But these things of course are quite subjective so to each his own. Damn you London 2012 for starting this trend! :angry:

Yeah but how many logos have used the Russian flag spread across the wording before? It's so unoriginal and really not that appealing, rather than reaching to the new audience it just alienates people further, because it is plain, boring and not that nice to look at. But these things of course are quite subjective so to each his own. Damn you London 2012 for starting this trend! :angry:

obviously (the same as with 2012) the filling may not be restricted to the national flag ;)

and, fyi, the union jack is the most popular filling for the 2012 merchandising sales :)

I am not a fan of the London logo in any way shape or form. Primarily because it is a brand and not a logo and also because when all is said and done to my eyes it is quite ugly. The same now is this is indeed the Sochi logo. I just wonder how these 'brands' will age. Are we not then just turning the Olympic Games into another cheap consumable by jumping onto whatever bandwagon is popular at the time?

219770_a_photo.jpg

I love it! Awsome font, the opposing h and 4 at the center is cool, great balance, love the .ru addition. Sochi is such a mystery to most of the world, it adds some needed definition and power. The black field does the same (maybe a nod to the black sea?) White-snow/Blue-Mountain/Red-Russia. Fresh but Russian. I love it!

(Disclaimer-I'm a big font/lettering junkie)

If this is it, it'll be as controversial as London's but I wouldn't say it was following a trend London started. London's is, if anything, overly reliant on graphics whilst making too little of the text. The idea behind London's is that the graphical element ought to be strong enough to be used without the word London in it, in the same way that, I don't know, the Nike tick is able to be used withou the word Nike. This Sochi "logo" is the complete opposite in terms of concept.

The thing is with this is that it's so bland that it's hard to like and it's also hard to hate - another reason why it's not like London's "marmite" logo which people either seem to love or hate with a passion. It is, like any logotype, entirely dependent on the elements which surround it. If you think how top brands like Sony use their "logo" you can see how something like this could be a big success. Then again, it'd also be incredibly easy to use it in completely the wrong way.

Not convinced about the .ru, but apart from that I'm willing to let it and the brand evolve before judging it.

I think London started the trend of not having the traditional emblem, ie the main design element, the city name, year and Olympic rings, all neatly stacked on top of each other. And I have no problem not doing it this way as long as it is executed well (but of course that is subjective). It is also important to distinguish between a logo and a brand. A logo is that one visual element, while a brand extends to more than that, it's the whole image surrounding the event/product and in that sense the logo is part of the brand. It just feels to me that London and Sochi is more intent on developing a brand than a logo and I wonder how in say 20 years time those brands will hold up. Logos tend to be long-lasting, but brands especially if based on fads/fashion will fade away. I guess for me personally I just like to have a stand-alone strong emblem which identifies each Olympics. But taste differs, opinion differs and while I doubt it, hopefully this brand will appeal to people.

OK.....I hate to sound too excited but I think this thing is more in the vane of the great games graphics like Montreal/Mexico. It's very exciting to see font come forward over little pictures of jumping gymnasts and joggers (Sydney/Barcelona/Beijing) and such. Love that it doesn't try to incorporate the 5 ring colors, which is often so irresistible though often weakens concept.

Can't wait to see more

You're getting way too overexcited by a thumbnail shot stirthesoul, although it's good that you like it if this is the real logo. :lol:

As I said in my last post, the success or failure of a logotype like this will be entirely dependent on how it is used. So, sure, it has the potential to be an integral part of a great graphic design like Mexico 68, but it also has the potential to be the worst ever Olympic brand. You can't say it'll be either from looking at the grainy image we have at the moment (and we don't even know if it's real yet)!

OK.....I hate to sound too excited but I think this thing is more in the vane of the great games graphics like Montreal/Mexico. It's very exciting to see font come forward over little pictures of jumping gymnasts and joggers (Sydney/Barcelona/Beijing) and such. Love that it doesn't try to incorporate the 5 ring colors, which is often so irresistible though often weakens concept.

Can't wait to see more

Anyway, here we're talking about the Winter Games, and they're so very different from the Summer Games... ;)

Here's the Google translation of that Vedomosti article:

On Monday at the Red Square in Moscow will be presented to a brand new logo and the Olympic Winter Games in 2014 Sochi. Now an image of a snowflake on a blue background with a red ribbon at the bottom. It came up when Sochi was only a candidate for the Olympic capital - 2014, says government official: "He was all happy, but the rules of the International Olympic Committee logo after the election of the capital city of the Olympics should be changed.

(See illustration) - is the inscription in two lines: the first - sochi.ru, the second - 2014 and the image of the five Olympic rings. Color labels (Main painted tricolor) will vary to sponsor the Games to use their corporate colors. Two sources close to the process of development and harmonization of the logo, confirmed that it is this version will be presented on Monday.

"It's good when the logo is such a feeling." Key words in the logo - sochi.ru. It is moving not only the Olympics and Sochi, Russia as a whole, he explains: "In the minds of people the Olympics should be associated with Sochi, Sochi and - with Russia."We have knowledge of the capital of the Games in 2014, foreigners are few, agrees another source. New logo agreed by the government "At the highest level," he assures. A spokesman for Prime Minister Dmitry Peskov confirmed that Vladimir Putin saw the new logo.

The overall cost of developing the logo in the organizing committee is not known, but at the organizing committee provides information on previously conducted tenders for brand promotion in the Internet and on "Services on presentation of the brand" - the marginal cost of the contract for each of which was 10 million rubles.

Several members of the advertising market argue that, for their information, the main developer of the brand Sochi-2014 was engaged in the international branding agency Interbrand, one of the most famous in the world. Order this level should have been closer to $ 1 million, experts estimate. Earlier, the representative of the agency told "Vedomosti" that the standard cost of the projects worked on by Interbrand, - $ 0,6-1 million

Head of Russia's office of Interbrand Nicola Stanishev confirmed that the company participated in the tender for the development of the Olympic brand, but from other comments, as the representative of the organizing committee, refused.

BBDO Branding Group Turhanov Mahmudov new logo Sochi like: it is modern, fashionable and fully meets the requirements of the digital era. Furthermore, it perfectly solves the problem of warning the world that this Olympiad will be held in Russia. "This is a version without the extremes, and probably someone waiting to see the revolutionary work were not justified, - considers Makhmudov. - But the project that is consistent at the government level, such a wide range of stakeholders, could not be too radical." The fee for the implementation of the agency of such a large complex project was supposed to start at $ 500 000, he said.

"Using the Domain zone - an unexpected move, but communication and justified: what is Sochi, no one outside the former Soviet Union did not know, but to raise interest in Russia is - says CEO of consulting company" Dymshits & Partners Michael Dymshits. - In addition, it is one of the most compact and information-rich Olympic logo.

IF that is indeed the real one...

I really dislike it.

Although I commend them for not going with the traditional formula of logo over city and year over rings like London did, it just doesn’t seem to have the same iconic quality as London's "2012"... or the Apple logo, or McDonald's' golden arches, or Nike's swoosh.

They're just stylized words. Just words.

I don't know. I hope it really isn't the real one or that my opinion honestly changes after I become more and more familiar with it - both in seeing it all the time and understanding the idea behind it.

Archived