Melbourne 2006

Melbourne 2006 Commercial

Add looks pretty good, saw it on the news today… very much diverse..

Despite that, I’m surprised that the Organisers of the Commonwealth Games have come out and admitted that security and ticketing will be a problem. Some aspects aren’t looking good

What problems? The only major problem (security-wise) is the Federal Government's stalling in providing the appropriate figure; currently its been the State Government footing the bill. It was in the news around the time the National Budget was released.

Whats the ticketing problem, though?

Despite that, I’m surprised that the Organisers of the Commonwealth Games have come out and admitted that security and ticketing will be a problem. Some aspects aren’t looking good

What problems? The only major problem (security-wise) is the Federal Government's stalling in providing the appropriate figure; currently its been the State Government footing the bill. It was in the news around the time the National Budget was released.

From what I’ve heard, ticket prices will be fairly expensive… the government it being to tight…I also believe that the date the tickets will go on sale has been put back.

The security problem… in this period security problems will come with any International event.

From what I’ve heard, ticket prices will be fairly expensive… the government it being to tight…I also believe that the date the tickets will go on sale has been put back.

The security problem… in this period security problems will come with any International event.

Of course, already the 2006 Games security is projected to be almost twice that of the Sydney Olympics.

Tickets probably will be released around the 365 Days To Go period in March 2005.

Besides this...

What do people think of the United by the Moment theme. It's the official slogan of 2006. Very soon its going to be plastered all over our cities buses, train stations, and billboards. I like it.

I can't wait to hear the theme song, United by the Moment, which i'm assuming will be performed at the opening ceremony. My bets are Delta Goodrem would do a good job.. (seeing every performer [bar Nikki Webster] Sydney used were Melburnians!) .. Melbourne should take Delta!

Besides this...

What do people think of the United by the Moment theme. It's the official slogan of 2006. Very soon its going to be plastered all over our cities buses, train stations, and billboards. I like it.

I can't wait to hear the theme song, United by the Moment, which i'm assuming will be performed at the opening ceremony. My bets are Delta Goodrem would do a good job.. (seeing every performer [bar Nikki Webster] Sydney used were Melburnians!) .. Melbourne should take Delta!

United By the Moment… I like it… maybe they could have use  “We are all United” like in the video…It is obvious they are trying to show the diversity of Melbourne and the Commonwealth.

Delta would be a good choice… James Morrison I could see being the one to produce the theme…. Kyle was born in Melbourne maybe her!!!!

The more interesting question is, who would light the cauldron?

Andrew Gaze? Basketball hero and a long figure in Melbourne’s history

Betty Cuthbert? Another person that make up Melbourne Sporting History

Dawn Frasier and Ian Thorpe? Australia Past and Present Heroes

The Oarsome Foursome? Australia’s Greatest Ever Rowers

Patrick Rafter? My favourite, a legend down at Melbourne Park

Keirin Pearkins? Hmm maybe

Maybe a Cricket, Rugby or AFL icon… Seeing as Melbourne has a rich Cricket and AFL history, maybe people like Steve Waugh (born in NSW) or Ron Barassi

Any other suggestions?

Besides this...

United By the Moment… I like it… maybe they could have use  “We are all United” like in the video…It is obvious they are trying to show the diversity of Melbourne and the Commonwealth.

Delta would be a good choice… James Morrison I could see being the one to produce the theme…. Kyle was born in Melbourne maybe her!!!!

Maybe a Cricket, Rugby or AFL icon… Seeing as Melbourne has a rich Cricket and AFL history, maybe people like Steve Waugh (born in NSW) or Ron Barassi

Any other suggestions?

Commonwealth Games don't have a cauldron. You mean the Queens Baton?

My bets are on Ian Thorpe.

Kylie Minogue? Eagh.. leave her out of Opening Ceremony formalities....

I would start to run off classic Melburnian artists such as Tina Arena, Vanessa Amorossi, Olivia Newton John, John Farnham.. but they were in Sydney 2000. Cathy Freeman, a Melburnian also, lit their cauldron.

I'm thinking Delta Goodrem. Of the bunch on top, it would be a mistake to use Vanessa Amorossi (even though she sang at the Manchester hand over), shes so four years ago. Tina Arena would be nice again, though.

How about Natalie Imgruglia?

How about a new concept; a band. Why not have an Australian band compose a Ceremony song. (Think; Eskimo Joe, Powerderfinger...etc..).. or even a major international act like U2, could be good.

Besides this...

Any other suggestions?

I would start to run off classic Melburnian artists such as Tina Arena, Vanessa Amorossi, Olivia Newton John, John Farnham.. but they were in Sydney 2000. Cathy Freeman, a Melburnian also, lit their cauldron.

I'm thinking Delta Goodrem. Of the bunch on top, it would be a mistake to use Vanessa Amorossi (even though she sang at the Manchester hand over), shes so four years ago. Tina Arena would be nice again, though.

How about a new concept; a band. Why not have an Australian band compose a Ceremony song. (Think; Eskimo Joe, Powerderfinger...etc..).. or even a major international act like U2, could be good.

My bets have to go to Andrew Gaze..

Maybe the Oarsome Foursom row the Baton down the Yarra for the last leg of the relay..

All those artists where in Sydney 2000.. There all good, but something new is needed..

Eskimo Joe and day of Powderfinger...

maybe Jimmy Barnes or AC/DC :wwww:  :wwww: no no no

I think it will all come down to a Nikki Webster rip off, only this time a boy..

Besides this...

Any other suggestions?

My bets have to go to Andrew Gaze..

Maybe the Oarsome Foursom row the Baton down the Yarra for the last leg of the relay..

All those artists where in Sydney 2000.. There all good, but something new is needed..

Eskimo Joe and day of Powderfinger...

maybe Jimmy Barnes or AC/DC :wwww:  :wwww: no no no

I think it will all come down to a Nikki Webster rip off, only this time a boy..

I'll be pretty cut if their is a corney child. I even cringed at the little boy in the paper boat in Athens... I just don't like the "awww" factor. It's cheap.

To true... its as outdated as daytime ceremonies..

I got it, Rachel Hawkes...

I want to see a memorial during the ceremony... to the 200 odd seagulls who have lost their lives during cricket and AFL matches at the MCG... they have become an icon :laughlong:  :laughlong:

Will be interesting to see if Melbourne decides to give a twist to the baton arrival, and if so, wot will they do. It's not exactly the most inspiring thing at the moment, they don't have much to work with really. lol.

Having a band do an official song could be good, especially since official songs seem to have gone out of fashion lately at sports events - I think people are sick of the traditional styled ones.

For instance, I've always thought that a song like Run by Shihad would make a great theme song - obviously the song is old and they're a New Zealand band, not Australian - but just to show that it could work.

And bands have been featured at opening ceremony events, I think George was at the RWC2003 opening ceremony, Catatonia at the 99 RWC Opening.

Will be interesting to see if Melbourne decides to give a twist to the baton arrival, and if so, wot will they do. It's not exactly the most inspiring thing at the moment, they don't have much to work with really. lol.

Having a band do an official song could be good, especially since official songs seem to have gone out of fashion lately at sports events - I think people are sick of the traditional styled ones.

For instance, I've always thought that a song like Run by Shihad would make a great theme song - obviously the song is old and they're a New Zealand band, not Australian - but just to show that it could work.

And bands have been featured at opening ceremony events, I think George was at the RWC2003 opening ceremony, Catatonia at the 99 RWC Opening.

If Melbourne goes with a baton like Manchesters with the flashing light in it.. they will certainly have to do what Athens did with the heart beat scene, or some kind of drum ceremony.... Maybe a flashing light on top the Arts Spire every night of the games.

If Melbourne goes with a baton like Manchesters with the flashing light in it.. they will certainly have to do what Athens did with the heart beat scene, or some kind of drum ceremony.... Maybe a flashing light on top the Arts Spire every night of the games.

I don't think the light would work on the Spire, there is already a significant beacon on the Spire... its a long electric blue 'stick'.

Besides the arts centre is for opera, ballet and performing arts, not sport.

Spire_1.jpg

Maybe a beacon flashing, sorta like a lighthouse, might be cool.

I think a heart beat baton is an absolute MUST.

Considering the theme is 'united by the moment', and if they did have a light incorporated into the baton design - then maybe they could do some sort of connection of the Commonwealth.

Have a light, as has been mentioned, placed through landmarks of the Commonwealth. Obviously it would not be night time throughout the Commonwealth if they did it live. But maybe have these things all lit up green or blue or whatever colour they want.

I mean, they do it pink for breast cancer for a week or so around the world. Im just imagining having the likes of the Opera House, the CN Tower, Auckland Skytower, Table Mountain, Big Ben, Taj Mahal etc etc all lit up in one colour.

Possibly launched in a sequence during the baton arrival in the stadium.

I guess the obvious light and laser effects could also be used, likewise, the placement of the baton somewhere could *trigger* something or rather - wot, I don't know.

Considering the theme is 'united by the moment', and if they did have a light incorporated into the baton design - then maybe they could do some sort of connection of the Commonwealth.

Have a light, as has been mentioned, placed through landmarks of the Commonwealth. Obviously it would not be night time throughout the Commonwealth if they did it live. But maybe have these things all lit up green or blue or whatever colour they want.

I mean, they do it pink for breast cancer for a week or so around the world. Im just imagining having the likes of the Opera House, the CN Tower, Auckland Skytower, Table Mountain, Big Ben, Taj Mahal etc etc all lit up in one colour.

I guess the obvious light and laser effects could also be used, likewise, the placement of the baton somewhere could *trigger* something or rather - wot, I don't know.

Lighting up Table Mountain would be hard ….

Maybe incorporate something from every commonwealth “continent” in the baton… Maybe use different woods (plating only) from each part of the globe to construct each baton….

Also, why would they light up the Opera House when the games are in Melbourne?

Maybe a “flashing” federation square… yes disorientating when you come into Flinders street, but golly… how amazing would that be.. it would like turn the city on and off… reputedly.

:P

Lighting up Table Mountain would be hard ….

Maybe incorporate something from every commonwealth “continent” in the baton… Maybe use different woods (plating only) from each part of the globe to construct each baton….

Also, why would they light up the Opera House when the games are in Melbourne?

Maybe a “flashing” federation square… yes disorientating when you come into Flinders street, but golly… how amazing would that be.. it would like turn the city on and off… reputedly.

:P

I thought I should add that there is only one baton, too!  :;):

The scroll sits in the cylinder of the baton.

Unless its Auckland 1990, where there were two msgs in two batons for each island.

It would be tough to light up Table Mountain , however, it is listed as one of the landmarks in the Breast Cancer Pink Ribbon Global Illumination campaign - so they must have managed it.

I'd like up Sydney, in reference to either trying to find a landmark in every previous host city, or, in terms of lighting up something in all of the state capitals.

Almost like getting Australia all done, and then branching out into the rest of the world.

Cathy Freeman was born and raised in Mackay, QLD - not Melbourne - and is now based in LA with her boyfriend, actor Joel Edgeton.

I think Delta is a shoe in - however there has been a bit of press about U2 doing a show to reopen the MCG in late Feb.  Would it be a major faux pas to have Bono and the boys kick proceedings off with 'Elevation' - or maybe a somber memorial moment for the 20 seagulls could be staged to 'One'?  I mean Athens had Bjork - who is sooooo not Greek, and Manchester had S Club 7 who are from the planet Sh!t.

Speaking of M2002 - where was Robbie Williams during the opening?  Take That were based in Manchester, Robbie is from Stoke On Trent which is nearby...

• 5 months later...

What did Sydney 2000 do to keep the social problems of Australian Aborigines from becoming a headache then? Well, it looks like that Melbourne 2006 may not get lucky this time around:

Aborigine Threat To Sports Event

What did Sydney 2000 do to keep the social problems of Australian Aborigines from becoming a headache then? Well, it looks like that Melbourne 2006 may not get lucky this time around:

Aborigine Threat To Sports Event

There was much the same rumblings and threats before Sydney. The solution was to consult, consult and consult some more. Basically, the Aboriginal people were given a big stake in the games _ a major part of the opening ceremony which was directly coordinated by Aboriginal groups themselves, the fact that people like Cathy Freeman and Nova Peris-Kneebone were playing large roles in the games or torch run/ceremonies, and a lot of people involved in the organisation were sympathetic to the Aboriginal cause, etc.

Also, protests WERE allowed in Sydney _ an Aboriginal march took place from Olympic park on the day before the games, and in the months up lots of overseas reporters were free, even encouraged, to talk to Aboriginal groups and visit trouble spots like Redfern in Sydney. When the games happened though the whole thing became a side issue to the main carnival.

I can't see much different happening in Melbourne.

Archived