2007 Swimming World Champs, Melbourne.

:help: Unless I've got my wires crossed, are the 2007 World Champs that are to be hosted in Melbourne going to be at the Tennis Centre??

To quote Rove McMannis...What The?...

The reason is that the tennis facility has more seats!!!

How is this going to be done???

:help: Aussie GB Forum users, how is this going to be done?? :help:

The 'Tennis Centre', is the Rod Laver Arena, a multi purpose venue. It's just known for tennis more because of its name sake, and the Australian Open.

I hope that is not the offcial logo of the event..

I really like the temporary pool set up.  I have contacts at Melbourne And Olympic Parks - and they lobbied very hard for this idea.  Interesting side note - Telstra Dome was also in the running - the plan was to have a temp pool on one side for swimming, etc with a capacity of 25,000 with the other half of the stadium curtained off - like what Atlanta did with the Georgia Dome.  However this would mean fans would all be seated on one side - and thus Rod Laver won out.

It will be a tight fit - the footprint of the GA area of Rod Laver is just 54 metres - add in a 50 metre pool...   :shocked:

It will rock if the roof is open - and if it rains - no probs - roof closed!

As for the logo - yep, that's it at the moment.  Hopefully the mascot can be intergrated and 'Melbourne' typed in much better font.

Im surprised they decided to go with Rod Laver considering Vodafone has a larger floor area. What was wrong with the MSAC Plan. Their outdoor "sailed" pool looked preety impressive. Will it still be used for the Commonwealths?
Im surprised they decided to go with Rod Laver considering Vodafone has a larger floor area. What was wrong with the MSAC Plan. Their outdoor "sailed" pool looked preety impressive. Will it still be used for the Commonwealths?

It will be used for Syncronised Swimming and Water Polo.

The MSAC indoor pool will be used for diving.

With swimming a major sport over there, I'm sure that there will be big crowds there in 2007. Never mind that the 2006 Commonwealth Games, also in Melbourne, will give me some hint on how the championship is going to be like.

Yeah the MSAC pool will be used for the Commonwealth Games swimming, Rod Laver will be hosting gymnastics & basketball and netball.

Sorry to go completely off topis, but we've had a Melbourne for a long time, so i'll post it on this one:

Just wondering.....

Do people think that London's 2012 victory was a blow for   Melbourne, and good news for Brisbane, so far as bidding for future summer olympics is concerned?

The reason why this thought crossed my mind, is that

if/when Melbourne bids again, their bid team will sing a very similar tune to that of Paris- "we have hosted lots of sporting events, we have the facilities already in place- this is a tried and tested formula- pick us, you can't go wrong."

The thing is that, the IOC said "So what?" to Paris, and picked London which didn't have the main stadium up and running, didn't have as much hosting experience as Paris (1998 world cup final, 2003 world athletics). What London did have far more leagacy and had glitzy, new venues to offer.

Similarly, a Brisbane games would have more legacy than a Melbourne games, as Brisbane would have to build most facilties from scratch, and also isn't a previous host the olympics would really transform Brisbane majorly.

Melbourne would simply have to upgrade already existing 2006 facilities- an olympics wouldn't really transform the city in the way that they would for Brisbane.

Cool setting. Just hope that the spectator turnout would be at capacity. If not then it's gonna be weird...

You're talking Australia and swimming here. The struggle won't be to fill the place, the struggle will be to satisfy demand for tickets.

Cool setting. Just hope that the spectator turnout would be at capacity. If not then it's gonna be weird...

You're talking Australia and swimming here. The struggle won't be to fill the place, the struggle will be to satisfy demand for tickets.

Man, it will be a ticket-scalping heaven out there. I can only imagine what the scalpers want a "desparate" spectator to buy those tickets for.

Its simple, Aaron - Rod Laver can host 2,500 ticket buying people more than Vodafone!  Ka-ching!  Simple as that.  Rod Laver will be packed at all sessions as Australia is swimming crazy.  Big time.  Remember the Sydney Olympic Pool had a capacity of 18,900 during the Games and was full for every swimming session as well.

Good news is kiddies - my Mrs works at Ticketek - so I am set for tix before they go on public sale!  YES!  I RULE!

As for a Melbourne Olympic bid - the spiralling costs may force the IOC to set an example for future hosts - thus Melbourne would be perfect.  With the new 30,000 seat soccer/rugby stadium about to be built at Olympic Park, Melbourne would literally need no new venues.  Upgrades would be minimal as Rod Laver is getting overhauled and refitted in late 2006.

Archived