2015 Athletics World Champs

The 2009 World Champs in Berlin are nearly finishing.

2011 and 2013 are already selected: DAEGU (South Korea) in 2011 and MOSCOW (Russia) in 2013.

But which cities do you think will apply for the 2015 World Champs? Which are the ones with more possibilities to win?

I think that if Madrid doesn't win in October, it may be a candidate. The World Champs have gone ouside Europe only 3 times: Tokyo 1991, Edmonton 2001 and Daegu 2011. Do you think it will be more 'international' in future Champs? For example, will it be able to go to the USA in 2015 or 2017?

2011 and 2013 are already selected: DAEGU (South Korea) in 2011 and MOSCOW (Russia) in 2013.

But which cities do you think will apply for the 2015 World Champs? Which are the ones with more possibilities to win?

I think that if Madrid doesn't win in October, it may be a candidate. The World Champs have gone ouside Europe only 3 times: Tokyo 1991, Edmonton 2001 and Daegu 2011. Do you think it will be more 'international' in future Champs? For example, will it be able to go to the USA in 2015 or 2017?

The reason that it stays in Europe is that athletics is supported better in Europe than any other part of the globe. Further, the facilities are great in Europe.

The United states hosting would be an interesting host but does not have an athletics facility capable of hosting the world athletics championships. It would either have to build one specifically or maybe, if possible, install a temporary track into one of their large football stadiums.

I'm sure China will bid in the future as will London I'm sure.

4 times, Tokyo 1991, Edmonton 2001, Osaka 2007 and Daegu 2011.

I would see Madrid/Barcelona or Rome, maybe Oslo, they are upgrading their main stadium.

Mexico has some of the facilities and Guadalajara could use the upgrades from the Pan Ams in 2011 to host.

And Oaky - there is the facilities in the USA, but they are not in the major cities, they are in the university towns. The IAAF does not want Stanford 2015 or Ann Arbor 2015.

Though by 2015 I think its high time the championships go to Africa, Casablanca or Cape Town. Its unfortunate that Ethiopia or Kenya aren't capable of hosting.

4 times, Tokyo 1991, Edmonton 2001, Osaka 2007 and Daegu 2011.

I would see Madrid/Barcelona or Rome, maybe Oslo, they are upgrading their main stadium.

Mexico has some of the facilities and Guadalajara could use the upgrades from the Pan Ams in 2011 to host.

And Oaky - there is the facilities in the USA, but they are not in the major cities, they are in the university towns. The IAAF does not want Stanford 2015 or Ann Arbor 2015.

Though by 2015 I think its high time the championships go to Africa, Casablanca or Cape Town. Its unfortunate that Ethiopia or Kenya aren't capable of hosting.

Can the US not just install a track in the LA coliseum? That's if they want to host of course. I think a championship in the US would be great.

Can the US not just install a track in the LA coliseum? That's if they want to host of course. I think a championship in the US would be great.

The Coliseum is a 90,000 seater. I don't think they would fill it most nights. Of course they could always digitallay lop off the top tier. ;) And installing a state-of-the-art track for what? 2 weeks would probably cost $400,000. I remember for 1984, they put it in and then took it for $250,000. And of course, they'd have to see if USC will donate some dorms for the athletes for 2 weeks.

You'll see another Japanese bid - I hear Hiroshima and Tokyo are interested. Possibly Malaysia too. As for Australia there was talk after Brisbane missed out on 2011/2013 that Melbourne would bid - and they'd put the track back in the MCG (they only need to reconfigure a small part of a stand to do so) - however it seems that all energies are rightfully being poured into the FIFA World Cup bidd right now. So I wouldnt expect an Aussie bid (bar maybe a CG bid) for anything until that is decided.

why is there no urgency to send it to africa? poor casablanca is tired of bidding

They could be waiting for Nairobi to get their sh!t together. Africa has won about 25 medals this time around, they need to compete on African soil soon.

Anyways, maybe Kingston, Jamaica. They would need probably a 100million dollar upgrade to their main stadium but still they have been such a force in the sport for so long.

Outside of the L.A. Coliseum, the only other city in the U.S. I could see hosting is Seattle with Husky Stadium on the campus of the University of Washington. The stadium is due for a facelift anyway. Stanford is no longer a possibility since they more or less demolished the old Stanford Stadium and rebuilt it with a smaller capacity and removed the athletics track.

The other concern I would have is would the U.S. even take an interest in an athletics competition that is not part of the Olympics?

• 4 weeks later...

Rio de Janeiro (Brazil), Tokyo (Japan) & Beijing (China) are actually candidates to host the 2015 IAAF World Championships in Athletics

http://www.sportbusiness.com/news/170496/b...world-athletics

Rio de Janeiro (Brazil), Tokyo (Japan) & Beijing (China) are actually candidates to host the 2015 IAAF World Championships in Athletics

Hmmmmm? How do you think that would play. Assuming, if, in just under two weeks time, Rio ends-up winning the big one, would that be a plus for the 2015 IAAF bid (a perfect test event) or a minus (not ANOTHER event in Brazil)?

Hmmmmm? How do you think that would play. Assuming, if, in just under two weeks time, Rio ends-up winning the big one, would that be a plus for the 2015 IAAF bid (a perfect test event) or a minus (not ANOTHER event in Brazil)?

The IAAF will take its decision after the 2016 hosting election.

So, this has no interference in the olympic process.

If Rio or Tokyo is successful for 2016, they will have no chance for the IAAF 2015 and I probably suppose they will resign for this bid.

In fact, if we forget the 2015 Olympic race, I think that Tokyo is out of the race (to soon after Osaka 2007) so the big candidate are Rio & Beijing.

Rio would be interesting because of the opening to a new area. As for Olympics, South America never hosted the World Champs in Athletics.

Beijing could be a good choice to use the olympic legacy.... but I probably think it would to soon for Asia after Japan 2007 & Korea 2011 !!!

But... as some main IAAF sponsors are from Asia.... as Rio will host the 2016 Olympic Games.... as the "Bird's Nest" is an incredible venue..... so the favorite is BEIJING ! ;)

Archived