Ioc And Voting

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I still hope she doesn't take part in the presentation ofr more than 2 minutes. A typical exaggerated "CHI-CA-GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" of hers would be more than enough :lol:

Lol.

Oprah does have the tendency to shout sometimes. Bless her big liitle heart! :lol:

Fascinating update on the IOC vote from the AP:

"IOC vice president Chiharu Igaya said "many" IOC members are undecided and will choose only after the cities' final presentations Friday. "The four cities are now neck-to-neck," he told the AP.

"That final presentation, yes, it's going to be crucial," said Willi Kaltschmitt, an IOC member since 1988. He said he believes that half or more of his 105 colleagues remain undecided.

Added British IOC member Craig Reedie: "This is really close. The closer it gets the more people will say, let me think about it. We all want to see the presentations. It's what people see that will count. Decided? No, I haven't actually. I'm getting close."

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/articl...lJaIHAD9B1OSV00

If it is true that many members are undecided, I would think that would favor Chicago. There's no question that Chicago's momentum has been building, while Rio has declined slightly. Plus, if the "new frontier" argument is going to sway a given member, it should have persuaded them already -- why still undecided? Finally, if so many members are still uncommitted then some of the votes that Rio and Madrid claim they have wrapped up are still up for grabs.

They always say that though. Oh, I'm undecided! Most of them will know who they are voting for. That bitch Oprah will have bribed them all with cars anyway! :lol:

Very disturbing quote from Dick Pound in this article. He says that Obama flying half way around the world to show is support is "going a bit over the top." ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Dick Pound has been quoted in MANY sources saying that Chicago needed Obama to appear on their behalf and that they would be at a major disadvantage if he didn't. Talk about changing your tune. This is hypocrisy in action and it makes me think that behind closed doors the executive board of the IOC may have already concluded that they want Rio no matter what.

This quote makes me LIVID!

http://www.pjstar.com/sports_olympics/x576...welcome-for-now

Very disturbing quote from Dick Pound in this article. He says that Obama flying half way around the world to show is support is "going a bit over the top." ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Dick Pound has been quoted in MANY sources saying that Chicago needed Obama to appear on their behalf and that they would be at a major disadvantage if he didn't. Talk about changing your tune. This is hypocrisy in action and it makes me think that behind closed doors the executive board of the IOC may have already concluded that they want Rio no matter what.

This quote makes me LIVID!

http://www.pjstar.com/sports_olympics/x576...welcome-for-now

See, I think these IOC'ers have this vision that the world leaders who will come to them to curry favor MUST ARRIVE royally, like 3 days before, hand-in-hand, like a state visit. None of this Mrs. goes ahead and does some groundwork while the Mr. just shows up for SHowtime. None of these 2 jet deals. Get with it, guys!! They're a working couple!!

It seems to me like Obama was trying to strike a compromise. He's already getting roundly criticized for an 18 hour trip. If he had gone for 3 or 4 days, the Republicans would be screaming bloody murder. If he hadn't gone at all, the IOC would have felt slighted. He is still the first U.S. president to attend an IOC session and his presence is a huge vote of confidence for Chicago and a major indication of respect for the Olympic Movement.

It seems to me like Obama was trying to strike a compromise. He's already getting roundly criticized for an 18 hour trip. If he had gone for 3 or 4 days, the Republicans would be screaming bloody murder. If he hadn't gone at all, the IOC would have felt slighted. He is still the first U.S. president to attend an IOC session and his presence is a huge vote of confidence for Chicago and a major indication of respect for the Olympic Movement.

I think it's important to take a breath for a second and read the quote again:

Pound said Obama’s visit would enhance the campaign but was perhaps “going over the top a bit” given his busy schedule. He's acknowledged this himself a few time already

“You’ve got the leader of the free world flying halfway round the world to show up to make sure everybody understands he is supporting his country,” Pound said. “Is that a good use of his time?”

I see it as more a commentary on how, especially this cycle, it became expected that the country's chief executive would fly in for the final presentation - and that any President / Prime Minister not there would stick out. And that the IOC vote became the most important concern of the country's leadership. This is becoming expected given the current profile of the Games but is probably making the IOC rather uncomfortable. He is probably signaling what other IOC members are also stating - that they would rather the government leaders stay back and govern and let the bid teams handle the IOC election by themselves and that next cycle, they would rather not see government leaders in the delegations.

CHItown '16

About Oprah... She is a star for US and some other countries

In Brazil (we have Oprah on cable TV) and many countries of the world, people tend to ask: "Ok, Oprah is there and what?"

It's like some american baseball stars... They are richer (and famous in US) than many known Int'l soccer players, but outside US nobody knows them...

I already know what she'll be saying on Friday, after the U.S. gets defeated once again in the IOC vote:

oprah_weight_gain.jpg

:lol:

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

How much do you weigh??? <_<

The problem is that DICK POUND is the one who is saying it. The statement itself isn't that big a deal, but coming from HIM it's infuriating. He has been extremely vocal for the last month about how it was imperative that Obama be in Copenhagen. Now he's questioning whether it's a good use of his time. That's what irritates me. That's what makes me think that Pound is flipping sides.

I think it's important to take a breath for a second and read the quote again:

I see it as more a commentary on how, especially this cycle, it became expected that the country's chief executive would fly in for the final presentation - and that any President / Prime Minister not there would stick out. And that the IOC vote became the most important concern of the country's leadership. This is becoming expected given the current profile of the Games but is probably making the IOC rather uncomfortable. He is probably signaling what other IOC members are also stating - that they would rather the government leaders stay back and govern and let the bid teams handle the IOC election by themselves and that next cycle, they would rather not see government leaders in the delegations.

CHItown '16

Sorry, guys. I accidentally copied the wrong quote. The above post is supposed to be a response to ChiTown's comments.

About Oprah... She is a star for US and some other countries

In Brazil (we have Oprah on cable TV) and many countries of the world, people tend to ask: "Ok, Oprah is there and what?"

It's like some american baseball stars... They are richer (and famous in US) than many known Int'l soccer players, but outside US nobody knows them...

It's quite understandable to not really know Oprah outside the US. But if you want to know why she's so popular and carries such importance and credibility in US pop culture is because she somehow represents the American dream. Growing up poor, black and a woman in the United States is something that is not easily understandable for people outside the US. Everything was stacked against her. She started out news reporting then, got a talk show gig that initially focused on the negative aspects of the American family then shifted course to promoting personal responsibility and personal achievement and then boom. We had the "O" effect. Not only she asked regular Americans to help themselves, but she's also transformed daytime TV and promoted unique products. Many business schools study the "O" effect which resembles the Midas touch in the Marketing world. Any business mentioned in her show is expected to generate an increase in sales and brand recognition. When Oprah says a product is good or a store is great, expect people to literally form lines outside stores and wipe out inventories--and imagine this in the most crowded and largest market in the world. She's well-liked by many because she worked her butt off and earned the respect of many. She's also hated because she's managed to earn billions of dollars. Interstingly, even if she's the richest black woman in the world with a net worth of at least $2 billion, she's only ranked #5 as the richest in Chicago.

I can't believe the sycophancy on this MB concerning Obama. Respect for the Olympic Movement? More like respect for "I want to get some more adoration and adulation and bestow my wonderfulness on the IOC and get the credit for Chicago if Chicago wins...Yes I do!"

On the other hand, it's plausible to surmise that a risk-averse calculating politico like Obama would not go to Denmark unless he's been assured of something...so he can bask in the reflected glory of a done deal.

That's just the point. It's not a done deal. A lot of people are irritated with Obama for his choice. His respect for the Olympic Movement is genuine (note creation of permanent Olympic office in White House.)

I am not a sycophant. Incidentally, I did not vote for Obama...

I can't believe the sycophancy on this MB concerning Obama. Respect for the Olympic Movement? More like respect for "I want to get some more adoration and adulation and bestow my wonderfulness on the IOC and get the credit for Chicago if Chicago wins...Yes I do!"

On the other hand, it's plausible to surmise that a risk-averse calculating politico like Obama would not go to Denmark unless he's been assured of something...so he can bask in the reflected glory of a done deal.

Or, less cynically, this plays well to one of his major campaigning themes, which was for the US to act like a more equal partner in world affairs rather than a leader that can sit back and dictate affairs from an ivory tower.

If he doesn't go, internationally, it looks like he's detached and above it all.

If he does go, domestically, the Republicans will cry out that there is so much to do and he shouldn't be taking 18 hours to attend the presentation.

Personally, I think it's time better spent than his predecessor's tendency of going down to Texas to clear some overgrown weeds from his ranch. You're an everyman Dubya...we get it.

I think the GOP is only trying to attack Obama because that's in their DNA. The complaints make no sense. The guy will be out for a day and will probably throw a good speech on the new US foreign policy approach linking it to the Chicago Games. If he was really that dedicated, he would be there already lobbying with the IOC, like Tony Blair did.

Anyway, his speech might cause a good impact and swing some votes, but that will depend on the others. Yesterday, Lula gave a press conference and compared Rio's bid to his history of life. I bet that will be the center of his speech tomorrow.

Where as of course for the King of Spain and Pres of Brazil it's different is it? Perleeease.

Archived