Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

harbin2018

Changchun Or Harbin? China's 2018 Bid

I just saw a report saying Changchun and Harbin are both in the 2018 race for the support of Chinese government. Both cities successfully hosted Asian Winter Games before, but only one of them can represent China to bid for 2018 WG.

http://sports.sina.com.cn/o/2009-08-18/15064542572.shtml (Chinese)

Changchun has newer sports venues due to the 2007 Asian WG. I seems China will probably bid but Harbin might even lose in the domestic race.

I just saw a report saying Changchun and Harbin are both in the 2018 race for the support of Chinese government. Both cities successfully hosted Asian Winter Games before, but only one of them can represent China to bid for 2018 WG.

http://sports.sina.com.cn/o/2009-08-18/15064542572.shtml (Chinese)

Changchun has newer sports venues due to the 2007 Asian WG. I seems China will probably bid but Harbin might even lose in the domestic race.

I don't knowmuch about Changchun. What's the plusses and minuses of both bids?

I don't know either of them that well. Changchun is an emerging city with a lot of auto and high-tech industries, while Harbin is culturally rich and internationally more famous. Also, tourism is a significant industry in Harbin.

I think China will still pick Harbin since efforts have been invested in this city since its last bid for 2010 WG.

Well there is no "aobsolutely" thing in this world. Although I myself support Harbin, I'd love to see some competition from Changchun so that Harbin won't take it for granted. Particularly, Changchun is just marginally smaller than Harbin, and both are larger than Vancouver. Therefore, size is not a problem for Changchun at all.

Harbin depends more on tourism and is better know to the world thanks to its 2010 bid. That's why I hope China will focus and pick Harbin.

I don't bet on a success this time, though. China might actually aim at 2022 and use 2018 as a preparation for that. Obviously, either Changchun or Harbin, once short-listed, would hurt their neighbor PC.

Chinese Goverment will absolutely prefer Harbin. Changchun is smaller and not as famous as Harbin.

Wow,as a Harbin citiezen,i actually prefer Harbin~

But Changchun does have some superiors, for example the enveroment and the temprature.

I think it will help Harbin do much better for the bid.

I think Harbin would have the experience over Changchun. After all, they did had prelim bids in 2002? and 2010. If the Chinese Olympic Commitee went with Changchun, they would have to start from stratch in promoting their bid. On they other hand, Changchun has a similar population size when compared to other recent WOG hosts such as Vancouver, Turin and Sochi, about 2.9 million.

Well, Changchun is just a understudy for Harbin. Harbin held 1996 Asia Winter Games,then Changchun held 2007. And it's Harbin represented China to hold the Winter Universiad early this year in 2009. This two city may be not in the same level.

Harbin depends more on tourism and is better know to the world thanks to its 2010 bid.

I think Harbin is known by the Ice & Snow Festival and its winter culture, not due to its 2010 bid, because we even didn't short-listed then. Nationally, Harbin is much more favoured than Changchun. Chairman Mao Zedong even prefered Harbin as the nation's capital when China was founded in 1949.

Totally agree with you except that Changchun has a metro population of ~3.6 million compared with that of Vancouver (2.1 million) and of Harbin (4.7 million).

Source from Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Changchun

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vancouver

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harbin

I think Harbin would have the experience over Changchun. After all, they did had prelim bids in 2002? and 2010. If the Chinese Olympic Commitee went with Changchun, they would have to start from stratch in promoting their bid. On they other hand, Changchun has a similar population size when compared to other recent WOG hosts such as Vancouver, Turin and Sochi, about 2.9 million.

How funny and it does not help to exaggerate Harbin's impact in China. Changchun is after all a respectable rival for Harbin. Sorry for my hard words but you need grow up.

Well, Changchun is just a understudy for Harbin. Harbin held 1996 Asia Winter Games,then Changchun held 2007. And it's Harbin represented China to hold the Winter Universiad early this year in 2009. This two city may be not in the same level.

I think Harbin is known by the Ice & Snow Festival and its winter culture, not due to its 2010 bid, because we even didn't short-listed then. Nationally, Harbin is much more favoured than Changchun. Chairman Mao Zedong even prefered Harbin as the nation's capital when China was founded in 1949.

How funny and it does not help to exaggerate Harbin's impact in China. Changchun is after all a respectable rival for Harbin. Sorry for my hard words but you need grow up.

Allow me some hard words of my own: Changchun is a DUMP. With no redeeming scenery or nearby attractions for an international visitor. (Please don't bother mentioning Changbaishan--it's many many hours away and practically in North Korea.) Changchun would probably be a weirder choice than Sochi, existing venues or no.

The Central Gov't might make a show of "considering" Changchun in order to achieve some non-Olympic related political maneuvering for city/Jilin province officials behind the scenes, or to keep Harbin on its toes and get some intra-China concessions. But if the chips are down between these two cities, it will pick Harbin for all kinds of reasons, of that I have no doubt. Assuming it allows a 2018 bid to go forward at all.

To be fair Jie Jie - I have been to both Harbin and Changchun - neither is exactly a tourist mecca. Both are your bog standard second tier Chinese industrial cities with very little going for them. Harbin redeems itself by being a bit greener and having the Ice festival every winter. Harbin or Changchun in summer are both absolute shitholes.

Both have suitable mountain facilities, both have relatively modern infrastructure. Both are severely lacking when it comes to transport and accommodation. Both with seven years notice could host a great Winter Olympics. Harbin is more recognised outside of China though. By saying that hardly anybody would know either city - but some may have heard or seen photos of the Harbin Ice festival.

To be fair Jie Jie - I have been to both Harbin and Changchun - neither is exactly a tourist mecca. Both are your bog standard second tier Chinese industrial cities with very little going for them.

You may don't know that Harbin is one of the TOP 5 China's Travel Destinations and has the largest number of tourists every winter in China......

I agree with jiejie about Changchun. It's a city with No Features.

You may don't know that Harbin is one of the TOP 5 China's Travel Destinations and has the largest number of tourists every winter in China......

I agree with jiejie about Changchun. It's a city with No Features.

I do know that - I've been to both cities in winter and in summer - I wouldn't just post an opinion without having the facts to back it up. My personal experiences lead me to believe that Harbin is better suited. In winter Harbin (while freezing cold) has a lot going for it. But if we are strictly talking about the ability to host a winter sports event - then both Harbin and Changchun can feasibly do it. Harbin would have the edge hotel room wise - however both cities need major improvements beefore they are as ready as say Munich or even arguably Pyeongchang.

I do know that - I've been to both cities in winter and in summer - I wouldn't just post an opinion without having the facts to back it up. My personal experiences lead me to believe that Harbin is better suited. In winter Harbin (while freezing cold) has a lot going for it. But if we are strictly talking about the ability to host a winter sports event - then both Harbin and Changchun can feasibly do it. Harbin would have the edge hotel room wise - however both cities need major improvements beefore they are as ready as say Munich or even arguably Pyeongchang.

Yeah, Harbin's winter is very cold. :lol:

http://news.sina.com.cn/

The competition between Changchun and Harbin is today's headline of Sina News!

I still believe that Harbin is a better choice for China but won't be surprised even if Changchun wins the domestic race. With a support from China's strong economy, Changchun will be able to host a WOG sooner or later. I have no ties with either Harbin or Changchun and wanted to be objective.

I admit to being biased against Changchun, not just because it's a dump but also for the fact that it's in Jilin Province. Some seriously bad juju in that province, even by Chinese standards. I'll leave it at that.

Hahaha! I know all about Chinese opinions about Jilin! Enough said!

I do think we'll hear that Harbin is the internal candidate city. I don't realy think either city will win 2018 but Harbin may have the better chance.

In all means it's worthwhile for China to compete in 2018 race. China/Japan and their supporters will hopefully kick PC 2018 out in order to leave Asia possible to host 2022 WOG, which might be the ultimate aim of Harbin.

Hahaha! I know all about Chinese opinions about Jilin! Enough said!

I do think we'll hear that Harbin is the internal candidate city. I don't realy think either city will win 2018 but Harbin may have the better chance.