Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

memorabilia

Who Will Be The One After Jacques Rogge ?

I think there are 5 realistic candidates and 1 WTF.

1. Thomas Bach. Influential German member that is well liked holds considerable sway within the ExCo. Quite, unassuming and definately of the Rogge mold.

2. Richard Carrion. Highly influential Puerto Rican that has driven revenue for almost two decades. A very powerful member and a leading figure in the final years of Samaranch's presidency.

3. John Coates. Popular and higly esteemed NOC president, one which has a lot of good will. Been around awhile and has been considered a possible president for years.

4. Nawal el Moutawakel. She has been the voice of the technical requirements of an Olympic Games for almost a decade. A popular and charasmatic women that would provide the IOC with the greatest level of PR. A Female, African, Muslim president. She might be too young.

5. Gerhard Heiberg. A powerful and popular member. Maybe a little too outspoken to be president, but from a relatively safe country. Would be ironic given that 2022 looks like it is 20slo22.

WTF. Richard Pound.

My preference is el Moutawakel.

I reckon Coates would be good pres, he's proven a great political operator in Oz and has done magnificently in protecting and furthering the AOC's interests, but as has been pointed out here, he's on record in saying the IOC pres should be European because of the Eurocentric nature of all the IFs. Hope he's just foxing and downplaying his ambitions, though.

I think the next election's just a bit too soon for el Moutawakel. I think she'll be a strong challenger (assuming she maintains her reputation and popularity) next time round.

I think in the end, the presidency needs to leave Europe. I think the PR of the next president will be important. Instead of another old, white European you could have Nawal el Moutawakel. For an organization that wishes to be more then sport, taking the bold move of a female president, from Africa and a Muslim would be a huge step in looking like a progressive institution.

I'd like to see anon-European president. I like the idea of Nawal a lot, but it does seem a little early for her. Stranger things have happened though...,

I think in the end, the presidency needs to leave Europe. I think the PR of the next president will be important. Instead of another old, white European you could have Nawal el Moutawakel. For an organization that wishes to be more then sport, taking the bold move of a female president, from Africa and a Muslim would be a huge step in looking like a progressive institution.

In other words, a female Barack Obama.

I'd like to see anon-European president. I like the idea of Nawal a lot, but it does seem a little early for her. Stranger things have happened though...,

Why is it too soon for her? She has served for 13 years, which is longer then most IOC members. Moreover, if the IOC is really trying to create gender equality and attract youth why not elect the youngest and a female candidate?

Why is it too soon for her? She has served for 13 years, which is longer then most IOC members. Moreover, if the IOC is really trying to create gender equality and attract youth why not elect the youngest and a female candidate?

Well, she's presided over some evaluation committees, and been on the exec board, but I don't think she's served as a vice president yet (anyone correct me if I'm wrong), which is usually considered a bit of a stepping stone towards the top. She's definitely moving forward and up in the IOC, but probably needs that VP slot before she can realistically aim higher.

Well its true, but it is only a matter of time before el Moutawakel becomes a Vice President.

One question for those older then I, but why did Mario Vasquez Rana never pursue power? He has certainly been a powerful IOC member for some time.

One question for those older then I, but why did Mario Vasquez Rana never pursue power? He has certainly been a powerful IOC member for some time.

I agree, El Moutawakel would have the be one of the safest bets to make a vice p-residency soon. And after that, who knows?

As to Rana, well, off the top of my head I'd just guess he's always had an extremely strong power base through PASO and ANOC to date, so he's probably never really felt the need to go that one step further. And also remember, he's never been exactly popular with the rank and file of the wider IOC membership - again correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Samaranch have to propose him twice on separate occasions before they grudgingly voted him in? I seem to remember (just don't have my books with me at work) that there was a lot of disquiet, particularly among the female members, about Sama wanting him in the tent at all.

I agree, El Moutawakel would have the be one of the safest bets to make a vice p-residency soon. And after that, who knows?

As to Rana, well, off the top of my head I'd just guess he's always had an extremely strong power base through PASO and ANOC to date, so he's probably never really felt the need to go that one step further. And also remember, he's never been exactly popular with the rank and file of the wider IOC membership - again correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Samaranch have to propose him twice on separate occasions before they grudgingly voted him in? I seem to remember (just don't have my books with me at work) that there was a lot of disquiet, particularly among the female members, about Sama wanting him in the tent.

He didn't pursue further power, because he didn't want to constantly keep travelling to Europe.

He didn't pursue further power, because he didn't want to constantly keep travelling to Europe.

If he's ever said that (and do you have a source?) I'm sure it's just a justification - and it's not like ANOC is a stay at home role. The truth is, he's long been, with Sepp, one of the most loathed members among the wider IOC.

If he's ever said that (and do you have a source?) I'm sure it's just a justification - and it's not like ANOC is a stay at home role. The truth is, he's long been, with Sepp, one of the most loathed members among the wider IOC.

I remember reading it somewhere don't know where though.

Pound? Sorry, but his thunder was capped by Samaranch. He could have been IOC president, if Samaranch were to have stepped down some years earlier. So, no dice for Pound here.

However, what is the deadline for IOC members, who want to be IOC President, have to submit their intentions? Also, does the candidate have to be able to fluently speak the two official languages of the Olympic Movement: English and French? If so, then this part is starting to look like Canadian politicians who want to be a future Prime Minister of Canada: be able to speak both languages.

As for Nawal, that would be an interesting choice. She has some unique experiences in the Olympic Movement on her resume, plus that I think she understands and speaks the official languages, too. In other words, she has potential to advance herself in the future with the Movement, whatever that may be.