Who Will Be The One After Jacques Rogge ?

In Copenhagen, he is the name that is circulating in off as the big contender for this position in 4 years...

And that could be an handicap for Munchen 2018, even if the election of the host city for the 2018 WOG would be 2 years before the IOC presidential election...

I agree. I think Bach is a huge disadvantage for Munich. I dont like him and I hope he will sacrifice his ambition for Munich.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What about Thomas Bach? I believe he is the VP of the IOC.

Thomas Bach made this morning 2 great reports to the Copenhagen Session.

He used both French & English with eloquence.

Ready to be president....

Sarah Palin!!

"You betcha, I call the Joe six-packs of the world to assemble four years from now..."

sarah_palin2.jpg

Seriously, I don't know the IOC well enough, but maybe Nawal or Bubka. They seem to be pretty active.

Well, I didn't think this deserved a thread of its own (only if it HADN'T have happened), but Rogge's been officially re-elected:

COPENHAGEN — The International Olympic Committee (IOC) re-elected IOC President Jacques Rogge in an 88-1 vote today at the close of the 121st Session.

After thanking IOC members for their continued support, Rogge outlined an ambitious second-term agenda to strengthen and improve the Olympic Movement. IOC presidents are restricted to an eight-year term, followed by a single four-year term.

IOC

Okay, witch-hunt time! Who was the ONE who voted against???

• 2 months later...

Bach confirms plan to stand again for IOC Executive Board

January 4 - Thomas Bach confirmed today that he will seek election next month for another four-year term on the International Olympic Committee's ruling Executive Board.

The 56-year-old German claimed that he "had been asked by many people to run for another term" when his current period as IOC vice-president ends.

But he can run for another four-year term to sit on the Executive Board when the IOC members vote on it at their 122nd Session, which is due to take place on the eve of the Winter Olympics in Vancouver.

Bach, a former fencer who won an Olympic gold at Montreal in 1976, was elected as a member of the IOC in 1991 and served eight years on the Executive Board between 1996 and 2004.

Bach, the founding President of the German Olympic Sports Confederation (DOSB), is tipped by several experts as a potential successor to Jacques Rogge when the Belgian steps down as President of the IOC in 2013.

Rogge himself has claimed Bach is one of "five, six" IOC members who might succeed him in 2013 after 12 years in office.

In a recent interview, Rogge said: "He has much knowledge and he knows the Olympic Movement very, very well.

http://www.insidethegames.biz/index.php?op...d=1:latest-news

Nawal Breaks Glass Ceiling

Winner of the 400m hurdles in Los Angeles, she is the first female gold medalist from an Islamic nation and the first gold medalist -- male or female -- for Morocco.

Since then, El Moutawakel has become an important figure in her country, serving as minister of Youth and Sport.

Now in her 11th year as an IOC member (and known as Nawal among her colleagues), this week she has become the first woman named to chair the influential coordination commission for an upcoming Olympics, 2016 in Rio de Janeiro.

Intentionally or not, IOC President Jacques Rogge may have signaled a favorite to succeed him when he steps down in 2013. After all, it was Jacques Rogge's tenure as Coordination Commission chairman for the Sydney and Athens Olympics that put him on the path to take over from Juan Antonio Samaranch in 2001.

Professionally pre-occupied with developing sport among youth in Morocco, El Moutawakel also would seem to be a good fit with the IOC's growing task of reconnecting the youth of the world with the Olympics. She might present a new direction for the IOC that can't be found in the traditional stomping grounds of Olympic leaders: Europe.

No IOC member has yet to publicly declare his or her intent to seek the IOC presidency, but the field of qualified candidates may number only a half dozen. Those who could draw the votes of their colleagues are even fewer.

And at age 52 in 2013, El Moutawakel also has time in her IOC tenure (she can retire at 80) to sit this one out and let the lions of Europe have one last roar before she breaks a new glass ceiling.

ATR

I disagree with ART.

What mainly boots Jacques Rogge for the IOC presidency is position has Head of EOC (European Olympic Committees) during 12 years.

Regarding Nawal, i am not sure that mostly old male IOC members are ready to vote for a woman from Islamic confession.

2013 it's to soon for her.

As mentionned ATR, she is still young... she could still stay 31 years by IOC !!!! May be in the next decade, but not in this one.

She started with 2 evaluation commission, she continues with a coordination commission.... next step IOC vice-president

• 4 weeks later...

I'd say if I had a lazy $20 and was looking to place a bet my selection would be Thomas Bach from Germany once he sorts out his own immediate future, with as a smokey for a side bet Gerhard Heiberg. And for a 'WTF' offering how about the wily old falangist's son, mini-Juan? Papi's influence would surely still have some pull.

If someone like Princess Anne or Anita de France can't make IOC presidency don't expect El Moutawakel to make the position.

I'd say if I had a lazy $20 and was looking to place a bet my selection would be Thomas Bach from Germany once he sorts out his own immediate future, with as a smokey for a side bet Gerhard Heiberg. And for a 'WTF' offering how about the wily old falangist's son, mini-Juan? Papi's influence would surely still have some pull.

If someone like Princess Anne or Anita de France can't make IOC presidency don't expect El Moutawakel to make the position.

I doubt that Princess Anne ever wanted to be IOC President. Anita de France, definitely wanted it.

I doubt that Princess Anne ever wanted to be IOC President. Anita de France, definitely wanted it.

Yeah...Anne Windsor has always been happy to be a common or garden IOC member, Olympic bronze medallist and something or other in line to the British throne. Shame in a way but she could never really go for the pozzie of Prez.

De Frantz (oops on the previous spelling) however has been a serious player in IOC politics for at least 18 years. Whomever is an IOC member in the US will always have tickets on themselves and conversely the IOC president's baton in their Gucci bag given to them by Salt Lake's bid committee :P .

I'm not sure Princess Ann would be allowed to be IOC President, even if she wanted to be. President of the IOC can be quite a political role sometimes - members of the British Royal family (in theory) aren't supposed to express any political bias.

I'm not sure Princess Ann would be allowed to be IOC President, even if she wanted to be. President of the IOC can be quite a political role sometimes - members of the British Royal family (in theory) aren't supposed to express any political bias.

Interesting point, however would that only really relate to the position of the royal family within British politics? I'm sure that if Princess Anne was involved in some hypothetical situation as a potential IOC President that impinged upon British domestic affairs then she would be constitutionally bound to remain apart from the situation. On the other hand, if she was IOC prez and it was unrelated to British domestic politics then she could nominally have carte blanche.

The grey area could be in matters of foreign affairs where the British government took one position and the IOC president was required to do something different (e.g. perhaps a sporting boycott of Iran). Who knows how that'd be resolved, if it could be.

One question though, if Anne is supposed to steer clear of involvement in British politics how can she have had a role (if indeed she did) in boosting British Olympic bids? Ultimately acquiring the rights to host a games is a political process undertaken by the governing party, and whilst in most occasions its bipartisan is it right for Anne to have any role supporting a British bid or games which is actually government policy. Or to be even more byzantine, how does she stand with Australian, Canadian or NZ Olympic bids or hosting when the royals are supposed to be uninvolved with those respective governments as well.

I know...all like angels dancing on pin heads, but I do like to stir up the BS factor here ;)

February 12 - Thomas Bach's chances of replacing Jacques Rogge as President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) when he steps down in 2013 have been boosted after he was today re-elected as vice-president.

The German, a lawyer and former fencing champion who won an Olympic gold medal at the 1976 Montreal Games, is considered the favourite to succeed Rogge.

http://www.insidethegames.biz/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=8982:bach-leadership-chances-boosted-after-re-election&catid=1:latest-news

• 2 years later...

From my point of view, Thomas Bach would be the one elected in September 2013.... a few days after Tokyo would have been the one elected for the 2020 SOG !

Europe for the presidency & Asia for the Games (not the opposite !!! Sorry Ng, Sorry Madrid & Istanbul)

From my point of view, Thomas Bach would be the one elected in September 2013.... a few days after Tokyo would have been the one elected for the 2020 SOG !

Europe for the presidency & Asia for the Games (not the opposite !!! Sorry Ng, Sorry Madrid & Istanbul)

I think Bach will win the IOC vote as well.

I have two people in mind to be the next President of the IOC they are Ng Ser Miang of Singapore headed the 2010 Youth Olympics a Singapore ambassador Singapore to Hungary and Norway his the first IOC Vice President and he would be the first Asian to be the President of the IOC and Thomas Bach of Germany.

Archived