Who Will Be The One After Jacques Rogge ?

Rogge to resign from IOC after 2013 if re-elected this year ...............;;

http://www.sportbusiness.com/news/170237/r..._campaign=aug18

Who could be the next president of the IOC in 2013 ????

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seb Coe would be great. He's not a member yet, and is too wrapped up in 2012 to be thinking about it yet. If London is a huge success (no reason to believe it won't be) i'm sure his name will be in the frame.

Rogge to resign from IOC after 2013 if re-elected this year ...............;;

http://www.sportbusiness.com/news/170237/r..._campaign=aug18

Who could be the next president of the IOC in 2013 ????

MOI! The great-grandson of the founder!! :lol:

It's my time to make my debut on the international stage...after all, I (together with your help) have picked the next Olympic host cities for the next 5,000 years!!

Seb Coe would be great. He's not a member yet, and is too wrapped up in 2012 to be thinking about it yet. If London is a huge success (no reason to believe it won't be) i'm sure his name will be in the frame.

I highly doubt someone that isn't even an IOC member yet (and by 2013 could only potentially be an IOC member for a couple of months to a year) will be elected over respected and long standing members.

I highly doubt someone that isn't even an IOC member yet (and by 2013 could only potentially be an IOC member for a couple of months to a year) will be elected over respected and long standing members.

Yeah, not even Peter Ueberroth who singlehandedly saved and rescued the Olympic movement from sure-extinction, has been invited to serve on the IOC.

London2012, history has shown that the presidents of the Organizing committees, even the most accomplished and magnetic ones--Ueberroth, Michael Knight, Gianna A-D, Mitt Romney--are NOT automatically invited to join the IOC. I think the clubby IOC membership would find them too much of a threat. They would rather have one of their own...and then that person has to work his/he way up the ranks.

Don't disagree with you Baron. Seb's a bit different though being VP of the IAAF. I still think its unlikely he will get it - but more likely than some of the other people you've mentioned.

I think 2013 will determine who succeeds Rogge. If they give 2013 to Capetown, then the IOC would've paid their obligation to Africa. If Capetwon doesn't get 2020, then they'll give the presidency to Nawal who represents Africa AND will also be an olive branch to the Arab states whose bids they will consistently turn down (including a Dubai 2020 bid). Electing Nawal would be like what the College of Cardinals did with Karol Wotijla (Pope John-Paul II); they stuck it to the commies by electing one of their own. And to the conservative Arab states...by elevating a woman to such an exalted and powerful rank.

Or they could do both.

Some rumours include

Mr Ser Miang Ng - Singapore (he is going for VP role in October and current EB board member)

Sir Craig Reedie - Great Britain (he is going for EB role in October)

Mr John Coats - Australia (he is going for EB role in October)

Mr Sam Ramsey - South Africa (current EB member)

Mr Patrick Hickey - Ireland (going for EB role in October)

But the hot favourite is

Ms Gunilla Lindberg - Sweden. As current ANOC Secretary General, she is highly respected by all, and could possibly have massive support to go for the IOC Top Role and first female leader of the IOC.

It would be a tightly competitive race

Mr Ser Miang Ng - Singapore (he is going for VP role in October and current EB board member)

You're joking. That guy is a member of the IOC executive board member, Vice President Singapore National Olympic Council, Singapore's ambassador to Norway and Hungary, Patron of the Singapore Sailing Federation and is in change of Singapore's biggest supermarket chain. I am amazed how he has the time to balance all that, and run for IOC president. :o

i had heard that sergei bubka - was highly ambitious and highly fancied as rogge's successor ?

No Sergei Bubka will be the next IAAF President.... he could not be both IOC and IAAF

Yeah, not even Peter Ueberroth who singlehandedly saved and rescued the Olympic movement from sure-extinction, has been invited to serve on the IOC.

London2012, history has shown that the presidents of the Organizing committees, even the most accomplished and magnetic ones--Ueberroth, Michael Knight, Gianna A-D, Mitt Romney--are NOT automatically invited to join the IOC. I think the clubby IOC membership would find them too much of a threat. They would rather have one of their own...and then that person has to work his/he way up the ranks.

And we could not even have a woman like Anita DeFrantz from the US are president after all Ski jumping would have to get with the rest of the World embracing women in amateur sport.

It is an old boys club that pretends to be tolerant .

Jim Jones

• 4 weeks later...
I was thinking about one of the Aussie members possible Coates???

Gosper tried, I seem to remember, but never had the support. Coates? Maybe down the track, but i don't think he's ready at this stage.

Coles is damaged goods.

Archived