Chicago On The Rise

...but "let friendship shine" sounds kind of flakey. I think it would be more suiting for a YOG, but I don't think the other three bids have much originality either.

"Hola Everyone" - Madrid

"United Our Worlds" - Tokyo

"Passion Lives Here" - Rio

Stir the Soul sounds more like something a Chicagoan would say, and I think it is a shame that they had to change their original logo too.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks ChiTown and Athensfan for the excellent points. Chicago has by no means run a perfect campaign, but I admit that they have done a heck of a good job for this being the city's first bid since 1949 when Buenos Aires lost by 1 vote to Melbourne in the 1956 race.

I liked the original logo too and "Stir the Soul" was definitely a little fresher and more euphonious.

However, I still believe the revisions are improvements when it comes to relating to the IOC. The IOC doesn't need to hear a slick slogan and see a polished logo design. They need to see an American bid that is willing to work with them -- willing to embrace the international community with sensitivity and humility.

If we set aside the aesthetic merits of the slogan and logo for a moment, I think it's clear that the revisions send a much better message to the IOC. We will change our logo to suit the rules. We will change our slogan because we really want to connect with the rest of the world. These messages are far more important for an American bid than having a slick, polished image. That's why I consider the changes a step up and definitely the right choice.

Thanks ChiTown and Athensfan for the excellent points. Chicago has by no means run a perfect campaign, but I admit that they have done a heck of a good job for this being the city's first bid since 1949 when Buenos Aires lost by 1 vote to Melbourne in the 1956 race.

Thanks for the props!

By the way, just to clarify--the original points were intended to compare Chicago 2016 to the New York 2012 not to any other 2016 bid city.

CHItown '16

Thanks for the props!

By the way, just to clarify--the original points were intended to compare Chicago 2016 to the New York 2012 not to any other 2016 bid city.

CHItown '16

Although I do disagree with some of your descriptions of NYC's bid, these are great pro-Chicago points you are making. It’s these aspects of Chicago’s bid that many, many times draw in my desires to see 2016 in Rio in favor of seeing such a quality American bid win in Chicago when the time is ripe for just that to happen.

I can see how the new slogan could bode better with their message to the IOC. I just liked "Stir the Soul" better because it seemed a little more "Chicago" with its roots in soul music, and how the city has such a large African American population.

Recently, a Chicagoan interviewed celebrities who support Chicago's bid, and John Legend started laughing a little bit when he said "let friendship shine"

Anyway, it is not that bid of a deal, and it will be revised if Chicago wins.

Hey, guys! I agree it's not a great deal. And more than that, you will always have Baron, the IOC Board Chairman, with you. Certainly he will be very useful with his experience, and feeling to advice you - IF Chicago wins - in putting things togehter.

The problem is, I think he is moving to Rio. I've read about tickets, hotels...Have you read about this?

If you meet Baron, please, tell him some guys are waiting him to tell them his addres so that they can send him tickets and other things.

Hey, guys! I agree it's not a great deal. And more than that, you will always have Baron, the IOC Board Chairman, with you. Certainly he will be very useful with his experience, and feeling to advice you - IF Chicago wins - in putting things togehter.

The problem is, I think he is moving to Rio. I've read about tickets, hotels...Have you read about this?

If you meet Baron, please, tell him some guys are waiting him to tell them his addres so that they can send him tickets and other things.

Just send them to me and I'll pass them on ......

;)

• 2 weeks later...

I like the way Chicago 2016 and the USOC have responded to the Evaluation Report. The emphasis of their response is on working with the IOC and embracing constructive criticism to make the bid better. I have not come across anything that sounded like denial of the criticisms or even questioning the justification of some of the comments (though in my mind, such questions would be valid, if not diplomatically helpful). The strong, clear message to the IOC is this: "We really want to hear what you have to say. We want to incorporate and build on your ideas to make Chicago as strong as it can be. We want to join you developing a mutual vision for advancing the Olympic Movement." In my opinion, this approach is right on target. It is gracious, open and receptive. There is a strong can-do attitude and a desire to work together.

^^^

I agree. It seems like the other bids have done a decent job responding to the report as well. Madrid acknowledged that they need to do a better job "communicating." Rio response seems to be laced in elation, but I have not heard them respond to the criticisms, not that there were many...

The city council's unanimous vote authorizing Daley to sign the Host City contract is excellent news. This is exactly the kind of compromise that the IOC needs to see from a U.S. bid. The solidarity of the vote is also extremely encouraging.

To parse potential additional possible meaning from the EC report:

* "Ambitious but achievable" => Chicago 2016 thinks that we've left a lot of money on the table during the past few Olympics. We've concluded that they are probably right.

* No major concerns => Not in the public report. We'll send an addendum through private mail to answer the questions you've been asking. In the mean time, we'll see how reliable and trustworthy they'll prove themselves to be over the next 30 days.

CHItown '16

To parse potential additional possible meaning from the EC report:

* "Ambitious but achievable" => Chicago 2016 thinks that we've left a lot of money on the table during the past few Olympics. We've concluded that they are probably right.

* No major concerns => Not in the public report. We'll send an addendum through private mail to answer the questions you've been asking. In the mean time, we'll see how reliable and trustworthy they'll prove themselves to be over the next 30 days.

CHItown '16

=> If we're not receiving straight answers now (we know everything isn't perfect and some issues with their plan will require considerable effort to address but their defensiveness while answering questions has increased by a magnitude since the last presentations; we expect their defensiveness to continue to increase if this report establishes them as front-runner), will we receive reliably accurate answers during the next 7 years? Will we need to dispatch a standing evaluation team to assure that we can accurately gauge progress? Could some of these projects be completed, established, and adapted for Games needs in 7 years?

CHItown '16

Some advice. Prob too late.

Should have created a Chicago ODA responsible for venue delivery, comprised of project managers, architects, engineers etc. who deliver the Games with funding from private and public sources. Even if the majority are funds are privately raised.

This "removes" the venue delivery burden from CHICOG and makes the IOC happy.

Should have created a Chicago ODA responsible for venue delivery, comprised of project managers, architects, engineers etc. who deliver the Games with funding from private and public sources. Even if the majority are funds are privately raised.

In practice, I suspect this is exactly what will happen. Chicago's organizing committee will have a subdivision that will focus on "ODA-type" responsibilities. I really think its just a matter of nomenclature. I do not think it is a major concern (obviously those who wrote the Evaluation Report may not agree with me).

It is a very real concern. You don't want an organizing committee reponsible for delivering

1. the main olympic stadium

2. main aquatic centre for all aquatic events

and venues for hockey, tennis, cycling etc.

while temporary they remain large projects.

In order to reach the refinement of the bid book renderings, the bid committee likely needed complete site designs, bid documents for the new venues, and stacks of existing drawings. And project management, architects, and engineers are very easy to find in the Chicago (in some areas of the city, there are multiple engineering, construction management, and architecture offices within a 500m radius). I don't think it'd be a problem to quickly identify qualified personnel to plan, build, and deliver the new venues very quickly and efficiently.

CHItown '16

Rogge has publicly announced that the IOC are fully satisfied with Chicago's guarantees. The financial issue was, without question, Chicago's biggest weakness and now it is not an issue at all. Furthermore, Rogge added that various sources of tension between the IOC and the USOC have been resolved -- most notably the concerns regarding an Olympic network.

Add to this the possibility that Obama may be planning a surprise appearance and there is no question that Chicago is building STRONG MOMENTUM.

Archived