Chicago On The Rise

Thought I'd start a new thread to talk about all the things Chicago is doing right -- the ways they've learned from previous mistakes and are showing real respect and sensitivity to the Olympic Movement and the international community.

By halting their plans to go forward with the Olympic network, the USOC showed their willingness to acknowledge a lack of forethought and make the necessary correction. They deferred to the IOC's position and agreed to a more thorough analysis of the project, expressing a clear desire to work with, rather than against, the IOC.

I was deeply grieved by the USOC's initial announcement of the launch of the Olympic network and the justifiable IOC response that it provoked. This willingness to change course suggests a much more humble, adaptable USOC. As Americans, we may make mistakes, but I hope we will have the grace and courage to acknowledge them and do all in our power to rectify the errors. I am so encouraged by the USOC's recent actions.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
By halting their plans to go forward with the Olympic network, the USOC showed their willingness to acknowledge a lack of forethought and make the necessary correction. They deferred to the IOC's position and agreed to a more thorough analysis of the project, expressing a clear desire to work with, rather than against, the IOC.

I have to say, that has very strong echoes of London's campaign when they indrocued the incentives packages (or whatever you want to call them) but withdrew them when it was clear the IOC were unhappy. A bad move, followed by a swift correction. London got back in their box and decided it was in their best interests to defer to the IOC's greater wisdom. Chicago is doing the same. Good for them.

London's campaign to stage the 2012 Olympic Games suffered an embarrassing blow yesterday when Lord Coe and his team were forced to withdraw a package of financial incentives just days after announcing them at a gathering of sports leaders in Berlin...

In what had been trumpeted as a public relations coup and a possible vote-winner, London unveiled three charters last week that amounted to £15-million worth of incentives to athletes and sports bodies if they were awarded the Games.

However, the move backfired when the president of the International Olympic Committee, Jacques Rogge, warned against a "bidding war" between the five rival candidate cities and placed London and New York, who had also announced an offer of marketing assistance to sports federations, under investigation for possible rule violations....

A London statement said: "The IOC President has made clear that all candidate cities need to avoid a bidding war in the race to host the Olympic and Paralympic Games in 2012.

"In light of President Rogge's remarks and the importance of London 2012's commitment to working in close co-operation with the IOC, we feel it is in the best interests of the Olympic movement to withdraw the charters."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/otherspor...ffers-blow.html

I also think Chicago is doing much more right than it is doing wrong. The bid is strong, the support is good, the White House seems to be properly behind this bid and Chicago seems to be more abuzz than New York was about the prospect of a Games coming to town. Rio seems to be the bid with the most momentum, but it's easy to forget why Chicago has been, for such a long time, the favourite for 2016, and not much in that regard has changed.

Because it released the snazziest video so far...which also shows HOW MUCH more they have to go to make those projected images come true.

I think the reported reactions to their presentations thus far have been revealing. Didn't Rio get a huge amount of applause when the four cities had a chance to present one after the other?

Yes, all reports that I heard coming out of Lausanne were that Rio did a marvelous job. Heck, they even showed a world map of all host cities, and guess what? South America didn't have a single host! The IOC members must have been sitting there with amazement saying... "What, South America never hosted? Africa too is barren!"

Sarcasm aside, Rio has done a great job in all of their presentations thus far, and I expect them to put on a good one in October. Reports also stated that Chicago did pretty good in their presentation as well, but they were questioned the most.

These are some things Chicago has going for it... and it must be reinforced with a willingness to do what is necessary to make these the most successful Games out of the four candidates, and increase the Olympic movement around the world.

1. Most government support ever for an American bid. Obama even set up a White House Office of Olympic, Paralympic and Youth Sport. The mayor here in Chicago has been in office for 20 years, and he knows how to get things done. The city council is usually kept in line by him, and does not get caught up in bureaucracy. Some see this as a bad thing, but I think it is good as long as we have transparency.

2. Business backing and support. Chicago is a very business-centric town, and the bid has had no problems getting support, and businesses even funded World Sport Chicago to be one of the premiere youth sport programs in the country. The Midwest region of the U.S. has 60 million people, and it no doubt would be good sponsorship ground, as well as being home to a plethora of major corporations. See the listings here - it may surprise you. NBC also has a pretty strong presence here. The network even has their own building.

3. Compact plan, beautiful venue locations. Chicago's plan is very compact, and most athletes will feel very comfortable with their short travel times, and accommodations so close to the heart of the city and all the action. The skyline and massive lake would also provide a beautiful backdrop for the Games, arguably one of the best sites ever for an American host.

4. Minimal new permanent construction. Chicago has many existing venues - Basketball, Boxing, Football, Volleyball, Badminton, Fencing, Handball, Judo, Gymnastics, Table Tennis, Taekwondo, Weightlifting, Wrestling, Equestrian, Shooting and Modern Pentathlon all will be hosted in existing venues needing only some staging. White elephants are not going to be a problem with a Chicago Games. The proposed IBC and Press Center already is quite capable of hosting, and the city/metro has more than enough hotel rooms.

5. Multicultural Community that is enthusiastic about sport. Chicago is the most ethnically diverse bid city, and people here would not just be supporting the U.S. teams, but their native countries as well. Filling the venues will not be a problem. Chicago professional sports teams have consistently ranked in the top tier in attendance by capacity for quite a while (even having the highest attendance for NHL hockey!).

I have to say, that has very strong echoes of London's campaign when they indrocued the incentives packages (or whatever you want to call them) but withdrew them when it was clear the IOC were unhappy. A bad move, followed by a swift correction. London got back in their box and decided it was in their best interests to defer to the IOC's greater wisdom. Chicago is doing the same. Good for them.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/otherspor...ffers-blow.html

I also think Chicago is doing much more right than it is doing wrong. The bid is strong, the support is good, the White House seems to be properly behind this bid and Chicago seems to be more abuzz than New York was about the prospect of a Games coming to town. Rio seems to be the bid with the most momentum, but it's easy to forget why Chicago has been, for such a long time, the favourite for 2016, and not much in that regard has changed.

Rob I don't know in regards to parallels between London 2012's campaign and Chicago 2016's . London 2012 did not have the BOC step so firmly on the toes of the IOC's largest funding source US TV rights . Even if the BOc pulled the same type of Idea in the Uk the effect would be minimal on the IOC as the UK right now is only a small peice of the TV pie of the EBU and the EBu is less then half the amount the Us rights takes in for the IOc.

The punishment for Chicago 2016 could probably also be a reward of sorts for NBC or who ever bids the highest for Us Tv rights for 2014 /2016. Rio 2016 could not have had more of a gift fall into their arms . I would not doubt that this could have Rio with a base beyond sentiment of the games not going to South America ever. Jezz Moscow for the 1976 games knocked out Los Angeles in the first round only have Montreal win in the second round. MOSCOW in 1970's Communist lead by Unibrow Leonid Brezhnev . Moscow with lines for loafs of bread Beat Los Angeles Twice.

Europeans greatly forgive quickly fellow Europeans . Europeans with Americans in two months after the USOC threatened the golden goose in Lausinne ?

IF Chicago was up against just Tokyo and Madrid the effect would be biting of the tongue and perhaps rewarding NBc for holding their head underwater for Sydney, Athens , Torino and perhaps London and Sochi . 2016 The IOc can deliver a good situation to make up for those losses even with Chicago or Rio. It either has to be Chicago or Rio that pulls the last part of the 2014-2016 rights offering to increase the US rights as the IOC desires. Tha could be Chicago but not entirely with RIO's one hour time different for the east coast of the US.

Jim jones

Thought I'd start a new thread to talk about all the things Chicago is doing right -- the ways they've learned from previous mistakes and are showing real respect and sensitivity to the Olympic Movement and the international community.

I was deeply grieved by the USOC's initial announcement of the launch of the Olympic network and the justifiable IOC response that it provoked. This willingness to change course suggests a much more humble, adaptable USOC. As Americans, we may make mistakes, but I hope we will have the grace and courage to acknowledge them and do all in our power to rectify the errors. I am so encouraged by the USOC's recent actions.

"humble", "respect", "sensitivity", "adaptable", "grace", "courage".....

This message looks very much like a hidden groveling apology by Chicago in the hope a member (or members) of the ioc is/are reading the forum!

:lol:

I have to say, that has very strong echoes of London's campaign when they indrocued the incentives packages (or whatever you want to call them) but withdrew them when it was clear the IOC were unhappy. A bad move, followed by a swift correction. London got back in their box and decided it was in their best interests to defer to the IOC's greater wisdom.

...only to reinstate the package 3 years later knowing it was too late for the ioc to do anything about it!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/olympics/l...012/7274547.stm

Coe showing two fingers at the ioc?

...only to reinstate the package 3 years later knowing it was too late for the ioc to do anything about it!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/olympics/l...012/7274547.stm

Coe showing two fingers at the ioc?

No, not at all. The problem wasn't the packages themselves but the timing and the potential to cause a bidding war. That's not an issue once a city has won.

No, not at all. The problem wasn't the packages themselves but the timing and the potential to cause a bidding war. That's not an issue once a city has won.

Sounds very much like Blairite spin to me.....

("WMDs / 45 minutes" ring any bells?)

Any bid is going to have its detractors, but I absolutely think it is fair to point out the significant strengths to Chicago's bid and the way the proposal is coming together in the home stretch. Unlike some of the other bids, Chicago has remained strong and steady throughout the bid process. There have not been excessively-emotional highs or catastrophic lows. The USOC is showing a meaningful change of attitude and character. Whether or not Chicago ultimately wins the 2016 Games, as an American I find these developments very encouraging. Chicago's bid may only be a small step towards repairing the United States' relationship with the international community, but it is an important step. Personally, I do believe that Chicago is making many very good decisions. Their bid holds unique promise for the Olympic movement.

It is absolutely vital that the Olympics visit new frontiers, but I am not convinced that 2016 is the best time for Rio. There are issues with the distance of the venues, the quality of the PanAm Games, the fact that the opening ceremony will not be held in the athletics stadium, questions about crime, the attitude of Brazilian spectators, and cost. Year after year we hear about how the IOC wants to avoid ultra-expensive Games and yet the IOC consistently chooses the mostly costly bid. Finally, Rio barely squeezed onto the short list. Have they demonstrated the strength and quality necessary to host over the other candidates? Unquestionably Rio's bid packs an emotional punch, but are we certain they have the substance to back it up?

Chicago is not focused on simply catering to American interests -- they are working hard to develop a concept for the Games that will truly embrace the world and honor diversity. This is exactly the way an American bid should be presented and I am hopeful.

It is absolutely vital that the Olympics visit new frontiers, but I am not convinced that 2016 is the best time for Rio. There are issues with the distance of the venues, the quality of the PanAm Games, the fact that the opening ceremony will not be held in the athletics stadium, questions about crime, the attitude of Brazilian spectators, and cost. Year after year we hear about how the IOC wants to avoid ultra-expensive Games and yet the IOC consistently chooses the mostly costly bid. Finally, Rio barely squeezed onto the short list. Have they demonstrated the strength and quality necessary to host over the other candidates? Unquestionably Rio's bid packs an emotional punch, but are we certain they have the substance to back it up?

Chicago is not focused on simply catering to American interests -- they are working hard to develop a concept for the Games that will truly embrace the world and honor diversity. This is exactly the way an American bid should be presented and I am hopeful.

With the due respect, you should learn a little more about the last Pan Am Games. Rio´s changed their status, their level, their standard. They were successful. Of course there were mistakes and things to be improve. But, come on. About the Brazilian spectartors, what went wrong? Too passionate? Too human beings? Rio must fight violence and crime. But the city proved several times that domestic affairs don't get mixed to international events. About the money: do you really believe Chicago, Madrid and Tokyo will have no problems with their costs? I think Rio's being more realistic at this point.

Hosnetly, do you really think Chicago has remained strong and steady? This is not what seems.

With the due respect, you should learn a little more about the last Pan Am Games. Rio´s changed their status, their level, their standard. They were successful. Of course there were mistakes and things to be improve. But, come on. About the Brazilian spectartors, what went wrong? Too passionate? Too human beings? Rio must fight violence and crime. But the city proved several times that domestic affairs don't get mixed to international events. About the money: do you really believe Chicago, Madrid and Tokyo will have no problems with their costs? I think Rio's being more realistic at this point.

Hosnetly, do you really think Chicago has remained strong and steady? This is not what seems.

Oh please! PanAM Games, Schaman Games. Chicago already hosted the 3rd PanAm Games in 1959...and here is Rio just hosting it some 60 years later. Been there; done that. Rio's Clusters are FAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRR APART. The Athletes and press wil NOT BE ABLE to get to their venues on time.

Oh please! PanAM Games, Schaman Games. Chicago already hosted the 3rd PanAm Games in 1959...and here is Rio just hosting it some 60 years later. Been there; done that. Rio's Clusters are FAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRR APART. The Athletes and press wil NOT BE ABLE to get to their venues on time.

Why don´t talk about PAN AM Games here? Because if we do it boosts Rio's bid? PAG are not the same thing they were before Rio. And I'm not talking about 1959. Even with mistakes, wrong decisions and all things that have to be improved - as it is usual after any event - the success of Rio's PAG editon is a matter of fact and, no doubt, the reason Rio made the short list. This opinion of yours is what is FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRR away from the reality.

I am disheartened by the recent report that Chicago is struggling and Rio is surging ahead, however, I have to question the degree of trust that should be placed in a single anonymous source. All we know is the opinion of one individual who to will not attach his or her name to the statement. Even so, the remarks are a cause for concern. I hope the USOC will use the coming weeks to thoroughly investigate and mend any broken relationships to whatever extent this is possible.

Raphael, with all due respect, your high view of the PanAm Games is not unanimous. There are well-publicized dissenting opinions. I personally was not there, but based on several reports, it does sound as though the organization could be improved upon. Perhaps Rio will have the opportunity to do just that... We will see.

I am disheartened by the recent report that Chicago is struggling and Rio is surging ahead, however, I have to question the degree of trust that should be placed in a single anonymous source. All we know is the opinion of one individual who to will not attach his or her name to the statement. Even so, the remarks are a cause for concern. I hope the USOC will use the coming weeks to thoroughly investigate and mend any broken relationships to whatever extent this is possible.

I agree. All these so-called "gauges of support" are all mere early speculation of ONE source...5 weeks before the vote; about 10 days before the Evaluation report. WHO really knows how the currents swirl underneath? No one but the voters themselves. The only thing certain that everyone knows at this point is that the IOC members from the running countries CANNOT vote until their city is eliminated.

Brazil hosted also in 1963 in the ugly Sao Paulo city, the Brazilian version of Chicago...

What's the point?

(First post outside general and Rio threads... Why did I came here?)

Brazil hosted also in 1963 in the ugly Sao Paulo city, the Brazilian version of Chicago...

What's the point?

(First post outside general and Rio threads... Why did I came here?)

Careful, Danny. Please don't insult cities you haven't seen. I know Chicago and it absolutely is NOT ugly. Frankly, it's one of the cleanest, most beautiful cities in the U.S. The international community has not yet discovered how stunningly beautiful Chicago is. That's why I'm hoping Chicago has an opportunity to host the Games. The lake, the parks, the art, theater, architecture -- trust me, if you ever visit, you will love this city.

I acknowledge that Baron's post was a bit provocative, but surely you must realize that is just his style (or lack thereof). Just let it go. The truth is that the PanAm's got mixed reviews. Some very positive, some definitely less so. I wasn't there. I don't know. Regardless, the truth is that Rio will need much more than the 2007 PanAm's to convince the IOC that they are the best choice for 2016.

It's fine to be passionate on Rio's behalf, but please don't insult the other candidates. This thread is supposed to emphasize Chicago's strengths.

Careful, Danny. Please don't insult cities you haven't seen. I know Chicago and it absolutely is NOT ugly. Frankly, it's one of the cleanest, most beautiful cities in the U.S. The international community has not yet discovered how stunningly beautiful Chicago is. That's why I'm hoping Chicago has an opportunity to host the Games. The lake, the parks, the art, theater, architecture -- trust me, if you ever visit, you will love this city.

I acknowledge that Baron's post was a bit provocative, but surely you must realize that is just his style (or lack thereof). Just let it go. The truth is that the PanAm's got mixed reviews. Some very positive, some definitely less so. I wasn't there. I don't know. Regardless, the truth is that Rio will need much more than the 2007 PanAm's to convince the IOC that they are the best choice for 2016.

Excuse me? You tell Danny not to 'insult' the other cities, yet here you go critiquing me. Kinda hypocritical, doncha think? Do as I say, not as I do??

I got more style than 5 of you combined!! Go take a flying fvck!! :P:P

Excuse me? You tell Danny not to 'insult' the other cities, yet here you go critiquing me. Kinda hypocritical, doncha think? Do as I say, not as I do??

I got more style than 5 of you combined!! Go take a flying fvck!! :P:P

ok, baron. Whatever. you're proving my point for me...

Sometimes you're witty and funny. Sometimes you're inflammatory and crass... Not hypocritical, just the truth.

ChiTown16 has made some excellent points about the ways Chicago has learned from past mistakes and is trying to reach out to the international community with a more sensitive, carefully constructed bid:

* Different leadership at the Presidential level (!!!!)

* Engaging citizens at a very early date--by recruiting volunteers starting in late 2006 vs. very little involvement outside of city government and the bid committee

* Focusing on using temporary venues in existing parks vs. large, expensive venues in green/brownfields requiring significant financing and public risk

* Compact clusters connected by existing transit vs. venues on separate islands linked by congested waterways and already highly congested bridges and tunnels

* Providing information and listening to opposition and finding ways of accommodating citizens' concerns vs. concentrating the bid efforts within the bid committee / city government

* Developing a large standing committee, legacy sports program, involvement by professional services, and a large presentation corps to attend the different events domestically as well as internationally vs. keeping the committee small and the discussion limited

* Seeking to work effectively with the USOC (sometimes with less coordination than at others but there's an effort) vs. having an openly contention and dismissive relationship with the NOC

* Refusing to engage with other bids in (unsuccessful) vote counting and negative campaigning.

I would like to add that even the slogan "Let Friendship Shine" is a welcome theme for a U.S. bid. I think it is a blessing that "Stir the Soul" got lost in translation -- "Let Friendship Shine" is a major improvement. The sense of outreach and international goodwill is a vital ingredient. Chicago made an excellent adjustment.

Archived