Chicago On The Rise

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Stunning picture that includes mccormick place, solider field, part of the museum campus, and also the site of the olympic village.

3391466520_55c46bbf4e_o.jpg

McCormick Place - IBC/Press Center, +about 14 indoor sport venues

Soldier Field - Football Finals

Also at the front of the frame is Grant Park and part of the Archery venue. Just beyond the left side of the frame is Northerly Island or Olympic Island (also location of the 1933 World's Fair) where Beach Volleyball, Slalom Kayaking and Rafting, and Sailing are planned. And alongside Grant Park is the Rowing Venue, the marathon start, and live sites (Millenium Park medals stand?)

And just past the upper left corner of the frame is Washington Park (would be about the same distance from southern edge of the Olympic Village as the distance to the southern edge of Grant Park), the location of the Stadium/Athletics and Aquatics venues. Jackson Park (site of the 1893 World's Fair) is directly east of Washington Park along Lake Michigan - follow the multi lane motorway to the upper left and that would end at Jackson Park)

So, this also provides a very good perspective of what is meant by the compact venue plan.

CHItown '16

Thats a cool photo!!!

Yes it is, I think and hope that they use pictures similar to this in the final presentation on Friday! Just a few days to go now!

I have a question that I would like to ask, but did not want to make a separate thread for it out of consideration to the forum so that I'm not taking up forum space so I thought I'd ask it here.

I decided that if Chicago should win the Olympics on Friday, that I want to volunteer and help out. I fully back and support Chicago's bid! I want to be a part of it and help out however I can. I have a lot of time that I can give right now too. I figure this will be a good experience for me as well as a way to make some new friends.

I have already sent an e-mail to Chicago 2016 asking this and am waiting for a reply back but I'll ask it here too. Should Chicago win its bid, can I still apply to be a volunteer at that point? I sure hope so! If I can and they win I will fill out an application right away on Friday :)

Good for you, bh. I'm sure you'll have no trouble signing up.

Very glad to see the Secretary of Transportation is going. I was shocked by the EC's analysis of Chicago transportation. It doesn't jibe with my personal experience at all. Hopefully the secretary's presence will help. Very interesting that both the secretaries of education and transportation are going. This is not your usual delegation.

Good for you, bh. I'm sure you'll have no trouble signing up.

Very glad to see the Secretary of Transportation is going. I was shocked by the EC's analysis of Chicago transportation. It doesn't jibe with my personal experience at all. Hopefully the secretary's presence will help. Very interesting that both the secretaries of education and transportation are going. This is not your usual delegation.

Part of the reasoning, I would guess, is that both are from Illinois and know the Chicago area very well. The Secretary of Education actually used to head Chicago Public Schools. I think the reasoning is - Sec of Transportation speaks to what the federal government is able to do to address the transportation concerns; Sec of Education talks about how sports impact education in Chicago and how the legacy efforts of Chicago 2016 would improve educational outcomes.

Also, bh - if you want to sign up as a volunteer, there's been a volunteer page almost since the bid committee started:

http://www.chicago2016.org/volunteer.aspx

I don't know about current events but there's usually some openings every week.

CHItown '16

Based on reports of the dinner this evening, it sounds like the Chicago bid is generating a great deal of enthusiasm. I'm so glad Oprah and Michelle are there and that Pat Ryan received such an energetic welcome.

Pat Ryan seems like a really good guy :) I like him. Great show at that dinner tonight! Yeah, I'd definitely say going into this vote Chicago has the momentum especially after the whole Rio/Madrid complaint fiasco going on. All that remains now is for Chicago to give it's final presentation :) There was a very small sneak peek at their rehearsal for the presentation last night on the Channel 2 news, looks really good and promising :D I'm very hopeful..Chicago should get it, it will still be tight but with Rio and Madrid fighting there may be just a bit more breathing room in terms of by how much Chicago will win. But I'm excited and will definitely stay up for the presentation on TV and will watch the final vote on TV :)

Why didn't they include Catherine Zeta-Jones in the group? I am sure she could've delivered 4 or 5 votes alone.

Because Renee Zelwegger said if Catherine went, she'd have to go as well - and the USOC figured that she would cost more votes than were gained.

Brazil hosted also in 1963 in the ugly Sao Paulo city, the Brazilian version of Chicago...

What's the point?

(First post outside general and Rio threads... Why did I came here?)

Oh, that was a tad bitchy Danny. Saying Sao paulo is ugly and then comparing it to Chicago. Meow, you've brought your claws out with you from your retirement! :lol:

My wife hates the Trump Tower, we live 5 minutes away, hehehe. Some more pics:

http://img9.imageshack.us/slideshow/webpla...066a3ecb1fb.jpg

The United Center one, was before the Bulls vs Celtics with 3 OTs!

GREAT pictures!

When Trump went up the glass curtain wall just looked a little wavy, I wish something else would have taken that site.

chicago_bulls-300x300.gif

Archived