Chicago On The Rise

Rogge has publicly announced that the IOC are fully satisfied with Chicago's guarantees. The financial issue was, without question, Chicago's biggest weakness and now it is not an issue at all. Furthermore, Rogge added that various sources of tension between the IOC and the USOC have been resolved -- most notably the concerns regarding an Olympic network.

Add to this the possibility that Obama may be planning a surprise appearance and there is no question that Chicago is building STRONG MOMENTUM.

I agree with you. For the past few weeks the momentum has indeed been behind Chicago. Even the "will-he-or-won't-he" speculation about Obama seems, rather than a negative, to be keeping Chicago bid at the chief spotlight.

I also wish I could find the quote now, I kick myself now I didn't post it at the time, but (believe me), I did read a wire story just the other day quoting an "un-named" IOC member who was speculating that Rio had had the early wind, but since the Eval Report, the wind seems to have died.

Two weeks ago I would have put money on it (and did) that Rio was a lay-down lock - now the race is definitely tightening.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah, here's that quote:

"Obama's support has always been there and is hardly shocking. Also without the signing of the 'Host City Agreement' they might as well not have shown up in Copenhagen," another source close to the IOC told AFP.

Rio, who are seen as the main rivals to Chicago with Tokyo and Madrid struggling to make inroads although the first round vote could change all that, have been making the running but all of a sudden the wind may have gone out of their sails and the notion that taking the Games to new territory may not play so hard with their eclectic electorate.

I agree with you. For the past few weeks the momentum has indeed been behind Chicago. Even the "will-he-or-won't-he" speculation about Obama seems, rather than a negative, to be keeping Chicago bid at the chief spotlight.

I also wish I could find the quote now, I kick myself now I didn't post it at the time, but (believe me), I did read a wire story just the other day quoting an "un-named" IOC member who was speculating that Rio had had the early wind, but since the Eval Report, the wind seems to have died.

Two weeks ago I would have put money on it (and did) that Rio was a lay-down lock - now the race is definitely tightening.

I think roltel with a race very close no one is going to sustain a lead for very long . I am sure it will come down to the actions on the ground in Denmark or these last minute moves in the press may indeed mean little if most of the IOc members have their minds made up. It will be the reaction of what the first vote reveals. If Rio is out in Front on the first Ballot then I think is it difficult for Chicago.

If rio is only slightly behind then I think you will see Madrid voters lining up behind Rio and possibly overtake Chicago.

Now the talk is of Obama's advance people scoping out the president making an appearance. If Chicago is that dependent on the President showing up considering what a games would mean for increased revenues for the IOC post ever american Staged games then the inside info Ryan and Company may be that Chicago is behind further then we think. Suddenly there is a flury of White House Activity on this and it does not look like it was planned but rather improvised at the last minute.

I am supporting Rio of Course but I cannot believe they would get the Front runner Status considering the opponent of Chicago . Rio from what I see has gotten that status more from the USOC 's faux paus then anything . no Candidate from the US for the summer games has gotten pass the early rounds unless they go on to win like Atlanta did . Atlanta really won by default opposing places that had badly timed bids . Canada was not going to repeat the summer games 20 years after Montreal . Europe was not going to stage back to back 1992 and 1996. This would not do anything but have NBC pour money down a drain for 1996 and Melbourne was the same thing for the timezones. Instead Atlanta pushed the TV rights up post 1996 to the delite of the IOc of course.

2016 Rio is not in Toronto 1996 shoes or Athens 96 , Belgrade 96 , Manchester 96 or Melbourne 96. Rio would be just as profitable for NBC or the US Tv Rights holder as Chicago would be because of live coverage in Prime time for the Eastern Seaboard.

Jim jones

I think roltel with a race very close no one is going to sustain a lead for very long . I am sure it will come down to the actions on the ground in Denmark or these last minute moves in the press may indeed mean little if most of the IOc members have their minds made up. It will be the reaction of what the first vote reveals. If Rio is out in Front on the first Ballot then I think is it difficult for Chicago.

If rio is only slightly behind then I think you will see Madrid voters lining up behind Rio and possibly overtake Chicago.

Now the talk is of Obama's advance people scoping out the president making an appearance. If Chicago is that dependent on the President showing up considering what a games would mean for increased revenues for the IOC post ever american Staged games then the inside info Ryan and Company may be that Chicago is behind further then we think. Suddenly there is a flury of White House Activity on this and it does not look like it was planned but rather improvised at the last minute.

I am supporting Rio of Course but I cannot believe they would get the Front runner Status considering the opponent of Chicago . Rio from what I see has gotten that status more from the USOC 's faux paus then anything . no Candidate from the US for the summer games has gotten pass the early rounds unless they go on to win like Atlanta did . Atlanta really won by default opposing places that had badly timed bids . Canada was not going to repeat the summer games 20 years after Montreal . Europe was not going to stage back to back 1992 and 1996. This would not do anything but have NBC pour money down a drain for 1996 and Melbourne was the same thing for the timezones. Instead Atlanta pushed the TV rights up post 1996 to the delite of the IOc of course.

2016 Rio is not in Toronto 1996 shoes or Athens 96 , Belgrade 96 , Manchester 96 or Melbourne 96. Rio would be just as profitable for NBC or the US Tv Rights holder as Chicago would be because of live coverage in Prime time for the Eastern Seaboard.

Jim jones

/\ jj, u r really the only one making a big deal about that 'faux pas' which -- hello? harmed NO ONE in particular...and your odds thing are a little tiring. Maybe it's time you thought outside the box a little. The dynamics for this race are a little different.

JJ, I disagree with you. I think what you call "a flurry of last-minute activity" was probably carefully orchestrated. From the beginning the USOC was VERY serious about this bid. They have weighed their options carefully and copiously studied the success and failure of previous bids. They are absolutely trying to emulate the strong p.r. and careful timing of London's bid. The speculation about "will he or won't he" is generating a great deal of buzz around the bid. It is wise strategy and shows just how committed the U.S. is to Chicago 2016. This is not a casual, throwaway bid for the Americans. There is ENORMOUS investment of heart, energy and hard work behind it. Chicago 2016 and the USOC know they have to work for this and they are willing to do whatever it takes.

This is a White House that realizes the end result is more important than what is seen before the last vote. And that knows how to use media effectively. And that rarely hasn't already considered moves and responses weeks if not months ahead. It's what we've come to call multi-dimensional chess - it's clear how a result happened in hindsight but it isn't at all clear how they're getting there at the moment.

ObamaRedW.jpg

CHItown '16

I also think that they've sorted of gotten a handle on the Health Care thing--it's either going to stall or mvoe quickly REGARDLESS of the President taking a 3-day break or what? And he's probably gotten assurances from the Demo leaders in the Congress that they can keep it together until he gets back. So might as well go to Copenhagen for those 3 days.

It's like they just have to see where things stand but it's certainly on the calendar!! I think that Olympic event at the White House also brought the matter forefront to him -- not only from Olympians but from those paraplegic kids as well.

=> If we're not receiving straight answers now (we know everything isn't perfect and some issues with their plan will require considerable effort to address but their defensiveness while answering questions has increased by a magnitude since the last presentations; we expect their defensiveness to continue to increase if this report establishes them as front-runner), will we receive reliably accurate answers during the next 7 years? Will we need to dispatch a standing evaluation team to assure that we can accurately gauge progress? Could some of these projects be completed, established, and adapted for Games needs in 7 years?

CHItown '16

Interesting:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/artic...pPjLWSKrsmqKDaw

Rio, who are seen as the main rivals to Chicago with Tokyo and Madrid struggling to make inroads although the first round vote could change all that, have been making the running but all of a sudden the wind may have gone out of their sails and the notion that taking the Games to new territory may not play so hard with their eclectic electorate.

"It will be one element that will play a role. A big one or a small one, I cannot say," said Rogge, who does not have a vote, though, he can intimate behind the scenes as to who he would prefer to win.

"The IOC members vote on a series of criteria. Firstly the fundamentals such as do we trust the people in charge of the bid, will the transport be there, how good will the Olympic Village be.

"Secondly why not go into a new territory. That would certainly be one of the aspects that will be considered."

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.p...oryId=112991497

Rio is considered the closest competition to Chicago, and I love that city. Wondrous music, sultry beaches and gorgeous, friendly people.

But anyone who has reported stories in Rio can tell you: time there is regarded casually. If you agree to meet someone at 2, you may not see them until 5, because they had something more interesting to do, and believe me, in Rio, there are lots of interesting things. Ten thousand athletes from around the world could land in Rio, and not be able to find civic officials because they're playing beach volleyball.

"Wow, 2016 already? We've still got stadiums to build. / / Can we try this next year?"

I guess some people are getting ideas reading from what we write here.

CHItown '16

Apparently Valerie Jarrett has been consulting with Tony Blair about the best way to connect with IOC members in the days preceding the vote. Very smart to seek out his advice. You can read more in the article below. It also mentions the contingent of gold medalists that will accompany the Chicago delegation.

http://www.brownsvilleherald.com/sports/ch...al-olympic.html

Apparently Valerie Jarrett has been consulting with Tony Blair about the best way to connect with IOC members in the days preceding the vote. Very smart to seek out his advice. You can read more in the article below. It also mentions the contingent of gold medalists that will accompany the Chicago delegation.

http://www.brownsvilleherald.com/sports/ch...al-olympic.html

Strangely, this is quite a detailed article about the Chicago 2016 Olympic bid - that didn't make it into any Chicago paper that I've seen so far.

CHItown '16

Hundreds Of Supporters To Fly On Airline Chartered By Chicago 2016

Hundreds of Chicago 2016 supporters will be travelling to Copenhagen for the 2016 host city vote on a Boeing 747 plane featuring the Chicago 2016 logo.

Chicago 2016 has teamed up with United Airlines for the charter flight.

Patrick G. Ryan, chairman and CEO of Chicago 2016 said, "with just seven days to go until the final decision, we appreciate everyone's support and are honoured that so many Chicagoans are travelling with us to Copenhagen for the big day. It is the enthusiasm of everyone in Chicago that makes this time in Chicago's history so exciting. We thank United Airlines for being such a valuable partner in our efforts".

On board the airline will be Chicago 2016 supporters, athletes, committee members, media, staff and others. Chicago 2016 sold packages, including travel, accommodations and cultural events, for those wishing to attend to show their support for Chicago's bid.

----

747's are such beautiful planes:

scr1253824945.jpg

Going to have Air Force One and a Chicago 2016 747 in Copenhagen.

Archived