English Football Thread 2009/10

Chelsea have been banned from signing any new players until January 2011.

The punishment was meted out by world governing body Fifa after the club was found guilty of inducing Gael Kakuta to break his contract with Lens in 2007.

A Fifa statement said the Blues would not be able to register new players in the next two transfer windows.

Chelsea insist they will "mount the strongest appeal possible" and say the sanctions are "totally disproportionate to the alleged offence".

A statement from the Premier League club, who will make their appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (Cas), added: "We cannot comment further until we receive the full written rationale for this extraordinarily arbitrary decision."

Fifa's dispute resolution chamber (DRC) ruled French winger Kakuta, now 18, must also pay compensation of 780,000 euros (£682,000), for which Chelsea are "jointly and severally liable".

Lens lodged a complaint with world football's governing body after Chelsea signed the winger two years ago.

Now the DRC has ruled Kakuta breached his contract with Lens and that Chelsea induced him to do so.

Fifa's statement continued: "The French club had lodged a claim with Fifa seeking compensation for breach of contract from the player and requesting also sporting sanctions to be imposed on the player and the English club for breach of contract and inducement to breach of contract.

"The DRC found that the player had indeed breached a contract signed with the French club. Equally, the DRC deemed it to be established that the English club induced the player to such breach."

Chelsea must pay additional "training compensation" of 130,000 euros (£114,000) to Lens, while the player has been banned from playing in official matches for four months.

Kakuta ended 2007/8, his first season with Chelsea, as the youth team's top scorer and was voted the academy's player of the year.

He played five times for the youth team and twice for the reserves in his second season before it was brought to an abrupt end in February when he suffered a double fracture of his ankle.

The Lille-born youngster has never played for Chelsea's first team, although he is back to full fitness and has been featuring in the reserves this season.

Fifa's decision to ban Chelsea means they will not be able to sign players in the January and summer 2010 transfer windows.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...sea/8236187.stm

I don't this penalty will stand in any way on appeal. It strikes me that this is a similar scenario to the Eduardo diving issue - there are plenty of other cases the authorities could have gone for. I just wonder why Real Madrid haven't been similarly pursued for their blatant pursuit of Ronaldo.

While part of me thinks this is the funniest thing I've heard in ages, which, if upheld will make those of us who don't much like Chelsea have a field day at their misfortune, a more rational part of me thinks it's a ridiculously harsh punishment.

We'll have to see how their appeal goes. I'd be surprised if the punishment remains this harsh.

• 2 weeks later...

An absolute disgrace in my view.

As for Adebayor, I would never seek to condone the stamp on van Persie. However, the celebration is a different matter. When, as fans, you give a player stick, then you should expect some back. I don't have a problem with that whatsoever.

• 4 weeks later...

Thought you might ask me about this. She's done a wonderful job with the England women's team, but I would be saying no. The only manager I want for the job is Peter Taylor, a proven performer at that level.

Love to know where the rumour's come from, though.

You can breathe easy Arwebb, you've avoived the mighty Bromley in today's FA Cup 1st round draw. :P

We've got a good home match against Colchester though - reward for beating a truly terrible Ebbsfleet Utd yesterday afternoon. Don't really fancy our chances but the ground should be packed. B)

Got to love the FA Cup!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Archived