Bid Books

Have a couple questions:

1. Is it worth it to collect these items.

2. How much is a reasonable range to pay for something like this

Yes, it is interesting to collect these items as those books are pretty well printed, with nice layout and a some time with an innovative box ! And you will have all the details of the bids. Nowdays, it is easy to get the pdf from the last candidate cities (and to old ones, thanks to the BidLibrary) but it is not the same to watch it on your computer or to have the 3 tomes between your hands !

You could find a bid book from 50 Euros to 150 Euros generally, but not often on sale !!!!

• 2 weeks later...

It also depends on the rarity of the bid book - for instance I scored a Sochi 2014 bid book set for about $40US off eBay recently. NYC2012 sets tend to pop up quite regularly as many more were printed than usual as NYC2012 sent copies to libraries all over the US.

Some I have only seen once and some you can only get thru IOC contacts. I got my Melb 1996 and Sydney 2000 sets thru private collectors - and they were about $300US each. If I was to put Sydney up on eBay I would expect it to go for a lot.

Hmm - a good question. It used to be the Atlanta set - however having had a look at the set at the Sydney Library I dont think its high on my must have list. Barcelona's would be a good one I suppose - the presentation is amazing - wooden box etc. Probably the rarest of the rare from the last few cycles would be the Osaka 2008 set. I wouldn't mind some of the 1992 winter and summer sets.

To be honest my all time favourite bid - Stockholm 2004 - I already have. So I'd rather get some of the applicant files (an original Doha, Baku or Borjomi for instance - something bizarre :)) or some of the mythical things - anything from the Tehran 1984 bid that eventually dropped out or the Tashkent bid for 2000 - stuff from bids that didnt quite make it to the final stage. I had hoped the Sydney Olympic archive might have had something from Tashkent since it did produce a few brochures - but no, nothing.

Archived