Who Will Vote Madrid...

Who will vote Madrid in Denmark???? who u think will vote them in a 90-100%??? ( lets enjoy till the dayyy D ) :)

I think some European Countries and north africans a,d a few asians!

madrid did not lead one round in singapore because 33 ioc members actually wanted the games to go to madrid over cities like NY London Paris

And why would that be so impossible to imagine?

Great technical plan (the only minus compared to London and Paris was accommodation but I don't think the average IOC member pays too much attention to these details), smooth and low key campaign, an NOC President with excellent relationship with the rest of the Olympic Movement, great memories of the Barcelona Games.... That's more than enough for 33 members to actually decide that Madrid is a worthy host.

And why would that be so impossible to imagine?

Great technical plan (the only minus compared to London and Paris was accommodation but I don't think the average IOC member pays too much attention to these details), smooth and low key campaign, an NOC President with excellent relationship with the rest of the Olympic Movement, great memories of the Barcelona Games.... That's more than enough for 33 members to actually decide that Madrid is a worthy host.

Well... actually it is not impossible to figure it out: I think it will be the safest choice for any of the IOC members that will not feel very confortable with any of the three main favourites. There are reasons for the SOG not to be hosted again in Asia; also there are plenty of people which thinks that Chicago shouldn't be had the option of the USOC. Rio is perceived quite risky by some others... So maybe Madrid could appear an aseptic option for some of them.

By the way, I agree that Europe will not be the main source of votes for Madrid, because I can't see France, Germany or Italy voting for Madrid if they are planning some bid for 2020, 2024. Nevertheless, I think Greece, Cyprus and even other Mediterranean countries will vote for Madrid. Even maybe UK, who can't be careless about what happens after 2012 can send half of its votes to Spain and the other half to Chicago. The African vote will go either to Chicago or Madrid because they don't want Rio as the first new frontier city of this century, as they will lobby strongly for Capetown in 2020.

Latin America votes will not be travelling massively to Rio just because a matter of mere geography. Countries like Panama, Costa Rica are strongly linked with Spain more than with Brazil. Also, Buenos Aires have also fought to be the first South America host and I can't see it supporting a Rio bid. I'm not saying that the whole of the Latin votes will be for Madrid, but they will not vote as a bloke for Rio.

By the way, can someone say me if Puerto Rico can vote for the Chicago bid? I'm not sure.

Well... actually it is not impossible to figure it out: I think it will be the safest choice for any of the IOC members that will not feel very confortable with any of the three main favourites. There are reasons for the SOG not to be hosted again in Asia; also there are plenty of people which thinks that Chicago shouldn't be had the option of the USOC. Rio is perceived quite risky by some others... So maybe Madrid could appear an aseptic option for some of them.

Alright -- Care to expand on this? Is this the "I've never been to Chicago but I heard that it's too dangerous because of Al Capone" block?

CHItown '16

Alright -- Care to expand on this? Is this the "I've never been to Chicago but I heard that it's too dangerous because of Al Capone" block?

CHItown '16

No, no! I really like Chicago. One of my favourite USA cities :) But I think it lacks some kind of international attraction that maybe San Francisco, New York has. I was not talking about the people itself, but some IOC members. I kinda think that Chicago is maybe perceived as Leipzig, Seville bids: "ok, you deserve to host, but please bid with the right city". Just my opinion

No, no! I really like Chicago. One of my favourite USA cities :) But I think it lacks some kind of international attraction that maybe San Francisco, New York has. I was not talking about the people itself, but some IOC members. I kinda think that Chicago is maybe perceived as Leipzig, Seville bids: "ok, you deserve to host, but please bid with the right city". Just my opinion

Actually, you are wrong. The USOC settled on Chicago via a very analytical and scientific method. It commissioned NOT one, BUT TWO polls amongst international sports leaders, consultants and (the exact number is confidential) but around 60+ IOC members on their perceptions of the leading US city candidates for the 2016 round (so minus New York and LA.) Chicago came out on top twice, slightly ahead of San Francisco. So despite the perception that "Chicago" is not as continental as New York or San Francisco, apparently amongst a great number of people and parties who will matter in the October vote, "Chicago" was their pick.

Further, Chicago has the layout and existing infrastructure to present a rather compact Games while San Francisco (and New York) cannot get its major components for a winning bid, together.

And I believe the IOC members asked were those known NOT to be too favorable of the US. (I mean why ask your friends?) Now, whether some of those parties in the two polls purposely skewed their picks to throw off the whole USOC process, then that's another story entirely.

Actually, you are wrong. The USOC settled on Chicago via a very analytical and scientific method. It commissioned NOT one, BUT TWO polls amongst international sports leaders, consultants and (the exact number is confidential) but around 60+ IOC members on their perceptions of the leading US city candidates for the 2016 round (so minus New York and LA.) Chicago came out on top twice, slightly ahead of San Francisco. So despite the perception that "Chicago" is not as continental as New York or San Francisco, apparently amongst a great number of people and parties who will matter in the October vote, "Chicago" was their pick.

Further, Chicago has the layout and existing infrastructure to present a rather compact Games while San Francisco (and New York) cannot get its major components for a winning bid, together.

And I believe the IOC members asked were those known NOT to be too favorable of the US. (I mean why ask your friends?) Now, whether some of those parties in the two polls purposely skewed their picks to throw off the whole USOC process, then that's another story entirely.

Let's not get off topic, as usual. I will start another one in Chicago forum because I think it's quite interesting what you say. See you there :)

Who will vote Madrid in Denmark???? who u think will vote them in a 90-100%??? ( lets enjoy till the dayyy D ) :)

I think some European Countries and north africans a,d a few asians!

2012 London

2014 Sochi

2016 Madrid

Impossible B)

...but that doesn't mean he will vote for the U.S.

Puerto Ricans seem to have a love/hate relationship with the U.S., as do many others. I think we would have a better chance with Barbados or Aruba!

Well, if actually he can vote for Chicago, I can't see any strong reason for not voting them. Anything else would be surprising.

By the way, I see Madrid will be the neutral vote for many of the members in the first round. The city will pass and will have the most difficult time during the second.

By the way, I see Madrid will be the neutral vote for many of the members in the first round. The city will pass and will have the most difficult time during the second.

I would say the first round is the most difficult one for Madrid. If it passes the first, I can imagine the city making it to the final round.

Hello I am new in this forum.

I often read your commentaries and I see that you rule out Tokyo in the first round.

Next rounds will be very difficult and any little element can decide the vote.

- Madrid has a very professional bid but maybe less exciting than others. The project is more serious and is in Europe.

- Chicago has problems with USOC and IOC. I feel that it is less probable day to day.

- Rio has a very interesting project but they can not pay it in a million of years. Pele advised that they can not pay to improve their soccer stadiums for 2014 world cup, how they will built olympics stadiums?.

Sincerely, my vote is for MADRID

Hello I am new in this forum.

I often read your commentaries and I see that you rule out Tokyo in the first round.

Next rounds will be very difficult and any little element can decide the vote.

- Madrid has a very professional bid but maybe less exciting than others. The project is more serious and is in Europe.

- Chicago has problems with USOC and IOC. I feel that it is less probable day to day.

- Rio has a very interesting project but they can not pay it in a million of years. Pele advised that they can not pay to improve their soccer stadiums for 2014 world cup, how they will built olympics stadiums?.

Sincerely, my vote is for MADRID

welcome, franxvi. Madrid is useless. It won't win. It'll be out by the 2nd round.

Here you have the weakest point in Madrid's situation, which almost rules it out of the race: it's in Europe. After all, 2012 will be in Europe and so was 2004. so it would be 3 out 4 Olympic Games.

Either way they have the US economy on their back. The main IOC sponsors and revenues come from the US. So, their economic power might take it, again. Like 1996 in Atlanta and 2002 in Salt Lake City.

Where did you get the notion that Brazil cannot pay. This last economic crisis has turned those conjectures upside down. Currently, Brazil is the only country in the race running Government surpluses and reducing its debt.

Regarding Pele's comment, indeed, much more will be spent on the stadium renovations from the WC, but the money doesn't come from the same budget. Stadiums are going to be built by the clubs and local governments and the renovations for Maracana will be done to support both events. His point is only valid for the host cities in remote areas like Cuiaba and Manaus.

Your reply is very correct and maybe I´m wrong.

I´m dreaming only for my city (Madrid) and I accept its weak points.

Maybe you are right but for 2012 we have the same illusion than yours now and maybe the best bid but the internal politics between IOC members give the games to London.

Nothing is decided and usually don´t win the favourite.

Your reply is very correct and maybe I´m wrong.

I´m dreaming only for my city (Madrid) and I accept its weak points.

Maybe you are right but for 2012 we have the same illusion than yours now and maybe the best bid but the internal politics between IOC members give the games to London.

Nothing is decided and usually don´t win the favourite.

Correct, franxavi...and remember, right now, RIO IS THE FAVORITE!! ;)

Archived