Official Film Of The Beijing Olympics

Guess where I will be on September 5th :lol::lol:

PRESS RELEASES

For immediate distribution - Monday, August 10th, 2009

Official Film of the Beijing Olympics to Première at the Montreal World Film Festival

Montréal, August 7, 2009 – The Montreal World Film Festival has long been a leader in the discovery and showing of documentaries, films that mirror and explain the realities of the world. This year, once again, the MWFF has a strong program of non-fiction, beginning with the world premiere of the Official Film of the Beijing Olympics The Everlasting Flame – Beijing 2008 directed by Gu Jun. Steven Spielberg called Yang Zhimou's production of the Olympic show "the grandest spectacle of the new millennium." This film, a record of what happened at the 2008 games, will be shown on September 5 in the presence of its director.

The Montreal World Film Festival runs from August 27 to September 7, 2009.

http://www.ffm-montreal.org/cgi-bin/webcom...dx=1&ref=59

Lets hope this one gets a dvd release. I havent been able to find many of the Bud Greenspan "official films". I have his Salt Lake City and Athens DVDs purchased off eBay but would love his Sydney and Lilllehammer ones. I assume he was filming Beijing as well as I saw him a few times around the Olympic Park.

I'm a member of the film crew. The film is currently in post-production and we are putting the finishing touches for the film.

A trailer of the film can be found here:

Every Olympics the IOC commissions an Official Film to be made documenting highlights of those specific Olympics. In previous Olympics, Bud Greenspan was the one commissioned to direct the Official Film.

For Beijing, the Official Film was created by Gu Jun and produced by the China Central Newsreel and Documentary Film Studio.

I'd also like to add that the film is premiering on September 7th, not the 5th. We were confused at first with the press releases and confirmed with the Film Festival that it is on the 7th.

So to the OP, on September 5th you'll probably be at home, or watching the many other films in the festival :D

I'm a member of the film crew. The film is currently in post-production and we are putting the finishing touches for the film.

A trailer of the film can be found here:

Every Olympics the IOC commissions an Official Film to be made documenting highlights of those specific Olympics. In previous Olympics, Bud Greenspan was the one commissioned to direct the Official Film.

For Beijing, the Official Film was created by Gu Jun and produced by the China Central Newsreel and Documentary Film Studio.

Wow good preview ! Hope the final movie would be like that.. it's look so different of all the games movies i saw in the past most focus on main results and not to hightlight the sport, the passion and the feelings by themselves !

Lets hope this one gets a dvd release. I havent been able to find many of the Bud Greenspan "official films". I have his Salt Lake City and Athens DVDs purchased off eBay but would love his Sydney and Lilllehammer ones. I assume he was filming Beijing as well as I saw him a few times around the Olympic Park.

Yeah, I wish I could find the Sydney one as well. I remember it had a limited screening in Sydney, I think it was on the first anniversary of the games (and I couldn't make it, not to mention that four days after 9/11, it was a tad swamped by attention elsewhere), and I haven't heard anything much about it since then.

Edited by Sir Roltel

It never got an Aussie dvd release - which seems mad. London2012 - the films I am talking about are made by a famous sports film maker called Bud Greenspan - his movies tend to focus on 4-6 individual athletes and follows them through their Games experience and further archival stuff as well as an overview of the whole Games.

At least that is waht the SLC 2002 (featured athletes include Aussie Alisa Camplin) and Athens 2004 (Hijam Garrouj?? Moroccan middle distance runner - is one athlete) films do.

I am hoping the Beijing 2008 film gets a dvd release outside of China :)

Edited by thatsnotmypuppy

It never got an Aussie dvd release - which seems mad. London2012 - the films I am talking about are made by a famous sports film maker called Bud Greenspan - his movies tend to focus on 4-6 individual athletes and follows them through their Games experience and further archival stuff as well as an overview of the whole Games.

I bought the Greenspan DVD for Beijing and I am totally disappointed.... yes you are following some athletes... but you did not catch the atmosphere.... At the opposite the preview of this Official Film looks amazing !

If, it is something sold in China... you will find it a few second after the release on sale on internet....

I'd also like to add that the film is premiering on September 7th, not the 5th. We were confused at first with the press releases and confirmed with the Film Festival that it is on the 7th.

So to the OP, on September 5th you'll probably be at home, or watching the many other films in the festival :D

Yes, I heard about the change.

They decided to present the film at the closing ceremony gala.

I will be there with some canadians athletes who are good friends of me (few members of the diving team and few member of the fencing team who competed last year)

There are plans for a worldwide DVD release. Stay tuned.

If, it is something sold in China... you will find it a few second after the release on sale on internet....

That's when you know it's a success!

This shapes up to be one very good documentary, I agree. I do have the Bud Greenspan Athens DVD that I too got on eBay, but I have been watching that on Showtime Exteme, where just about all of his recent docs get aired instead in the early afternoon. I'd be interested in who will Bud profiled for his--I can think of more than a few candidates for that, some more obvious than others.

Would like to see the Sydney 2000 one, and I do wish, Troy and Roland, that it should make a DVD appearance. How about a Blu-ray one?

I bought today the big album of the Montreal Film Festival

Here's what they wrote about the film :

THE EVERLASTING FLAME : BEIJING OLYMPICS 2008

Continuing the long tradition of official films of the Olympic Games, THE EVERLASTING FLAME : BEIJING OLYMPICS 2008 documents at ounce the behind-the-scenes stories of the immense preparations of last summer's games, personal stories of the athletes themselves, and the spectacular opening and closing ceremonies, not to mention the athletic competitions themselves. Commissioned by the International Olympic Committe, THE EVERLASTING FLAME becomes part of the indelible history of the Olympic Games. Under the supervision of Gu Jun, who had previously directed DREAM WEAVERS - BEIJING 2008, a documentary about the 7 years of preparations for the games, the film crew spent over a year in pre-production, then set out in March 2008 to follow the Olympic torch across ten countries on its way to China. Along with the Olympic athletes in training, the film also documents the preparations undertaken in Beijing and across China. The film countains interviews and vignettes with many of the world's greatest athletes, including Jamaica's sprint superstar Usain Bolt, China's hurdles star Liu Xiang, legendary Ethiopan distance runner Haile Gebrselassie, and the first female to represant Iran in Taekwondo, Sara Kosh Jamal. The stories of these athletes from different cultures add up to a demonstration of the 2008 Olympic slogan, Òne World, One Dream.

110 minutes.

Edited by Chateau Petrus

• 2 weeks later...

WOW

AMAZING

I just came back from the first viewing (there will be two other later today, and off course I will see both of them)

I hope to everyone of you to have the chance to see it eventually.

I'm still in chock to had to relive such intense moments, since I was in the crowd for a lot (maybe half of them) of the events shown in the movie.

The quality of the images was outstanding.

WOW

AMAZING

I just came back from the first viewing (there will be two other later today, and off course I will see both of them)

I hope to everyone of you to have the chance to see it eventually.

I'm still in chock to had to relive such intense moments, since I was in the crowd for a lot (maybe half of them) of the events shown in the movie.

The quality of the images was outstanding.

Chateau Petrus, I'm glad you enjoyed it! When I first viewed the film entirely (w/o the soundtrack and music), it was already amazing.