If Madrid Wins... Now Or Future...

Who will put the fire??????????

A mini poll for enjoy :D

i think some : Rafa Nadal, Gasol, Gemma Mengual or Joan JAneras.

What do u think?

Kienes creeis que pueda ser? solo es por animar un poco el cotarro y no decaigan los animos hasta el dia D :D

Not easy to know what may happen till Madrid hosts sometime, but those choices would seem plausible right now.

Rafa Nadal and Pau Gasol are particularly obvious, they're the biggest sport stars in Spain (outside of football) and both medalist in Beijing (gold and silver respectively). I think Joan Llaneras may be a bit more deserving from a merely Olympic POV, he's the Spanish sportman with the best medal record (a gold in Sydney, a silver in Athens, and a gold and a silver in Beijing), and he's been dedicated to a sport with less media attention (track cycling). If we were to choose a woman, Gemma Mengual (synchro swimming) would be a good choice, Spanish public is fond of her. Other choices:

- Arantxa Sánchez Vicario, the most succesful Spanish sportswoman and she's got four Olympic medals.

- Gervasio Deferr, gymnast, gold in vault in Sydney and Athens and silver in floor in Beijing.

- Miguel Indurain, probably the greatest sport legend with 5 Tours, 2 Giros, and the gold in time trial in Atlanta.

- Fermín Cacho, gold in Barcelona in 1500m and silver in Atlanta, his victory in Barcelona remains as one of the greatest images for Spaniards from those games.

And then there are many out of the field choices, after all we had a paralympic archer in Barcelona: I don't know, members of the royal family, many have participated at the olympics, beginning with the King himself, Queen Sofía, Prince Felipe, Infanta Cristina & husband Iñaki... I hope not :lol:

Not easy to know what may happen till Madrid hosts sometime, but those choices would seem plausible right now.

Rafa Nadal and Pau Gasol are particularly obvious, they're the biggest sport stars in Spain (outside of football) and both medalist in Beijing (gold and silver respectively). I think Joan Llaneras may be a bit more deserving from a merely Olympic POV, he's the Spanish sportman with the best medal record (a gold in Sydney, a silver in Athens, and a gold and a silver in Beijing), and he's been dedicated to a sport with less media attention (track cycling). If we were to choose a woman, Gemma Mengual (synchro swimming) would be a good choice, Spanish public is fond of her. Other choices:

- Arantxa Sánchez Vicario, the most succesful Spanish sportswoman and she's got four Olympic medals.

- Gervasio Deferr, gymnast, gold in vault in Sydney and Athens and silver in floor in Beijing.

- Miguel Indurain, probably the greatest sport legend with 5 Tours, 2 Giros, and the gold in time trial in Atlanta.

- Fermín Cacho, gold in Barcelona in 1500m and silver in Atlanta, his victory in Barcelona remains as one of the greatest images for Spaniards from those games.

And then there are many out of the field choices, after all we had a paralympic archer in Barcelona: I don't know, members of the royal family, many have participated at the olympics, beginning with the King himself, Queen Sofía, Prince Felipe, Infanta Cristina & husband Iñaki... I hope not :lol:

loooooooooooooooooool Little infanta Leonor? future queen! jajajaja

what is the average time between games that countries host aside from the US ? London 64 years , Australia 44 years, Germany 36 years , .

with Barcelona 92 less then 20 years in our past and the last time Germany hosted being 38 years ago who knows these guys may not be alive by the time the games come to Madrid.

I think the times between a country hosting are going to naturally get longer as all the way since 1952 you have have new frontier hosts in 1952, 1956, 1964, 1968 , 1976, 1980, 1988, 1992, 2008. The repeat hosts in that time frame are three via bid elections . Rome , London and Athens. The trend has been to prior host cities and countries in the 2000's but with no closer then 44 years between hostings. A long line of Prior Hosts have been rejected in the time as well including Rome ,Berlin , Paris , Los Angeles , Melbourne with only two being rejected for other prior host cities. Multiple attempts have been made by these prior hosts.

Jim Jones.

By the way, all those statistics and arguments make perfect sense, and I can see Madrid will have a very tough time to get the 2016 games, I would have waited myself till the 2020 process at least. But let's not forget that against those odds, with even worse time span prospects, the 2012 bid led the second round of the election and just felt short of two votes to get to the final round. I don't know if it's the influence and lobying power of Samaranch, but we don't know wether Madrid may be chosen for 2020, 2024 or 2028, when the time for Europe comes again and the rest of main candidates may be again cities that have already hosted, unlike Madrid. The Madrileños have a genuine excitement to host the Olympics to boost their city's projection, with healthy envy of what Barcelona achieved, and even if they don't get the games anytime relatively soon, they improve their city in the process, it's their time and money after all.

All these babling comes because it's a bit repetitive to read the same arguments against Madrid's intentions all across the board, even in a topic like this one created just for pure speculative fun. Excuse me. ;)

More names: David Cal, Manel Estiarte, Alberto Contador or Blanca Fernández-Ochoa

Alberto and Blanca have the extra of being from Madrid themselves. Alberto hasn't got any olympic glory yet though, if he keeps his current form he will be in a good position in time trial in London. Blanca would be the first crossover from winter to summer olympics.

If he can swing it for Madrid to win ...

His Excellency Samaranch should light it!

;)

Samaranch will be dead in 2016 for sure... He's already ninetysomething, I think.

I'm thinking about Gemma Mengual or Rafa Nadal for 2016. Zhivanevskaya, maybe, Llaneras as well, Deferr... Crown prince Felipe was already flag bearer for Spain in Barcelona 92... And definitely I can't see any other royal taking part in Madrid 2016.

Samaranch will be dead in 2016 for sure... He's already ninetysomething, I think.

I'm thinking about Gemma Mengual or Rafa Nadal for 2016. Zhivanevskaya, maybe, Llaneras as well, Deferr... Crown prince Felipe was already flag bearer for Spain in Barcelona 92... And definitely I can't see any other royal taking part in Madrid 2016.

Well, dont forget Manel Estiarte, but the most populars in many many years i think will be still Rafa nadal, Pau, Gemma and Indurain!

Archived