08/08/08 +1

Altough they organized their olympics pretty well, i still want to know what made Samaranch think that the olympics would change China politics :lol: ...besides, its pretty sad to see that such a masterpiece like the Bird Nesthas not an apparent future :c (i guess that gives more reasons for London to support their ''legacy'' blahblahblah XD)

I think some of the Olympics people believe that the Games can change the world. That is debatable. The Olympics only last 2 weeks and are nothing more than a sports competition...granted, one with a lot of interest, publicity, and pride for the host. But can they really change the human condition? Probably no more than a vacation or a party can change the course of your own life. You'll still have bills to pay, relationships to manage, work to do, even if you do have a lot of memories and souvenirs.

Well, I feel that the Beijing gov't now feels more of a part of the community of nations and has stepped up to the plate for responsibility. It is no longer the paranoid, jingoistic schizoid state that North Korea still is. Maybe it's time to give PyongYang a whole series of Games and expos, etc.

2014 - Commonwealth Games

2015 - Miss UNiverse

2016 - Asian Games

2017 - Miss International

2018 - the Oscars, etc., etc.

Well, I feel that the Beijing gov't now feels more of a part of the community of nations and has stepped up to the plate for responsibility. It is no longer the paranoid, jingoistic schizoid state that North Korea still is. Maybe it's time to give PyongYang a whole series of Games and expos, etc.

2014 - Commonwealth Games

2015 - Miss UNiverse

2016 - Asian Games

2017 - Miss International

2018 - the Oscars, etc., etc.

Well, I think China's "openness" was spurred more by economic development and an interest in flexing its muscles on a global scene. Emerging countries use the Olympics to say "look at me and all I have become" once they get to a certain point in their development, rather than the other way around. Since rejoining the Olympic movement in 1984, it was just a matter of time before China hosted. Just as it was a matter of time that Japan hosted and will soon be just a matter of time before South America hosts.

India, to a lesser extent. While their economy is growing, they really need to up the ante on their Olympic sporting prowess. They've only won 15 medals since WW2. That closely matches what Brazil got in one go in Beijing, what Greece kept in Athens, and what Canada nabbed in Sydney. Michael Phelps has 5 more Olympic wins than all of India has in over 100 years of participation. I'd wager a guess that after the 2010 Commonwealth Games, India will start to make a move.

_44905741_flame_ap.jpg

My how time flies. One year ago today. Wonder how Beijing is marking it?

They have host on this 8th August, the soccer Italian SuperCup between Milano & Roma

http://www.soccerway.com/news/2009/August/...lian-super-cup/

I have heard that there had been only two events held in the Olympic Stadium after the closing ceremony and the anniversaire:

- a concert of Jackie Chan

- a sport event for students of the experimental elementary school No. 2 from Beijing

... that is in my point of view a pathetic legacy of an Olympic Stadium, which was built to become a major architectual sight

I think some of the Olympics people believe that the Games can change the world. That is debatable. The Olympics only last 2 weeks and are nothing more than a sports competition...granted, one with a lot of interest, publicity, and pride for the host. But can they really change the human condition? Probably no more than a vacation or a party can change the course of your own life. You'll still have bills to pay, relationships to manage, work to do, even if you do have a lot of memories and souvenirs.

At least the Seoul 1988 Olympics seem to have made an important contribution to South Korea's turn to democracy.

I think that is giving too much credit to the Olympics. Democracy and freedom comes from the people fighting for and pushing for it. Not elite athletes competing for medals. In some of the democratic countries that have hosted the Olympics, I'd be willing to bet they wished they had a totalitarian government backing them in organizing the Games. I'm sure VANOC would love to shut many of their critics up. LOCOG, too. The Olympics are great. But they are not about democracy.

Really, this year has gone far too quickly!

I remember having the OC on my office PC just after lunch, in a tiny streaming window behind what I was actually working on, and sneaking a peak at it every now and again to see what was going on. Even at that small size it looked awesome (

) and catching the best bits on TV later on was obviously even better! Edited by Rob

I remember having the OC on my office PC just after lunch, in a tiny streaming window behind what I was actually working on, and sneaking a peak at it every now and again to see what was going on. Even at that small size it looked awesome (
) and catching the best bits on TV later on was obviously even better!

I took a day holiday to watch the OC live on TV - I even bought a new flat screen TV-set (my old one had problems with the colours - and I wanted to watch the show in good colours)!

At least the Seoul 1988 Olympics seem to have made an important contribution to South Korea's turn to democracy.

Democracy ? Ever seen any of their famous Korean parliment brawls ? Still it was really that turning point that lead to spike of South Korean economy. Just look at wide spread of Korean culture today ! Its more global and to some aspects, similar to Japan's.

LG, Samsung they all had their world debut at Seoul '88 and KBS (Korean Broadcastic Service) ? Their shows are among the most sought after in Asia.

I arrived back in Oz after a month in Europe the day before the OC.

I'd passed through HK, and seeing the airport decked out for the games and various accredited teams, offiucials around the place (all equatrian, I assume) helped raise the anticipation (as if I needed much more).

It was a great two weeks - my second gams I've shard and experienced with my GamesBidder mates. They weren't my favourite all-time Olympics (Sydney and Barcelona still hold special places in my heart) but one of the good ones nonetheless.

Edited by Sir Roltel

I think it would be really hard to beat the atmosphere of the Olympics in countries like Spain and Australia. Friendly, genuine, and energetic people. For China, there was too much at stake. Same for Greece. Likely more nervous and anxious smiles than anything. I also find people from the US South to be very friendly, if a bit out of touch with the way the rest of the world is.

I think it would be really hard to beat the atmosphere of the Olympics in countries like Spain and Australia. Friendly, genuine, and energetic people. For China, there was too much at stake. Same for Greece. Likely more nervous and anxious smiles than anything. I also find people from the US South to be very friendly, if a bit out of touch with the way the rest of the world is.

LOL. I tend to agree with you there. And I expect Canadians to similar next year.

For both Greece and China, in my observations, there was too much national pride involved for them to relax and actually enjoy it. It's like they took the games far too seriously and solemnly. To me, the thing (or one of the things) that I will always carry from my memories of Sydney, and I didn't expect it before the games, was the way Australians had fun, relaxed and even took the mickey out of the games, and ourselves. It was layed-back, anti-establishment Aussie culture at its best.

Edited by Sir Roltel

Atlanta is the most northern city in the south, so....

That was one hell of a two weeks for Canada sport, a week of soul searching, criticism and outright outrage at our performance from the same people that scream bloody murder when the government decides to throw a bone to our athletes, oh the hypocrisy. And then the second week with 18 medals, our 2nd best performance at a games not boycotted.

Though the trampoline nonsense still hurts, if those games had been held anywhere else we would have one both gold, especially in the men's. But because it was in China the extra points swung to the Chinese, even with a very obvious mistake. But oh well.

Edited by Faster

I also find people from the US South to be very friendly, if a bit out of touch with the way the rest of the world is.

I keep forgetting what a great time I had in Atlanta, and yes, it was the people, the down-home folksiness and friendliness, that made it. I couldn't walk two steps without constant "Y'all need some help there?", "Y'All having a great time!". Wonderful people!