Your Chosen City In Three Pictures

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Let's take a look closely to the pic you posted.

rio3.jpg

To be honest I quite like this artistic intervention in the slum area.

I saw it the other day on the BBC, I suppose.

There are two Dutch guys living in those communities and helping them. Sadly I forgot their name or the name of their project but I liked it.

I don't think there's a better booing place than brazil. At the Pan Ams it was so embarassing, Lula is such a great leader nd the people don't show the respect he deserves. when the Argentinean and American delegation entered the stadium they were booed, and Many other sports During the pan ams, speacially during gymnastics competition where it's needed silence for concentration, when one of them fell down the crowd wud cheer nd also when the American anthem was played. I totally dislike This kind of behavior, it doesn't happen every where like u stated, it's not part of the part of the games it's inside everyone who's ignorant.

I don't like booes either, but, Brazil is not only country where exists boos...

My signature is not offending, c'mon. People here putted the butt of a Brazilian actrees to show Rio de Janeiro shore curves...

Nobody denied Rio have slums and traffic jams..... So.....

If city with ghettos, poor places, homeless and traffic jams and transportation issues could not host the olympics, send the games to some village in Switzerland...

PS: Don't ask moderators to Miguel... Let him show their pictures of other bids that he is not supporting...

This don't make me angry... But make him fool...

it's time for American friends to stop it. Or the Brazilians are creating trolls to defame Chicago, too? No.

Very, very ugly ... disgrace to Chicago.

I ask the help of the world famous No Games Chicago 2016... if is to post pictures of slums of Rio, I will post on the forum all the content of the No Games Chicago. OK?

OK!

it's time for American friends to stop it. Or the Brazilians are creating trolls to defame Chicago, too? No.

I ask the help of the world famous No Games Chicago 2016... if is to post pictures of slums of Rio, I will post on the forum all the content of the No Games Chicago. OK?

OK!

funny, world famous...

Go for it. People don't take you serious anyway.

OK!

Being a little too quick with the attribution there -- Miguel says that he's from Mexico; the baron-pierre series of UserIDs, for the most part, are not to be taken personally--baron-pierreIV does seem sincere in his efforts to be negative and to talk everyone else down on an almost equal opportunity basis; the others are apparently commentary on baron-pierreIV so shouldn't be taken seriously either.

Basic reality of the Internet is that people will be ridiculous and offensive and often doesn't reflect what most people think. As my posts indicate, I don't consider trolling or overtly negative posts to be productive or useful.

CHItown '16

I can't understand why people are posting slum pictures and why others are getting offended by that.

Slums exist in Rio. It's a fact. Nobody here is getting any award for innovative journalism by showing us these pictures. We have seen it all before.

But from my perspective this is actually an advantage Rio has rather than a drawback.

I believe the games, if hosted in the South American city, could have a very positive impact on the lives of local people, including those living in slums.

In my opinion, using these pictures above shows how disconnected some participants are to social issues and how blind certain obvious viewpoints can be.

Instead of complaining and getting unnecessarily angry about the slum photos, why aren't the Brazilians talking about the potential positive effects of the games on the poor and engaging in those issues?

Which brings me to a point I have permanently observed in this forum (and even considered creating a separate discussion topic): should SOG's go only to developed countries or could they be used by developing nations to help them boosting their standards of living (of course, safety and all that provided)?

One of the reasons I support Rio is that I believe they are the ones who will get the most out of it.

And the slums pictures only remind me of that and strengthen my will.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q...earch&meta=

I can't understand why people are posting slum pictures and why others are getting offended by that.

Slums exist in Rio. It's a fact. Nobody here is getting any award for innovative journalism by showing us these pictures. We have seen it all before.

But from my perspective this is actually an advantage Rio has rather than a drawback.

I believe the games, if hosted in the South American city, could have a very positive impact on the lives of local people, including those living in slums.

In my opinion, using these pictures above shows how disconnected some participants are to social issues and how blind certain obvious viewpoints can be.

Instead of complaining and getting unnecessarily angry about the slum photos, why aren't the Brazilians talking about the potential positive effects of the games on the poor and engaging in those issues?

Which brings me to a point I have permanently observed in this forum (and even considered creating a separate discussion topic): should SOG's go only to developed countries or could they be used by developing nations to help them boosting their standards of living (of course, safety and all that provided)?

One of the reasons I support Rio is that I believe they are the ones who will get the most out of it.

And the slums pictures only remind me of that and strengthen my will.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q...earch&meta=

Simply analogy.

When you go out and buy expensive things, do you want to pay cash or credit? Cash no interest no debt, Credit big interest big debt.

Are you going to buy expensive things or buy food for people who are hungry?

RIO'S WALL - WALL THAT SEPARATES RICH AND POOR PEOPLE

1238317151935_174.jpg

rio_favelas_wall.jpg

1238317151935_174.jpg

Brazil_rio_di_jan_83181gm-b.jpg

No offense to poor people but I'll definately build a wall separating and protecting my property. If you so concerned about inequality of the social classes, Miguel, go give away your money to charity and volunteer in a favela, u'd make ur time more productive rather than wasting it here posting stuff we already kno that exists. And don't you worry, you have no influence on the votes neither on our decision of the olympics. Last thing, there's lot of culture from the favelas and the poor, they make a big part of the city's history and scenario, nd yes with violence, unfortunately..nd people like you promotes inequality.

No offense to poor people but I'll definately build a wall separating and protecting my property. If you so concerned about inequality of the social classes, Miguel, go give away your money to charity and volunteer in a favela, u'd make ur time more productive rather than wasting it here posting stuff we already kno that exists. And don't you worry, you have no influence on the votes neither on our decision of the olympics. Last thing, there's lot of culture from the favelas and the poor, they make a big part of the city's history and scenario, nd yes with violence, unfortunately..nd people like you promotes inequality.

What "MIGUEL", or Baron using a fake ID, intentionally "forgot" to say is that the walls are being built ONLY to stop the slums to grow even more in the direction of forested areas. There aren't, with some exceptions, much FANCY houses around them. Specially in Rocinha, the slum in the pics, the thing is that federal government is investing a really great amount of money to urbanize the community in order to bring a hospital, more schools, sports fields, roads, and all the improvements that are necessary... at the same time, since they are also constructing some buidings to place the families that are being taken off from the limits of the community (the ones who are on the top, where the wall is being built and where will also be built a road to connect the whole community).

So, mr. "Mexican-Phillippinnian" boy... try to study a bit more before saying bulls... here.

BTW I totally agree that there's no problem AT ALL in posting Slum's pictures.... specially from one that is receiving great investiments from our government.

I also agree that the games can improve even more the lives of the people who live in those communities. That's what Rio stands for.

I didn't start a thread about the "walls" - simply wanted to engage in discussion about whether it was good for Rio to talk more about the favelas in regards to making the argument that the Olympics would be an agent of change for the city just as some of you suggested.

Soaring, I created a thread for your desperate psychological terrorism with a possible Rio win:

http://www.gamesbids.com/forums/index.php?...aded&start=

Not cynical, post your comment about Rio. Is a theme park for you, the trolls, miguel, baron ... ;)

I don't agree to it... Soaring is most of time a serious participant of this forum... Maybe don't know much about Rio and Brazil, but he's ok.

About the others, don't forget now the newbie Henrique Valverde... A huge contestant for "the most idiot here"...

Archived