2018 Winter Olympic Games : Let's Go.....

<_< Nonsense.

你别再胡说八道了,我从来没听说过东北部有什么争议领土。再说了,朝鲜交界是在吉林省,和黑龙江省的哈尔滨没关系。你别在这一派胡言了。 ;)

I'll have a go at it (: , he said "Don't talk nonsense. I have never heard about being disputed land. Besides, Han-yang-jian-shi is at Jie-lin-dun and has nothing to do with Harbin. Stop being a _____ here."

Sorry, I have no idea with 胡言 means.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll have a go at it (: , he said "Don't talk nonsense. I have never heard ANYTHING about IT being disputed land. Besides, Han-yang-jian-shi is at Jie-lin-dun and has nothing to do with Harbin. Stop being a _____ here."

I suppose he tried to say that Harbin's Alpine/Snow venues aren't close to North-Korea and that there are no disputed territories...
I'll have a go at it (: , he said "Don't talk nonsense. I have never heard about being disputed land. Besides, Han-yang-jian-shi is at Jie-lin-dun and has nothing to do with Harbin. Stop being a _____ here."

wow - I can read chinese!!

;)

... and I was just guessing....

The Government made a statement last week:

Harbin considers bid

As long as they make the deadline for bids (I think it's October 15), they're in time.

Ohh, dear Sir Roltel, its so nice that you give this news to us. Thanks a lot.

By now, many medias have called out that Harbin would bid for 2018 WOG, but they are all very objective and have a clear mind. They know what Harbin's superior and disadvantaged points.

But look at the governor, their attitude is not clear at all. It could make people maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad, that's their manner or style they called.

GOD~~

<_< Nonsense.

你别再胡说八道了,我从来没听说过东北部有什么争议领土。再说了,朝鲜交界是在吉林省,和黑龙江省的哈尔滨没关系。你别在这一派胡言了。 ;)

I will admit that I had Harbin confused with another bid, but to say there is no disputed territory is laughable. China has disputed territory with Taiwan, Vietnam, Japan, Russia, North Korea, South Korea, India, Bhutan and Mongolia by memory. But I digress.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I kinda hope Pyeong-Chang gets it since they tried so hard and came so close the past 2 times, and it would be great to have the winter games in an Asian country other than Japan (no offense to any Japanese, but you're the only Asian country to host the winter games, and you did so twice.)

Although, I would totally go for Munich! The Germans love winter sports and are good at them, so they deserve it. If Munich gets it, it'd be the first time a city hosts both winter and summer games, which would be cool. I'd also be ok with Geneva, Switzerland, but I don't want France to get it. I'd prefer they get another summer games first before they go for another (4th) winter games.

• 2 weeks later...

Annecy, Pyeongchang, and Munich are in. Given the short deadline to apply after the vote in Copenhagen this week, who else could we see join the fray? Almaty? Sofia? A Swedish bid? Zaragoza? It certainly doesn't shape up to be a crowded field. My guess is we'll likely see a bid from China, probably Harbin. Beyond that, it looks murky. Almaty has considered bidding again but nothing seems definite. Their chances would be hurt by Sochi hosting in 2014. My prediction is Almaty sits this one out and takes a shot in 2022 when they have the 2011 Asian Winter Games under their belt. If Madrid fails in its 2016 bid, could we perhaps see Zaragoza? I thought Sofia would be another lock for a 2014 bid but again, I think they might sit this one out due to the proximity to Sochi. I suppose a Swedish bid is possible. Who knows?

My prediction is Harbin announces a bid and maybe one other European candidate.

I think we'll get another bid or two and agree with the above...from China or Spain.

Really early on, I think this is Munich's to lose. Vancouver is proving to be a very smooth process (the hiccups are minor compared to some other Olympic Games) and Sochi is a riskier process. Germany has a great reputation for efficiency and getting things done and Munich's basics look a lot like the Vancouver model. They'd have to flub it up to lose to the minor blip towns from France and Korea. Unless Spain wins a consolation prize to keep them from bidding again for the Summer Games? But at this stage, Munich has far too much to offer for them to be defeated for non-political reasons.

What about the IOC's interest in promoting more winter sports in Asia? I would think that would give Pyeongchang a big boost in that category. Two North American & Two European Winter Games since the last Asian Winter Games is surely gonna be another big boost for Pyeongchang. I'd say Pyeongchang is the Rio for 2018, while Munich is more like the Tokyo (more of a been there, done that kinda thing).

What about the IOC's interest in promoting more winter sports in Asia? I would think that would give Pyeongchang a big boost in that category. Two North American & Two European Winter Games since the last Asian Winter Games is surely gonna be another big boost for Pyeongchang. I'd say Pyeongchang is the Rio for 2018, while Munich is more like the Tokyo (more of a been there, done that kinda thing).

Except I would say Munich offers a very sentimental and emotional appeal in this race that no-one else can match - the chance to have the first dual Summer-Winter host city, PLUS the chance to make some amends for and put behind the tragedy of Munich 1972 behind. I'd say that's a HUGE plus for Munich.

If anyone's going to suffer from a "fatigue" factor, I'd say PC is the "been there - didn't wanna do that" candidate.

But again, what about the IOC's desire to promote more winter sports in Asia? I can't see how that aspect would fatigue the IOC (& especially with a South Korean bid that came very, very, close to winning both times that they bid). Surely, I would think, that would be a far more appealing attribute than say a first-time Winter/Summer host city. I think this whole fatigue factor about Pyeongchang with the IOC is way blown out of proportion. That argument mainly comes from all the Munich supporters on here, & I don't see it holding too much water.

And as far as Munich amending the past; is that something that the IOC would like to do, too? As awful as Black September was, does the IOC really want to look back at that event by having Munich maybe re-hashing it as an appeal? I don't know about you, but that doesn't sound like a big selling point to me. The Olympic Movement is about "moving" forward, & I don't see an aspect like that in promoting such an endeavor.

But again, what about the IOC's desire to promote more winter sports in Asia? I can't see how that aspect would fatigue the IOC (& especially with a South Korean bid that came very, very, close to winning both times that they bid). Surely, I would think, that would be a far more appealing attribute than say a first-time Winter/Summer host city. I think this whole fatigue factor about Pyeongchang with the IOC is way blown out of proportion. That argument mainly comes from all the Munich supporters on here, & I don't see it holding too much water.

And as far as Munich amending the past; is that something that the IOC would like to do, too? As awful as Black September was, does the IOC really want to look back at that event by having Munich maybe re-hashing it as an appeal? I don't know about you, but that doesn't sound like a big selling point to me. The Olympic Movement is about "moving" forward, & I don't see an aspect like that in promoting such an endeavor.

Well, that's the big question isn't it. It may not resonate with you, but it seems to me the Munich appealk resonates with many others.

PC may have come close twice, but coming close isnot winning. Personally I think their biggest problem is lack of support and interest for winter sports in Korea - it's been noted many times that events they've hosted just don't get much interest.

Whatever, we'll see. At this stage I'd just personally place Munich as the clear frontrunner. I just get a vibe about it that I sure have never got from PC.

Well, that's the big question isn't it. It may not resonate with you, but it seems to me the Munich appealk resonates with many others.

And just who are these many others? All the Munich supporters? That's not very objective.

"Personally I think their biggest problem is lack of support & interest for winter sports in Korea - it's been noted many times that events they've hosted just don't get much interest."

All the more reason to further promote winter sports in Asia. The South Koreans were/are certainly enthusiastic about the bid, though.

Archived