A Threat To The Bid?

EU condemns recent attacks in Spain

www.chinaview.cn 2009-07-31 03:02:18   Print

STOCKHOLM, July 30 (Xinhua) -- The European Union (EU) said Thursday it condemns in the strongest terms the recent terrorist attack in Spain.

"EU condemns in the strongest terms the terrorist attack in Calvia, Mallorca, that has killed two civil guards and injured innocent people, as well as yesterday's attack in Burgos," the EU presidency Sweden said in a statement.

The presidency conveys its deepest sympathies and condolences to the families of the victims of these brutal acts and expresses its solidarity with Spain in the fight against terrorism, the statement added.

A total of 46 people were slightly injured Wednesday when a car bomb, planted by suspected members of the Basque separatist group ETA, exploded outside a police compound in the city of Burgos in northern Spain. Two Spanish Guardia Civil police officers were killed on Thursday when a bomb exploded outside their barracks on the resort island Mallorca.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2009-07/...nt_11801188.htm

---------------------------------------------

so it's been 2 attacks in less than 24 hrs. Does it represent a threat to Madrid 2016?

I don't think it would affect directly but might bring up many questions on the countries safety. It's getting so close to the decision day, feel bad for Spain.

Do you think this might put the bid in Risk?!

We have discussed this issue before. While this definitely does not help their bid, and it makes it fresh in IOC members minds just 2 months from the decision, I wouldn't say it eliminates them in the least.

All of the bid cities will have to deal with some threat if chosen, and some cities like Madrid would have to take even extra precautions. Just as Chicago has had some threats in the past and does have a high crime rate, and Tokyo's subway attacks in the 90's and its proximity to North Korea, and Rio has the highest murder rate of the bid cities - so all have the potential to be effected by these issues.

But I think the closest to Oct, more impact it would have on the decision. And news has been calling this "terrorist attack" not like a civil conflict like in rio.

It's nothing new to Spain. It just brings it to the forefront. Nothing like happened in Barcelona; and Barcelona is a bit closer to Basque country of France and Spain.

Neither in Expo Sevilla 92 nor Expo Zaragoza 2008.

Nothing like happened in Barcelona; and Barcelona is a bit closer to Basque country of France and Spain.

Not to mention ETA used to be a more virulent organization in the eighties and first nineties. They killed a police agent in Barcelona, next to Montjuïc, just three days before the election of the city as host on october 1986, and that year only they killed over 40 people in 40 attacks. In 1992 they killed 26 people in 18 attacks. Nowadays they are less powerful, their social support is becoming insignificant, but still, it's been their fifty anniversary and unfortunately this is the only way they know to stay relevant in the media.

I'm Basque myself and I can't stand my homeland being associated with these people. :angry:

Archived