Britain's Bidding Streak

I really hope Fifa do award England the honour of hosting the 2018 World Cup - they're certainly one of the most capable candidates.

My only concern is what the UK will do in the 2020s and beyond - the chances to stage mega-events such as the Olympics and World Cup are few and far between for individual European countries anyway as there are so many capable hosts to share the events around. Having both within a few years would be an amazing experience but it would mean an even longer wait for the chance to stage a comparable event again.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I really hope Fifa do award England the honour of hosting the 2018 World Cup - they're certainly one of the most capable candidates.

My only concern is what the UK will do in the 2020s and beyond - the chances to stage mega-events such as the Olympics and World Cup are few and far between for individual European countries anyway as there are so many capable hosts to share the events around. Having both within a few years would be an amazing experience but it would mean an even longer wait for the chance to stage a comparable event again.

Good point.

However, Britain can still bid on other sports events which have not been hosted here yet - world athletics championships etc. Scotland might even bid for the European football championships.

It's funny, Britain's 'sporting decade' from 2010 onwards is a bit like buses - sometimes they never turn up but when they do two come at once. lol.

Good point.

However, Britain can still bid on other sports events which have not been hosted here yet - world athletics championships etc. Scotland might even bid for the European football championships.

It's funny, Britain's 'sporting decade' from 2010 onwards is a bit like buses - sometimes they never turn up but when they do two come at once. lol.

True.

The UK is lucky to get the chance at all - not many do.

I read a book about an Olympic city post hosting - I can't remember which it was now - I think it may have been Sydney. It said the poplace of mega-event cities/countries are often left feeling really flat in the immediate aftermath of the Games. I suppose it's like spending ages planning a party and it's then all over really quickly. If this is true I hope Scotland (and Wales?) do get their Euro Championships and perhaps Cardiff or even Belfast a Commonwealth Games in the 2020/30s. The book continued though that after a year or so pride in what was achieved by hosting the event takes over.

True.

I read a book about an Olympic city post hosting - I can't remember which it was now - I think it may have been Sydney. It said the poplace of mega-event cities/countries are often left feeling really flat in the immediate aftermath of the Games. I suppose it's like spending ages planning a party and it's then all over really quickly. If this is true I hope Scotland (and Wales?) do get their Euro Championships and perhaps Cardiff or even Belfast a Commonwealth Games in the 2020/30s. The book continued though that after a year or so pride in what was achieved by hosting the event takes over.

Great post!

Yeah I suppose with any 'climax' there is an 'anti-climax'. However, when the dust has settled and a little bit of time has passed, people can look back with a little hindsight and take pride in what has been achieved. People get wrapped up in the moment, which is understandable!

I think there are plans for Birmingham to host the Commonwealth games. I also think Cardiff could too.

It's strange how a few years make all the difference - at the turn of the millennium, Britain was awarded the world athletics championships and renegaded on it's promise to build an athletics stadium. This was condemned. However, now Britain is doing well in attracting big sporting events to it's shores!

True.

I read a book about an Olympic city post hosting - I can't remember which it was now - I think it may have been Sydney. It said the poplace of mega-event cities/countries are often left feeling really flat in the immediate aftermath of the Games. I suppose it's like spending ages planning a party and it's then all over really quickly.

Yep, I read that piece as well and it was to do with Sydney. The piece even suggested suicide rates spiked in the months after Sydney 2000 because the whole city was on a giant comedown. I don't know how true this is; maybe some of our Ozzie members can shed some light (if they themselves aren't feeling too gloomy watching the ashes).

Does anyone else know about this article, or have Stu and myself imagined it between us? It'd be quite good in this thread if anyone can post it...

Yep, I read that piece as well and it was to do with Sydney. The piece even suggested suicide rates spiked in the months after Sydney 2000 because the whole city was on a giant comedown. I don't know how true this is; maybe some of our Ozzie members can shed some light (if they themselves aren't feeling too gloomy watching the ashes).

Does anyone else know about this article, or have Stu and myself imagined it between us? It'd be quite good in this thread if anyone can post it...

Hmmm. Hard one to quantify. Yes, we had all heard and read and were told of the post-games comedown, but I'm not really sure if it happened or not. Most of the examples I remember were from the aftermaths of the Vancouver and Brisbane World Expos of the 80s. I certainly can't remember any news of a "suicide spike". If anything, I think we were still on a high for a while. Probably the most notable thing (and people talked about this for years) was when we all settled back down to "normal" life, a constant refrain was complaining about why our public transport system worked so well during the games, but was back to its normal shite state all too quickly. Oh, and those of us who didn't get out of of town and enjoyed the festival, could keep niggling those who

felt they had to "escape" the circus.

If only England was more like your beloved Nigeria.

And Britain's economy is not "so called" - it is an objective fact that Britain has the 4th largest economy on earth. Oh, and unlike Nigeria we don't live in mud huts. Just sayin'.

Your American pro sports example is lacking - football is the biggest sport on earth therefore there is foreign incentive to invest in it and since the biggest teams are in England predominantly it makes sense that there will be foreign owners.

(Just like Nigeria's economy is owned by foreigner. ROFL)

Jim, you keep trying to start arguments by attacking Britain. Everyone is laughing at you. Who actually likes you ( except the tribesman you met in Abuja).

P.S. Jim, did you take my advice and get a boyfriend/girlfriend. I only suggested it so that it would encourage you to get out more and hopefully mean you don't post here as much. Also, as everyone here on Gamesbid forums know, you are a grown man who collects 'bad' photos of Glasgow because you are prejuduced against Scottish people. You said you have an album full - you use them to try and malign cities online by posting bad photos. Do you not think that is strange behavior for a supposedly heterosexual man?

I have made the text pink for you Jim - you just strike me as the kind of guy who likes 'fairy' pink.

gee whats you entreprenuer of the decade the guy who owns the Carphone Warehouse . I has to laff when I saw that guy get on the board of the London 2012 olympics . Now that scraps the barrel.

What next the author of Harry potter LOL.

Jim jones

gee whats you entreprenuer of the decade the guy who owns the Carphone Warehouse . I has to laff when I saw that guy get on the board of the London 2012 olympics . Now that scraps the barrel.

What next the author of Harry potter LOL.

Jim jones

ATTENTIION!

Jim Jones is trying to hijack another thread with silly cultural slurs. Everyone, just be patient with him - he is like a smelly fart that lingers for a while but which eventually will go away! :P

Back to the topic before I was rudely interrupted.......

I think part of the issue with the whole 'suicide spike' issue is that information which would not be as publicised (suicides etc) suddenly get attention in the aftermath of major event as statisticians et all look for correlation between say the Olympics and their impact on society. It's a bit like how every year the media reports that suicide rates increase at Christmas and New Year.

Still, hosting the Olympics must be the biggest party and cumdown possible!

Respectfully I say Like after your either collecting a pension or 6 feet under depending on your age. London 1948 to London 2012 64 years England 1966 to England 2018 possibly 42 years . Frankly the olympics returning will be longer for London then the last time simply because Four times will be hard. you will be looking at Paris , Madrid, Berlin , Rome a couple of US hostings and probably frontiers plus returns to China, Russia, Japan ,Australia if not Canada. The Territory opened up between London 1948 and London 2012 was pretty amazing. Two games in Australia with Melbourne being the first in the southern hemisphere, the first in Japan, The first in Canada, The First in Russia, The first in South Korea the First in Spain the first in Mexico the first in China with only Two real repeats between 1948 and 2012 being LA and Athens. you will see a mix of Repeats and new places probably with South America , Africa , India and the Arabian Pennisula being new.

Jim jones

ATTENTIION!

Jim Jones is trying to hijack another thread with silly cultural slurs. Everyone, just be patient with him - he is like a smelly fart that lingers for a while but which eventually will go away! :P

Back to the topic before I was rudely interrupted.......

I think part of the issue with the whole 'suicide spike' issue is that information which would not be as publicised (suicides etc) suddenly get attention in the aftermath of major event as statisticians et all look for correlation between say the Olympics and their impact on society. It's a bit like how every year the media reports that suicide rates increase at Christmas and New Year.

Still, hosting the Olympics must be the biggest party and cumdown possible!

so have you been whining to Rob lately . just checking because I am sure he loves that LOL. not out of Character considering the Whole bunch of BS about the Knife culture doc on the CBC. People in Halifax we laffing pretty hard at that one . Derailing the bid PIFF

jim jones

No where mate, everyone knows the commonwealth games in 2014 are in Glasgow. ROFL! Oh, you are hoping that some accident happens and Abuja gets them. You are a W.E.I.R.D.O.

P.S. Jim, I've been trying to help you with your grammar - Sentences always start with a capital letter. I f you want to talk to the big boys on the forum try and talk proper English (not your own made up version called illiteracy) lol.

man you are like Flys over the cycle river when I post . Attracted to pooh

Jim jones ROTFLMAO and Oaky

Oh, and those of us who didn't get out of of town and enjoyed the festival, could keep niggling those who

felt they had to "escape" the circus.

For some reason I thought locals leaving the city only happened in Athens. I guess it's probable that it was just more than usual with the Greeks.

Also I remember reading comments about how New York shouldn't win 2012 because everyone in Manhattan would leave for the Hamptons to avoid the wave of Olympic tourists over the island.

Well here is a good article which is a blog from a financial guy in London that greatly goes along my thinking in regards to the Sponsorship thing

UK Companies Will Pick up Tab for Decade of Sport

By Richard Northedge

July 30th, 2009 @ 5:53 am

Event, Britain, World Cup, Sponsorship, Banking..., Marketing Research, Financial Services, Marketing, Richard Northedge

Who is going to pay for Britain’s decade of sport? There may be national pride in hosting so many tournaments but they rely on sponsorship and that means unprecedented demands on companies for their cash and goodwill. Are marketing budgets big enough to pay for it all?

England won the bid to hold the rugby union world cup in 2015 because its promises to attract sponsorship exceeding the rival nations’, but it will be competing for corporate backing with a host of other events.

Before the first ball is kicked at Twickenham, Britain will hold the Ryder Cup golf tournament in Wales next year, the Olympics in 2012, the rugby league world cup the following year and the Commonwealth Games in 2014. Whether or not the football world cup comes to England in 2018, the country is hosting the cricket world cup the following year.

And between those major events are smaller competitions, including regular sporting fixtures from weekly football to Wimbledon, the Grand National and the boat race — all competing for the same limited pool of corporate sponsorship.

Global events attract global sponsors, of course, but British companies will be expected to punch above their weight in financing these events — if only to prevent foreign competitors muscling in on their patch. Think of the dilemma for British Airways: the national flag carrier would normally sponsor a big national event, but can it really back that decade-long catalogue of sporting competitions?

And global sponsors are tightening their belts as much as UK companies. Of the 12 main sponsors that backed the Olympics in recent years, four dropped out after Beijing. London is still looking for companies willing to pay to put their names on the 2012 games and it must be questionable whether Lloyds would have pledged its £80m if it had not agreed the deal before the banking crisis.

Yeah so much for the UK marketplace being valued with four Tops sponsors bailing in advance of London 2012

The Derby only agreed a new sponsor days before this year’s race and top football clubs have seen their sponsors hit trouble: West Ham’s travel company backer went bust while Manchester United shirts bear the name of AIG, the insurer rescued by the US government.

Sports promoters will increasingly turn to those companies that still have budgets but it is not the corporate sector’s duty to finance sporting dreams. Sponsorship is not philanthropy but a marketing tool that must deliver a return on investment. However, over the next decade that return will be harder to achieve because there will be so many competing events with rival sponsors.

The recession will be over by the time most of those tournaments start but a subdued Britain will still be paying for the bank rescues. The events may possibly achieve the boosts to the economy their promoters claim when pitching to bring them to Britain, but companies will be wary for many years to avoid what could be seen as profligate spending. With such a choice of events to support over the next decade, companies really need to develop a model for efficient sponsorship.

As a note every Summer host nation has experienced a recession the year after the staging of the games with the exception of two places Berlin 1936 and Atlanta 1996.

Hey happy hunting trying to find sponsorship in an environment of too few doors to knock on and too many salesmen knock on them along with foreclosure people.

Jim Jones

Well here is a good article which is a blog from a financial guy in London that greatly goes along my thinking in regards to the Sponsorship thing

By Richard Northedge

Event, Britain, World Cup, Sponsorship, Banking..., Marketing Research, Financial Services, Marketing, Richard Northedge

Who is going to pay for Britain’s decade of sport? There may be national pride in hosting so many tournaments but they rely on sponsorship and that means unprecedented demands on companies for their cash and goodwill. Are marketing budgets big enough to pay for it all?

England won the bid to hold the rugby union world cup in 2015 because its promises to attract sponsorship exceeding the rival nations’, but it will be competing for corporate backing with a host of other events.

Before the first ball is kicked at Twickenham, Britain will hold the Ryder Cup golf tournament in Wales next year, the Olympics in 2012, the rugby league world cup the following year and the Commonwealth Games in 2014. Whether or not the football world cup comes to England in 2018, the country is hosting the cricket world cup the following year.

And between those major events are smaller competitions, including regular sporting fixtures from weekly football to Wimbledon, the Grand National and the boat race — all competing for the same limited pool of corporate sponsorship.

Global events attract global sponsors, of course, but British companies will be expected to punch above their weight in financing these events — if only to prevent foreign competitors muscling in on their patch. Think of the dilemma for British Airways: the national flag carrier would normally sponsor a big national event, but can it really back that decade-long catalogue of sporting competitions?

And global sponsors are tightening their belts as much as UK companies. Of the 12 main sponsors that backed the Olympics in recent years, four dropped out after Beijing. London is still looking for companies willing to pay to put their names on the 2012 games and it must be questionable whether Lloyds would have pledged its £80m if it had not agreed the deal before the banking crisis.

Yeah so much for the UK marketplace being valued with four Tops sponsors bailing in advance of London 2012

The Derby only agreed a new sponsor days before this year’s race and top football clubs have seen their sponsors hit trouble: West Ham’s travel company backer went bust while Manchester United shirts bear the name of AIG, the insurer rescued by the US government.

Sports promoters will increasingly turn to those companies that still have budgets but it is not the corporate sector’s duty to finance sporting dreams. Sponsorship is not philanthropy but a marketing tool that must deliver a return on investment. However, over the next decade that return will be harder to achieve because there will be so many competing events with rival sponsors.

The recession will be over by the time most of those tournaments start but a subdued Britain will still be paying for the bank rescues. The events may possibly achieve the boosts to the economy their promoters claim when pitching to bring them to Britain, but companies will be wary for many years to avoid what could be seen as profligate spending. With such a choice of events to support over the next decade, companies really need to develop a model for efficient sponsorship.

As a note every Summer host nation has experienced a recession the year after the staging of the games with the exception of two places Berlin 1936 and Atlanta 1996.

Hey happy hunting trying to find sponsorship in an environment of too few doors to knock on and too many salesmen knock on them along with foreclosure people.

Jim Jones

It's one mans opinion. Regardless, the sporting events are going ahead.

Sorry Jim, Glasgow is not forfeiting the games to Abuja. ROFL!!! :P

And in anticipation of your ramblings I have this to say:

TALK TO THE HAND SISTA!!!

By Richard Northedge

Jim Jones

There are quite a few large UK companies that are capable of throwing money at big events: Vodafone, BP, HSBC, Glaxo Smithkline, Astra Zeneca, Shell, Aviva, Tesco and BAE to name but a few. These are all global companies that are more than capable of sponsoring large events held in the UK. Its not the British private sector that will be vulberable between now and 2018...if you want to direct your ire anywhere you would be better directing it towards the fact that any future UK government will only have magic beans and a supermarket coupon to pay for any infratrsucture works associtaed with hosting these events.

[/b]

I am not sure the 4 TOP Partners that have dropped out have much to do with London or UK not being a market place of interest:

- Johnson & Johnson had from the beginning stated that its Beijing Sponsorship was a one-time thing aimed at providing exposure to its brand in the Chinese market

- Lenovo spot has already been taken over by Acer,

- Kodak: it was only a matter of time at digital age for Kodak to drop its sponsorship (at least as official photo supplier)

- Manulife: not sure about that one

Compared to Beijing, London is therefore only missing 3 TOP partners and negociations are currently under way with at least two potential TOP partners for 2010-2012 (announcement could be made around Congress time).

It's also worth mentionning that, to date, London has raised a record amount of money through it's domestic partners programme.

Of course only time will tell but it seems so far London is doing more than OK on the marketing issue.

But we won't know for sure until 2013 where we will have the final figures of London 2012.

It's one mans opinion. Regardless, the sporting events are going ahead.

Sorry Jim, Glasgow is not forfeiting the games to Abuja. ROFL!!! :P

And in anticipation of your ramblings I have this to say:

TALK TO THE HAND SISTA!!!

no actually we don't want a forfiet of the Commonwealth Games from Glasgow 2014 OH no no no . WE actually want you to stage them in an Environment that you will be starved of badly needed Sponsorship and Government funding so We can come along later and show how it is to be done as opposed to if being muffed in the UK LOL. If any of the four or Five so called golden decade of sports festivals is to suffer the most it will indeed be the Commonwealth Games . Some choices for the Scottish are closing schools or stage the commonwealth games like they did in 1986 .m

Jim Jones

I am not sure the 4 TOP Partners that have dropped out have much to do with London or UK not being a market place of interest:

- Johnson & Johnson had from the beginning stated that its Beijing Sponsorship was a one-time thing aimed at providing exposure to its brand in the Chinese market

- Lenovo spot has already been taken over by Acer,

- Kodak: it was only a matter of time at digital age for Kodak to drop its sponsorship (at least as official photo supplier)

Compared to Beijing, London is therefore only missing 3 TOP partners and negociations are currently under way with at least two potential TOP partners for 2010-2012 (announcement could be made around Congress time).

It's also worth mentionning that, to date, London has raised a record amount of money through it's domestic partners programme.

Of course only time will tell but it seems so far London is doing more than OK on the marketing issue.

But we won't know for sure until 2013 where we will have the final figures of London 2012.

There is no doubt a rallying cry would be around the Olympics for domestic businesses but again how much good will can one buy if you were to sponsor everything that was staged ?

The KEY for Glasgow 2014 and England 2015 will be if England 2018 becomes a reality. If it does then Glasgow will be hit the hardest as there is no global appeal to those games . Rugby is a little bit better but neither could begin to compete with a WC Final in England and that will be a huge wedge along with the London 2012 games . Marketing directors would be saying 'look we sponsored the Olympics at this level and we intend on doing the same for the World Cup so how little can we get away with because the two events cover us on the front and back halves of the 2010's and we don't need any more marketing after those two events or in between ' IF it is 2022 for a World Cup then 2014 and 2015 will fair much better.

All Tops sponsors in regards to Beijing that have left right after would see a marketplace in the Uk with little growth potential really. Beijing would be the California gold rush in the mid 1800s London would be the Welsh coal mines in the 1980s.

Lenovo is as much a Chinese company supporting its games.

Kodak well they certainly sell digital cameras in North America along with memory media. They are the longest duration of the top sponsors to drop out and that has been since Seoul 1988. Their involvment came with LA 84 being turned down by kodak for exclusive film for the Olympics at a mere 10 million . Kodak said we have over 90 percent of the market. Unknown Fiji Film at the time jumped at the sponsorship and established themselves in America take 10 percent out of Kodaks share . Kodak then signed on for multiple games.

Jim jones

There are quite a few large UK companies that are capable of throwing money at big events: Vodafone, BP, HSBC, Glaxo Smithkline, Astra Zeneca, Shell, Aviva, Tesco and BAE to name but a few. These are all global companies that are more than capable of sponsoring large events held in the UK. Its not the British private sector that will be vulberable between now and 2018...if you want to direct your ire anywhere you would be better directing it towards the fact that any future UK government will only have magic beans and a supermarket coupon to pay for any infratrsucture works associtaed with hosting these events.

so what type of goodwill does Vodafone, Shell and HSBC get for their huge investments into Formula one while sponsoring lets say the World Cup in 2018 the Commonwealth Games in glasgow and the World Rugby Cup? you have companies their that take a more pragmatic approach really . Vodafone had naming rights to the Arena the Melbourne Commonwealth Games staged Gymnastics in . their signs were taken off because Telstra a Aussie Telcom was a games sponsor. right After the Games the Signs go back on the Arena , Formula one rolls into town for the Australia grand prix complete with Vodafone sponsorship and Vodafone basically pays the Commonwealth Games no attention . They get the daily marketing exposure with the Arena and the Yearly exposure with formula in multiple markets world wide. Again the pot is only so big and companies look to bang for buck whether it is the UK . US Australia or Canada.

Jim jones

You're making this too black and white, as you always so tediously do. London is the financial capital of Europe despite everything that's happened in the last year, so it's not quite in the welsh coal mines territory yet. It's certainly getting more competition from emerging economies, but it's also getting business from these economies. It's still the place where Middle Eastern and Chinese companies come to invest and base their HQs and the amount of foreign money coming in and out of London is greater than in any other city in the world having surpassed NYC some years ago. The credit crunch may have stalled that momentum but London is a city undoubtedly on the up and has been for at least a decade having caught the wave of globalisation at the right time.

John Hancock were a long time sponsor and Manulife took over John Hancock. Guess the manulife guys had a different view on Olympic sponsorship.

Lenovo were kind of similar to Johnson and Johnson doing it for Beijing. Not suprising to lose a couple of TOP sponsors given that the previous games was in China!

I also think Beijing had more TOP sponsors than anybody else had ever had (although I may be wrong)

no actually we don't want a forfiet of the Commonwealth Games from Glasgow 2014 OH no no no . WE actually want you to stage them in an Environment that you will be starved of badly needed Sponsorship and Government funding so We can come along later and show how it is to be done as opposed to if being muffed in the UK LOL. If any of the four or Five so called golden decade of sports festivals is to suffer the most it will indeed be the Commonwealth Games . Some choices for the Scottish are closing schools or stage the commonwealth games like they did in 1986 .m

Jim Jones

jimlvsbritainimage2479.png

Archived