Rome 2016?

Italy has announced plans to bid for the 2016 Olympic Games, with either Rome or Milan as the candidate city.  Italian Olympic committee president Gianni Petrucci said a decision on which city would represent the country would be taken in either June or July.

Kinda foolish.  2016 ain't going to Europe.  So, it's an ill-adivsed move.

It's not impossible, but I agree it's very very very unlikely to return to Europe again so soon - surely the Italians would know this?  Perhaps they have aspirations for 2020 (although the success of repeat bidders is debatable), or perhaps after the 2012 campaign just being a finalist in a competition to be host of the Summer Olympics is an ego trip for any host city.  Both the IOC and Copenhagen must be overjoyed to already have Tokyo and Rome/Milan, I bet they can't wait to hear from the USOC in the next few months - it's going to be another top-notch city battle!

So now we have both Japan and Italy entering the fray for 2016.And if Sochi and Jaca fail to be shortlisted for 2014,may we expect Russia to follow with another bid for Moscow and Spain for Madrid?

So,as things stand,my current prediction for the line-up for 2016 is:

Tokyo,Japan (highly probable)

Rome,Italy (highly probable)

New York,USA (probable)

Moscow,Russia (quite possible)

Madrid,Spain (quite possible)

A South American city (Rio or BA,possible)

Tokyo,Japan (highly probable)

Rome,Italy (highly probable)

New York,USA (probable)

Moscow,Russia (quite possible)

Madrid,Spain (quite possible)

A South American city (Rio or BA,possible)

Oh boy, it certainly looks like an old fascist-commie conspiracy there (Rome, Tokyo, Madrid, Moscow -- calling Berlin) and their sympathizers (Buenos Aires) and one for the good old USA sticking up for democracy!!  This is going to be a fight for the ages.

Now we know for sure that Italy will bid for 2016:

http://www.gamesbids.com/cgi-bin....3647567

Thanks for making us all aware of that news!  :)

I believe that the Italian NOC should select Milan as their candidate for 2016.

Because of both Torino 2006 and London 2012 an Italian Olympic bid is unlikely to be successful.  Perhaps if the Italians use Milan as their "Manchester" to do much of the groundwork for them so that Rome could then possibly benefit from the "we really want the Olympics.....we have bid for them before" statement in a subsequent campaign, while leaving Rome untarnished by an IOC rebuff.  

The Italian NOC is unlikely to need to forge any contemporary contacts, they already exist through their experiences with Torino - so the 2016 campaign will soley be for the purpose of presenting a plausible bid to the IOC in order to gain credibility for a future Olympic bid.

Now we know for sure that Italy will bid for 2016:

http://www.gamesbids.com/cgi-bin....3647567

Thanks for making us all aware of that news!  :)

I believe that the Italian NOC should select Milan as their candidate for 2016.

Because of both Torino 2006 and London 2012 an Italian Olympic bid is unlikely to be successful.  Perhaps if the Italians use Milan as their "Manchester" to do much of the groundwork for them so that Rome could then possibly benefit from the "we really want the Olympics.....we have bid for them before" statement in a subsequent campaign, while leaving Rome untarnished by an IOC rebuff.  

The Italian NOC is unlikely to need to forge any contemporary contacts, they already exist through their experiences with Torino - so the 2016 campaign will soley be for the purpose of presenting a plausible bid to the IOC in order to gain credibility for a future Olympic bid.

Milan half-heartedly tried for the '08 Games but that never went anywhere.  At least Rome was a runner-up to Athens in 1997.  Still, it's puzzling that this bid will take off considering the funding woes that beset Torino.  The Italians must've hired the Istanbul advisers.

This has got to be with one eye towards the 2020 carve-up which is going to be wide open. I know the possibility of another European Games, to clear Europe out for several Games, has been mentioned before, but surely it is very unlikely.

Archived