Accomodation

BTW, Former-Meridien also former-Iberostar will be called Windsor Atlantico and will be reopened in 2010.

It's the biggest icon in Copacabana beach.

I hope you are talking about its size, cause there's no way Meridien/Iberostar/Windsor is a more of an icon than Copacabana Palace. Heck, I think Hotel Glória is more of an icon than Meridien is. The only thing well-know about that place, other than its size, it's the fireworks waterfall that used to take place there on New Year's Eve.

Sure, about heights... Copacabana Palace is the icon of Copacabana Beach... Windsor/Meridien is the icon about size. Agreed. Both are the symbols of the Atlantic Avenue, no doubts.

Sure, about heights... Copacabana Palace is the icon of Copacabana Beach... Windsor/Meridien is the icon about size. Agreed. Both are the symbols of the Atlantic Avenue, no doubts.
So true. I saw the Meridien fireworks live once. It was simply stunning. It was on the one and only time I spent New Year's Eve on Copacabana. I think it was the last time the City Hall allowed the fireworks on the hotel front.

• 5 months later...

With Rio's large tourism base one would have expected that its hotel room count far exceeds that of Cape Town.

Any reason for this. In fact I think Cape Town's room count specifically in hotels is slightly higher.

Are there large university residences available?

Currently some of the most traditional hotels are closed, but they should be reopened soon. So, the number presented to the IOC did not include those hotels.

1. Hotel Nacional

This hotel went bankrupt in the 90's and is a famous tower in São Conrado (project by Oscar Niermeyer). Due to issues with the bankruptcy combined with fights within the family who owned it, the hotel was never sold. However, it has been recently been sold in an auction and should be restored and opened in the followng two years.

2. Hotel Glória

In the early 20th century, Glória rivaled Copacabana Palace as the most luxurious hotel in Rio. However, the building of the Flamengo Park - a landfill that moved the beach about 1km away from it and the degradation of the surroundings has ruined it. It has been bought by Eike Batista (8th richest in the world) and is being restored to its original appearance and will become the most luxurious hotel in Rio. Eike also has the concession to run Marina da Glóra (sailing venue), which lies in front of the hotel.

3. Forer Hotel Méridien

Formerly a part of the Air France owned group, it was sold to the Spanish Iberostar chain, which sold it to Windsor after it was badly hit by the financial crisis. It should be opened pretty soon.

great news about hotels have been announced in Rio...

The huge problem about Rio is that Rio is, blame the nature, far from Europe and North America, so it's hard to convince people to invest in a destination with a low number of foreign tourists (but yet the biggest destination in Southern Hemisphere by foreign tourists numbers)...

But Olympic and World Cup seems to change that.

A new Hotel Gloria (now Gloria Palace), expected to be the first 6-star in Latin America.

A new Meridien, now Windsor.

National Hotel Tower in Sao Conrado will be reopened in 2012 (for the great flooding predicted in the 2012 movie LOL)

Sheraton will be refurbished...

And big network of hotels already made plans for Rio...

I think this problem (about future building) is the less-risky about Rio 2016 preparations.

• 2 months later...

I think DannyBrasil implied that the Sheraton may get a refurbishment before the Olympics. He didn't specify the source of the information.

...just read a bunch of reviews....sounded a bit sketchy. Probably needs the reno pretty bad. Awesome location on the little semi private beach at end of ipanema.

• 2 weeks later...

...just read a bunch of reviews....sounded a bit sketchy. Probably needs the reno pretty bad. Awesome location on the little semi private beach at end of ipanema.

I've never been there as a guest, but seems to be a good hotel. As all hotels in the city, they need rufurbshment since people from all over will come to Rio.

I read once that all hotels in Rio were planing, at least, minimum refubshment...

Sheraton is a little bit hard choice due transportation. There are not good options if you are not renting a car.

Ipanema and Copacabana are better choices if you want to explore the city by bus or public transportation.

=]

• 5 weeks later...

Can this thread be moved to the Rio 2016 main forum or should a new thread be started on the Rio 2016 accommodation issue?

Good idea, let's tell it to GB Moderator! =]

Is there a 10-star hotel? I will only stay in a 10-star hotel!! cool.gif

I think you will not stay in a hotel anymore in your life!!! tongue.gif

But, if you a mercy person, Hotel Gloria, in front of Flamengo Park, which is already in refurbshment is expected to be the first 6-star in Latin America. =]

• 1 month later...

Archived