Royalty Vs. Obama

The so-called Obama effect has also been extended to the 2016 race, with many Americans defending that the solely presence of Mr. Obama in Copenhagen will be more than enough to make Chicago win. It does make sense.

Nevertheless, there is also King Juan Carlos & Queen Sofia travelling to Copenhagen backing Madrid, and also maybe Naruhito & Masako backing Tokyo. Reading the IOC voters list I can see at least three or four royals between them.

Does the Royals have an special influence within that endogamic structure of the IOC? And, by the way, do you know if there's any IOC member inside the Bilderberg Club?

Obama's visit will have an impact for sure.

But in anycase Royalty will have. Their visit would not be something special or unique... IOC members are used to royalty since a century !!!

Obama's cool, good looking, the world's current number one political pin-up boy and Hot, Hot, Hot!

Most of the royals are getting on in years these days.

Put it this way - if Obama visited Oz right now, it would be mega-news. If any Euro Royal did, not many would notice and they wouldn't get anything near the same coverage. Even our own Good Queen Beth would struggle to get attention amid the glare that would come from a Mr Superstar President visit.

That said, I really do think the IOC are gonna be a bit leery of attracting accusations this time that they're prone to being swayed by political and royal celebs after the last two voting sessions.

The contrast between a President George Bush, for whom turning up at the IOC session would really have killed off NYC's bid, and a President Obama, who is probably even more liked amongst Europeans than he is in his own country, is stark. The Spanish Royals turned up four years ago and didn't have the same effect as Tony Blair; who was at that point a weakened leader in Britain, disliked in Europe but still brilliant at working a room and persauding people his case. Obama has all that but is liked and is the leader of a much more powerful country. The Spansih royals are working against a geopolitical tide and one of the few politicians better at out Blair-ing Blair, Barrack Obama.

Obama's cool, good looking, the world's current number one political pin-up boy and Hot, Hot, Hot!

Most of the royals are getting on in years these days.

Put it this way - if Obama visited Oz right now, it would be mega-news. If any Euro Royal did, not many would notice and they wouldn't get anything near the same coverage. Even our own Good Queen Beth would struggle to get attention amid the glare that would come from a Mr Superstar President visit.

That said, I really do think the IOC are gonna be a bit leery of attracting accusations this time that they're prone to being swayed by political and royal celebs after the last two voting sessions.

Yes, Obama is a Superstar... but basicaly he is a PRESIDENT... he has a real econolical and managing power ! Royalties have nothing ....

Back 4 years earlier... image the Queen instead of Tony Blair to support London 2012 bid in singapour .... we would organize the games in Paris (or madrid ;) but not because of their King & Queen but because of all Paris' opponents) in 3 years !!!

And what about the links within the IOC royals? Any remarkable influence or not?

I really don't think Royalty's a big deal for them (the IOC) any more. They're used to it, and each other. If anything, the Royal members will likely strive that litle bit harder to appear responsible and impartial.

And what about the links within the IOC royals? Any remarkable influence or not?

Yeah, how many -- 4 of them? The Infanta cannot vote until Madrid is eliminated. Prince Albert's mother was American...so he may actually be a Chicago supporter. Who're left? Princesses Anne and Nora of Leichtenstein.

As the others have said, being Royal in the IOC is nothing new to the more veteran members. If anything, if they have their heads screwed on right, they should be MORE impressed with a brilliant, self-made man...not one to the manor born.

If anything, if they have their heads screwed on right, they should be MORE impressed with a brilliant, self-made man...not one to the manor born.

Talking about which, no one has mentioned Brazilian president Luiz Da Silva.

He seems to be very respected worldwide, do you think he can be a card to be played?

Yeah, how many -- 4 of them? The Infanta cannot vote until Madrid is eliminated. Prince Albert's mother was American...so he may actually be a Chicago supporter. Who're left? Princesses Anne and Nora of Leichtenstein.

As the others have said, being Royal in the IOC is nothing new to the more veteran members. If anything, if they have their heads screwed on right, they should be MORE impressed with a brilliant, self-made man...not one to the manor born.

If I'm not wrong, there are also the Prince of Orange and the Great Duke of Luxembourg, but I'm not sure if they vote.

Talking about which, no one has mentioned Brazilian president Luiz Da Silva.

He seems to be very respected worldwide, do you think he can be a card to be played?

Sure, but he often says things that could jeopardize Rio's bid, but at least he usually speaks his mind. After Hugo Chavz, Lula is the most known S. American president (at least in the Western world).

I am of the vain that too much stock should not be put into Obama. Chicago's bid is the best ever an American city has put forth. Sure, it may not be technically better than Madrid or Tokyo, but it is strong on its own merits, and I believe these recent hick-ups will be under wraps by the time of the vote. Chi 2016 needs to really get some momentum come late August and all of September.

Archived