Rio Is Officially The 2016 Favourite

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The underdog is now the favourite. I didn't want that two-main-stadium city to be the favourite. Just because a city is the favourite doesn't mean they can win the Olympic Bid. In the 2012 bid, Paris was the favourite, but they lost out to London.

I take little stock into people pronouncing Rio 2016 the Favorite even thou they are my personal favorite. The positives have been batted around for a couple of years but Rio plays with a double edged sword with their forthright budget estimate. I think it is whether the IOC membership will actually vote for a Bid that is at least truthful and realistic in the estimated costs or not . London 2012 and Athens 2004 have provided enough doubt in many peoples minds to estimates in the sub 10 billion dollars range.

I can't recall any bid committee ever saying what Rio 2016 is saying and that can go two ways . A refreshing change and no drone of how costs are escalating or the IOC again buries their heads in the sand and collectively pray for BAD news stories of the capital works cost out of control for an upcoming Summer Olympics actually ending with the closing Ceremonies of London 2012 .

I would hope the IOC goes for the former picking RIO for the honest approach not only to the outside world and their membership but to their won citizens who have not been soft pedaled on the costs like 90 plus percent of all sports festival bid committees do.

Jim Jones

As a potential tourist for those 2016 Games ;

Rio is my first choice knowing the prices for tickets will be less expensive than other candidates city.

BUT, I'm very afraid about the security.

I feeled very safe last year in Beijing walking late the night on the street with my Canon 5D around my neck.

I'm not sure if I will try to do the same in Rio.

Rio is my first choice knowing the prices for tickets will be less expensive than other candidates city.

I feeled very safe last year in Beijing walking late the night on the street with my Canon 5D around my neck.

A canon 5D would be like a huge diamond necklace to their eyes...

btw i got a canon t1i , my fav till now small and does everyhting..

Don't be affraid about security in Rio. Just don't look a rich and lost tourist. Even in Paris, where my grandparents were robbed some years ago. (Without a nic photo camera in hands, but they looked like tourists).

You can go to Rio with your camera but put it in some bag. =]

Don't be affraid about security in Rio. Just don't look a rich and lost tourist.

You can go to Rio with your camera but put it in some bag. =]

This is truth! Most people think this is a joke but we brazilians can see a foreign tourist very easy. How? The flowers (hawaiian) shirt and the Panama hats! I would like to know (mainly from our friends in US) if there is a dress code to visit tropical destinations? LOL ;)

To walk safe on the street late at night with you camera around the neck... just travel only in some dictatorial states without democracy where burglars are sure to be sentenced to death immediately if they are caught !!!

More seriously, I will not walk like that at night in Chicago, Madrid, Tokyo or even London & Paris.... So for sure not in Rio also.

I had the opportunity to travel a few times in Rio during the last months and I never feel more unsafe that when I am travelling in the subway in Roma or in some suburbs of Paris !

So don't be afraid to come in Rio, just be as much careful than in any other country where you travel as tourist... :rolleyes:

The safety in the Rio 2007 Pan American Games was note 10. All events are safe in Rio, always.

Don't be too much excessive ! I am a pro Rio 2016, but i will not give them 10 (as all around the world bidding cities) for the general city's security, even at games times.

Where we could give 10 (and this for all organizers) is THE SECURITY of the Games. I mean, security inside and around the venues. Nowadays, with all the technology, all the security forces (public and private) you have almost no risk during the games around venues (villages, stadiums, arenas, hotels, IBC, MPC, ...)

Don't be too much excessive ! I am a pro Rio 2016, but i will not give them 10 (as all around the world bidding cities) for the general city's security, even at games times.

Where we could give 10 (and this for all organizers) is THE SECURITY of the Games. I mean, security inside and around the venues. Nowadays, with all the technology, all the security forces (public and private) you have almost no risk during the games around venues (villages, stadiums, arenas, hotels, IBC, MPC, ...)

I repeat, the security of the Pan American Games was note 10. :)

And more: The ECO 92 conference with countries worldwide was safe, the sporting events in the city are safe too. This is also a reality, the success of the security in the events in Rio.

It is no exaggeration, is the reality.

Apparently you did not understand what I wrote !

You have to be accurate... just saying "security was 10" means nothing if you do not specify the scope....

Security is 10 in the "games perimeter"... and that something that will always been now for Olympic Games... wherever they would be organized.

But you could not say that security was 10 at the time of the Panam Games in all the Rio's areas... As everyday there was crimes, robberies.... in some Rio's areas... but as i already said as everywhere in the world ! Go at this time in some police stations in Paris, NYC, Moscow, Chicago, Madrid & Tokyo ... and you will find some citizen and tourists complaining about that type of unexpected and sad events....

You have to be accurate... just saying "security was 10" means nothing if you do not specify the scope....

Security is 10 in the "games perimeter"... and that something that will always been now for Olympic Games... wherever they would be organized.

But you could not say that security was 10 at the time of the Panam Games in all the Rio's areas... As everyday there was crimes, robberies.... in some Rio's areas... but as i already said as everywhere in the world ! Go at this time in some police stations in Paris, NYC, Moscow, Chicago, Madrid & Tokyo ... and you will find some citizen and tourists complaining about that type of unexpected and sad events....

Friend, the security of the whole city was very good in the Rio 2007.

The safety of Rio, of athletes, tourists... from all areas of the city. Many deaths in the city are criminals killed by police.

And thanks for your support for Rio 2016.

And sorry for my english.

Memorabilia, it seemed that during PanAms, all rates of crime reached lowest numbers ever, making Rio de Janeiro some Zurich, as O Globo reported at that time.

But I would give Rio a grade B in security. The issue in Brazil is that people loves to see and broadcast violence in TV making security become a bigger problem than it really is.

Do you know Buenos Aires have 50% of its habitants living in shantytowns? No. Argentine people as the entire world doesn't like to show it's misery.. But in Brazil, show poverty in TV is culture...

Just like that.

I would contend that the 2016 race so far is favourite-LESS. Every bid seems to have a lack of huge glaring negative points in planning, and it's just a matter of convenience and political mood. Tokyo and Madrid have fizzled in mood a bit, but that can turn around very quickly.

I don't really question Brazil's ability to have security, I question whether a city with so many living in crime ridden impoverished shantytowns should put on a performance for the world.

I actually believe Rio will beat Chicago (depending on the Evaluation report), but I don't think right now is the time yet. I think 2028 and beyond would be better for them, and the Games in general.

I don't really question Brazil's ability to have security, I question whether a city with so many living in crime ridden impoverished shantytowns should put on a performance for the world.

I actually believe Rio will beat Chicago (depending on the Evaluation report), but I don't think right now is the time yet. I think 2028 and beyond would be better for them, and the Games in general.

Based in your not-accurate commentary, I can say I think Chicago should never host... C'mon, Soarin...

What wasn't accurate about that? Have all the shanty towns dissapeared?

The poor places in Beijing, disappeared?

Well, we have a program of accelerated growth of the government. The shanty towns are in reform, is on pacification...

Arrives of freshness, it's time of Brazil.

What wasn't accurate about that? Have all the shanty towns dissapeared?

No, of course not...

But, it seems that entire Rio de Janeiro is made by shantytowns...

Less than 15% of Rio people lives in shantytowns (by 2007)...

And sometimes it seems that above Equator line there are only murderers and poor people...

About murder rate in Rio, the 2008 number are the lowest in the last 17 years: 35 for each 1,000 people.

http://oglobo.globo.com/rio/mat/2009/03/18...e-754896804.asp

Otherwise, Chicago rates increased up to 17% in 2008

http://chicagoist.com/2008/08/07/chicagos_murder_rate_up.php

Things have been fixed in Rio... and in Chicago?

2008 NUMBERS:

Rio de Janeiro 6,9 million inhabitants: 4,700 murderers...

Chicago 2,8 million inhabitants: 1,150 murderers...

No doubt about it: Rio has more problems with murders than Chicago, but Chicago is not the safest place on Earth, uh?

Show me your sources -

508 murders in Chicago for 2008. That is not acceptable, but far below your figure.

http://archives.chicagotribune.com/2009/ja...chicago_02jan02

The murder rate in the city went drastically down between 2001-2007, so an 15% increase while bad, is still well below levels seen in the 1970's.

Chicago has issues, like any big city, but Rio's favelas do not compare at any level...

Also depends on where these take place.

The only reason Cape Town has a tourism industry is due to the fact that high crime rates are concentrated in crappy neighbourhoods outside the central city and most suburbs.

Some of our townships have more murders per year than Chicago as a whole. Not proud of it but crime levels are always relative.

Archived