Rio Is Officially The 2016 Favourite

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The bookies still have Chicago as strong favourite although they are drifting away with one of them:

http://www.oddschecker.com/specials/olympi...16-olympic-host

October is a long time to keep this momentum until, and a long time to keep banging home the same message about beautiful scenerey and a first South American host. I agree that theirs is the bid on the up, but have they peaked too early? Time will tell...

The bookies still have Chicago as strong favourite although they are drifting away with one of them:

http://www.oddschecker.com/specials/olympi...16-olympic-host

October is a long time to keep this momentum until, and a long time to keep banging home the same message about beautiful scenerey and a first South American host. I agree that theirs is the bid on the up, but have they peaked too early? Time will tell...

so where will the Asian Vote go when Tokyo falls in the first or second round ? They may feel that selling TVs and Electronics in Brazil with an expanding economy might be a better idea then to try to milk a full mature market place in the Midwestern US.

Peaking way too early may be what Chicago 2016 has done. The Negative stories could out of that city for the bid are hurting the Bid I am sure. When the Mayor has to meet with the citizens to try to prop up support at this stage while anti games groups are gaining allies with some clout.

Jim Jones

Yes, but those clouds may have dissapeared by October for Chicago. And Rio's message may have been overworked. And African IOC members may think Rio won't be in their best interests. And Obama might swing a few votes. Who knows? Any scenario is possible in this race, including yours. This is even closer than 2012, in that any of the finalists could win it. I don't think Rio is a clear favourite although I'd agree they have their noses ahead. Much can change.

I know you do and for now they are. That venue video is how you win bids.

Copacabana ...ipanema...barra...deodoro...so exotic...samba fun...I bet you can find 50 IOC members who would rather head to Rio than most cities in the world including Cape Town.

Yes, but those clouds may have dissapeared by October for Chicago. And Rio's message may have been overworked. And African IOC members may think Rio won't be in their best interests. And Obama might swing a few votes. Who knows? Any scenario is possible in this race, including yours. This is even closer than 2012, in that any of the finalists could win it. I don't think Rio is a clear favourite although I'd agree they have their noses ahead. Much can change.

Well certainly Rio is not a clear with distance favorite as this is too close . Now if this 2016 contest did not have Chicago or a US city the case probably would have Rio as an overwhelming favorite.

Looking to past bid history is it time for America to actually win its second bid election for the summer games or Rio and by extension South America to win its first.

Jim Jones

Honestly, I don't expect Rio's bid to lose steam. The "new frontier" angle is not going to go stale. It is so consistent with the Olympic philosophy. Plus, the setting is spectacular, the bid offers the clearest contrast to Vancouver, London and Sochi, and that masterful venue video goes a long way towards mitigating one of their biggest weaknesses. I am pro-Chicago, but as of now Rio is definitely the favorite. I will certainly be happy for them if they win (I might even go to the Games). However, the vote is 2 months away.

When are the evaluation reports due to be released?

It's breaking my usual rules, but I'd almost say that provided Rio gets a reasonable upbeat report, with nothing too negative vis-a-vis the rest, they could have it sealed.

I reckon they should start easing off the "South America Has Never Had It" theme - c'mon, there can't be any IOC members who aren't all too aware of that (and the reasons why that is so). Pushing it too hard runs a risk of backfiring. Now's the time to start really running more on what Rio can offer the Youth of the World. Concentrate on positives, rather than continuously pushing the negative of "it's our turn - you've never given it to our part of the world before".

Like 7 Sept. Barely a month for the IOC'ers to read it...much less schlep the whole hard-copy lot to Copenhagen to have as a reference.

They should have it handy for like 2 months before.

They won't read it, or at least most of them won't. The secret to reading these big reports is to skim the introduction and conclusions - and then come here to see how the likes of us pick them apart.

I think Rio can still hold onto the "new frontier" angle without saying "it's our turn." I agree that they shouldn't milk the point, but they can continue to touch on it. The thrust should be something like this: "The IOC has an opportunity to consider an extremely solid, competitive bid from South America. This time, we are legitimate contenders. Because of the excellence of our proposal the IOC can embrace a new frontier without reservation or concern. We are offering you an exciting opportunity to make history in the the Olympic Movement."

I think Rio can still hold onto the "new frontier" angle without saying "it's our turn." I agree that they shouldn't milk the point, but they can continue to touch on it. The thrust should be something like this: "The IOC has an opportunity to consider an extremely solid, competitive bid from South America. This time, we are legitimate contenders. Because of the excellence of our proposal the IOC can embrace a new frontier without reservation or concern. We are offering you an exciting opportunity to make history in the the Olympic Movement."

Excellent point, Athensfans. This is exactly what I think Rio's doing step-by-step. They have spread first the "never in South America" message everywhere, then steal reasonably to Madrid the latin essence and finally a strong effort in showing the technical strengths of the bid. They just need to keep the momentun untouched two more months and they will reach Copenhagen with the most of the voters on their side. If London was awarded in spite of the almost-perfect Paris and Madrid bids, then Rio can get it to...

Moreover, I just wanted to focus Mo Rush's funny scenario of a Madrid winning in the middle of a bloody American battle and I say it's not that impossible... You all know I am a big Madrid supporter but, realistically, the bid has had almost no chance during the whole race. Nevertheless, I see them now as the real dark horse, as it has gaining momentum as well during last months with Tokyo disappearing dramatically and Chicago having little concerns which have turned the bid into a more unstable one... Let's just not have any surprise if Madrid finally wins. All is possible in Granada... :)

When are the evaluation reports due to be released?

September the 2nd, one month (day for day) before the vote...

This report is already ready since the begining of June (Evaluation Commission Meeting in Lausanne) !!!! But exept them... no one knows !!!!!!!! :huh:

Like 7 Sept. Barely a month for the IOC'ers to read it...much less schlep the whole hard-copy lot to Copenhagen to have as a reference.

They should have it handy for like 2 months before.

2 monthes or 1 month... what doesn't matter !!!! Most of them would not read it.... and if you want to read it from first page to last one, it will take you 2 hours... not one month !!!!

well, people still forget

Rio's biggest liability -- hosting the World Cup 2 years before 2016;

Yes, but this is diminishing very quickly and is fast becoming an asset. Major infrastructure for the 2014 world cup will complete because

1. They have a bottomless fund of money, or at least they think so

AND

2. Football means so much that they'll work day and night if they have to

AND

3. 2016 works would run in parallel with 2014 works.

Now, being in a world cup host city, one of the best EVER, I know that world cup works don't imply any sort of readiness for the Olympic Games BUT the potential for Rio if these projects run seamlessly together is massive!!

I don't doubt that its a challenge, a REAL challenge and that revenues will be stretched but the Rio Games will be government games with no money issues. The actual Games will just be one big party and hosting the World Cup 2 years before 2016 means they will have plenty of time to test the operational readiness of transport.

Its all about selling your city..samba samba samba and party like its Barcelona 1992.

I agree that Rio can spin the World Cup as an asset rather than a liability. It will be very interesting to see what the Evaluation Report has to say about it. I think in this area the Evaluation Report will be a key indicator of the IOC's attitude. I suspect they will choose to see it in a positive light....

Olympic-level facilities, extensive experience in events and one of the most beautiful scenery in the world.

461606141_32f39d27f1_b-1.jpg

Is not attractive for 2016?

For me, yes.

All at least Two events coming in 2011 and 2014 that will be great prep for volunteer recruitment and training. The 2011 World Military Games which no doubt have shooting events and the 2014 Fifa World Cup. I am sure Rio host more World Championships between now and a 2016 Olympics.

Jim jones

461606141_32f39d27f1_b-1.jpg

Indy Racing League (IRL) are near to choose Rio again to host a Brazilian GP.

The Rio Grand Prix would be placed in this scenery, in Flamengo Park, in front of Sugar Loaf Montain.

Acording to the media, the race in Rio is planned for March 2010.

Ribeirao Preto, a medium city in Sao Paulo state, is a stronger bidder too.

There is also a remote possibility of two races in Brazil.

Archived