Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Soaring

Where Would The Ioc Be Without American Tv Rights?

Well

1948 - there was no choice but London

1952 - Helsinki over LA, the much beloved Minneapolis, Detroit, Chicago, and Philadelphia. I mean over LA, little questionable but than again those Euros might not have wanted to travel too much

1956 - Melbourne over Chicago, Detroit, LA, Minneapolis, Philadelphia and San Francisco, can't complain much....

1960 - Rome over Detroit pretty obvious choice, Rome or Detroit, Rome or Detroit.....pretty easy

1964 - Tokyo over Detroit pretty obvious again, Tokyo or Detroit not a hard choice

1968 - Mexico City over Detroit, a little bit more suspect but still a capital city or an industry city

1972 - Munich over Detroit with Madrid and Montreal the race, obvious last place finisher

1976 - they finally try to step up with LA but Montreal won out over Moscow, pretty much a compromise candidate

1980 - Moscow over LA, they had to go to Russia some time

1084 - we all know what happened.

So you can't really complain that the IOC wasn't kind to the US, in 1960 they can a WOG and in 1980 they got another.

My god it takes 64 years into the modern games for the US to win a bid ? This is despite that fact that LA and Lake Placid saved the games in 1932 four years after the longest olympic sponsor started putting money into the games mainly America Softdrink giant Coca Cola . What is worst then that is the US saved the Games again in 1980 and 1984 with Lake Placid and Los Angeles once again while Peter U wrote the book on the way forward for the Olympics to climb out of the huge hole they were in that left them on deaths doorstep.

Jim jones

People in the UK are they INSANE

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/aug/09/m...ics-2012-london

Row over Olympic deal for McDonald's

UK food companies protest as burger giant set to become the exclusive 'meal brand' for 2012

* Rajeev Syal

* The Observer, Sunday 9 August 2009

McDonald's, the US burger giant, is set to become the only branded restaurant at Britain's Olympic venues, prompting fury from restaurateurs and environmentalists who say that food on offer should reflect regional foods and London's ethnic mix. Who says it does not reflex the ethic mix of London . The Ethic Mix of the UK apparently does not understand that Exclusive Deals can be made with the IOC for Multi Olympiads which McDonalds has done since 1984

The company is in talks with the Olympic authorities to ensure that its golden arches are the exclusive recognisable "meal brand" at the 2012 London games, insiders have said. Other food chains, including British and Indian outlets, have been told they will not be able to sell their wares on a number of Olympic sites without removing labels or changing packaging. Critics claim that McDonald's does not reflect either British values or the multicultural area of Stratford, east London, where the Olympic Park is being built. Surpize Surprize if you don't contribute to the games over time what makes you think McDonald's is doing this out of the goodness of their corporate hearts , He who buys sponsorship rights is not doing it so Mom and Pop UK fish and chip outlet can take sales away on Olympic Property during the games

Jenny Jones, a London councillor and former head of the strategy group London Food, said: "It's outrageous that McDonald's will be the enduring image of food at this magnificent showcase for London. There are a huge number of British companies who would benefit from being able to openly sell healthier, better produced, locally-sourced food."

Well Jenny (no relation to me) McDonalds sources locally I am sure and besides the Olympics would probably only have come to London, Athens or Barcelona not because Burger King paid for the LA 84 Aqautics Centre with the olympics at the brink McDonalds did that

Iqbal Wahaab, a government adviser on race and employment and founder of the British restaurant chain Roast, said that the food at the 2012 Olympics was at risk of failing to live up to its billing as a showcase for London and its multicultural values. "We are supposed to be properly representing London and its ethnic diversity," he said.

Man oh Man you put up 100s of millions of dollar each olympics and then you can sell anything you want

McDonald's is one of the main sponsors of the 2012 Olympic Games after striking a multibillion-pound deal with the International Olympic Committee. The decision on whether the company will be the only food outlet to advertise its wares with signs or packaging is currently under discussion with Olympic officials. The Observer has been told that it is a "done deal" while Coca-Cola has exclusive rights to selling non-alcoholic drinks, including tea and coffee within the Olympic venues.

Yeah the IOC with a host city contract will not allow a Relationship that started in 1984 that is the product of McDonalds relationship with Coca Cola to be jeopardized by a Chain of Curry Restaurants

At other sporting venues, including the ExCel Centre where boxing, weightlifting and table tennis will take place, restaurant and cafe owners have been told that they will have to leave the venues for the duration of the Games to make way for official sponsors.

Again it is can the Host city contract and the securing of commercial rights for the IOC in on the front end for the Worldwide Partners. Get it through your heads no MCy DEES the City breaks its contract with the IOC.

McDonald's said yesterday that it were in negotiations with the Olympic authorities. "We are in discussions. In past games we have been the branded food retailer but there have been other 'unbranded' products on sale." A spokesman for London 2012 said: "There will be sponsor-branded restaurants and products in the Olympic Park which will sit alongside a diverse and full range of other local food offerings which we are committed to providing."

No doubt with Unbranded products they were sold by McDonald's staff to make sure no cards, fliers or Marketing material from any potential competitors was handed out promoting these products origin. McDonald's Pays hugely for the goodwill of the Games so McDonalds is the only Restaurant to get that Marketing exposure at the Worlds Largest event . Hey welcome to the reality of the Olympics UK restaurants suck it up because this is the price for hosting the olympics with your tax money working against you with Foreign Corporations mostly America having qan exclusive.

You sell your sole to the IOC when your politicians sign on the dotted line

Jim Jones

Ps I hear the Glasgow 2014 games is looking for sponsors LOL that should be able to complete with the London 2012 games that will damage your business both on the Tax side and the market share side.

I LOVE McDonalds (actually love Arby's more)...and their stock is solid!

Baron I note that this london councilor is a Green Party politician and hopefully Canada will be serving seal flipper pie at MCdonalds for Vancouver 2010 LOL.

jim jones

I LOVE McDonalds (actually love Arby's more)...and their stock is solid!

I like Arby's more too

liked Jack in a Box as well.

Ah the days i could taste test american fast food. LOL.

Jim jones

Yeah like hey Detroit Automakers never did a damm thing for the IOC except donate vehicles to the running of the games IE Montreal 76 and Calgary 1988 which I know of . Hey I rode around in a Calgary Olympics Passenger Van in the early 1990s compliments of it being for Sale at the local GMC dealership post 1988 . And God I was so disappointed VW , Renault , Jaguar or Toyota wasn't providing Vans for those Games and probably for no others undoubtedly

I am sure the case is the same for GM in Regards to Vancouver 2010 and has been the same with European , Asian and Australian units of GMC when the games have come to those locations.

Yeah i guess you can be smart enough in Detroit to provide athletes mode of ground transport but hey stage the games ?

Jim jones

JJ - No partner (whether from the US or from any other countries), nor Broadcasters provide funding to the Olympic Movement out of generosity and that is perfectly fine. So please stop trying to have us share a tear for these poor US sponsors fooled by the IOC. When it comes to marketing, the Olympic Rings is a brand, one of the most if not the most recognised in the world, and it has a price attached to it if you want to be associated with it.

BTW, I like how, when you talk about European partners you mention "They only provide value in kind" but when it's an American partner, it becomes "donate vehicles". Gee talk about double standards.

And just to prove you wrong one more time: Renault was a Tier 1 partner of Albertville, Seat was a partner of Barcelona, Fiat of Torino, Toyota for Nagano...

JJ - No partner (whether from the US or from any other countries), nor Broadcasters provide funding to the Olympic Movement out of generosity and that is perfectly fine. So please stop trying to have us share a tear for these poor US sponsors fooled by the IOC. When it comes to marketing, the Olympic Rings is a brand, one of the most if not the most recognised in the world, and it has a price attached to it if you want to be associated with it.

BTW, I like how, when you talk about European partners you mention "They only provide value in kind" but when it's an American partner, it becomes "donate vehicles". Gee talk about double standards.

And just to prove you wrong one more time: Renault was a Tier 1 partner of Albertville, Seat was a partner of Barcelona, Fiat of Torino, Toyota for Nagano...

so lets think of this . The French , Italian and Spanish governments would allow GM to supply automobiles as opposed to companies that they probably have part ownership in ? The French taxpayer via the government owns a stake in Renault. The same is probably the case with fiat and seat.

GM Ford or Chrysler don't have those type of pressures in their board rooms or shareholder meetings where as it would be political suicide in France to not have Renault as THE automoible provider.

Toyota with American plants certainly could sponsor with an eye being blinked in North America as well as Honda and the other Foreign owned companies with good presence in america. IN America before the recent bailouts it was your choice to be a shareholder in Europe that is part of being a citizen for much of industry for decades. GM or any US automarker could walk away with little problem from the sponsorship offer and no other foreign competitor is going to gain market share because they provide vehicles to the Olympics when they are staging in NA. Politically people would not care Frankly . France or Italy Well .

An IT company and a Timing Company certainly provide services needed to run a games . Mcdonalds, Coca Cola , Manulife , Johnson and Johnson , Visa and Kodak certainly don't provide services to the Olympics except mutually benefiting marketing platforms . The only US partners that the IOC needs in regards to services are GE and NBC really and the Relationships there are straight Cash going to the IOC.

It is of course not a one way street these companies of course benefit but somehow Seimans, Airbus , Mercedes or other European industrial giants do pony up . Gosh Burger King once belonged to UK interests yuo would think they would counter Mcdonald and the Olympics with the Fifa World Cup as Mastercard tried to do with Visa .

Jim Jones

so lets think of this . The French , Italian and Spanish governments would allow GM to supply automobiles as opposed to companies that they probably have part ownership in ? The French taxpayer via the government owns a stake in Renault. The same is probably the case with fiat and seat.

GM Ford or Chrysler don't have those type of pressures in their board rooms or shareholder meetings where as it would be political suicide in France to not have Renault as THE automoible provider.

Toyota with American plants certainly could sponsor with an eye being blinked in North America as well as Honda and the other Foreign owned companies with good presence in america. IN America before the recent bailouts it was your choice to be a shareholder in Europe that is part of being a citizen for much of industry for decades. GM or any US automarker could walk away with little problem from the sponsorship offer and no other foreign competitor is going to gain market share because they provide vehicles to the Olympics when they are staging in NA. Politically people would not care Frankly . France or Italy Well .

Point is your original claim was wrong.

An IT company and a Timing Company certainly provide services needed to run a games . Mcdonalds, Coca Cola , Manulife , Johnson and Johnson , Visa and Kodak certainly don't provide services to the Olympics except mutually benefiting marketing platforms . The only US partners that the IOC needs in regards to services are GE and NBC really and the Relationships there are straight Cash going to the IOC.

I take it you have seen the TOP Contract then in order to make such claims.

I haven't so I don't know exactly the balance between VIK and Cash for these various partners. What I do know however is that Kodak certainly provides services to the OCOGs (or used to): Kodak provides services in accreditation and, what's that thing, the Main Press Centre (just a few tens of thousands pictures are taken, processed and developped during the Games, no big deal) <_<