Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Citius Altius Fortius

"lake Tahoe 2018"? / "zaragoza 2018"?

I can definitely see an American bid (maybe Tahoe, or maybe SLC!). Not so sure on a Spanish bid - I suspect Madrid will go for it once more.

I believe a report already went out that 2016, come what may, the USOC would take a rest first.

Besides, usa-soccer is going for 2018/22...so I believe Tahoe was told to cool its heels first and prepare for 2022 instead.

I believe a report already went out that 2016, come what may, the USOC would take a rest first.

Besides, usa-soccer is going for 2018/22...so I believe Tahoe was told to cool its heels first and prepare for 2022 instead.

Thats a surprise for me. I always thought there would be five serious bidder for 2018: An US one, Annecy, Harbin, Munich and PC.

I really dont see a 2018 US bid. They are going all out with Chicago and I just dont see how they can quickly spin around and provide a realistic candidate in such a short window of time. Unless they have secretly picked a candidate already - which seems unlikely.

I think we will see a few more Borjomis this time around.

Thats a surprise for me. I always thought there would be five serious bidder for 2018: An US one, Annecy, Harbin, Munich and PC.

well, unlike certain countries and cities, the US just doesn't bid for anything that moves. The choices are more spaced out and purposely methodical. Besides, shooting for 2018 at this stage is a little tight...and remember Vancouver would be just one WOG past. The cycle for WOGs returning to the US seems to be every 20 years... 1960 - Squaw Valley; 1980 - Lake Placid, 2002 - Salt Lake, so 2022 would fit right into that pattern.

The USOC has already stated that they are not bidding for 2018. Their main focus right now is 2016, especially since the Application Deadline for 2018 is Mid October 2009, just right after Copenhagen. If they U.S. was bidding, we'd already know by now who the candidate would be. Unless like someone mentioned earlier, the USOC has 'secretly' been dealing with a candidate city behind closed doors all this time.

I wouldn't discount the possibility that if Chicago falters in the 2016 race that the USOC may have the 2020 Games in its sights, be it with Chicago again or any other American city. If the USOC were to go after the 2018 Games, it would appear that that bid would indicate 2020 was off the table. It appears the USOC would rather have a summer games first before the winter games again.

I wouldn't discount the possibility that if Chicago falters in the 2016 race that the USOC may have the 2020 Games in its sights, be it with Chicago again or any other American city. If the USOC were to go after the 2018 Games, it would appear that that bid would indicate 2020 was off the table. It appears the USOC would rather have a summer games first before the winter games again.

And... how do you have proof of this?

well, unlike certain countries and cities, the US just doesn't bid for anything that moves. The choices are more spaced out and purposely methodical.

Denver 1976, Los Angeles 1976, Lake Placide 1980, Los Angeles 1980, Los Angeles 1984, Anchorage 92, Anchorage 94, Atlanta 96, Salt Lake City 98, Salt Lake City 2002, NYC 2012, Chicago 2016... <_<

If Chicago/Madrid weren't selected for 2016 would Lake Tahoe/Zaragoza bid for 2018?

What do you think?

hey! I have been on holiday these days :)

I have no idea for Tahoe... but talking about Zaragoza's bid, since the beginnig of the year there have been some talks about it. There is a project for the Games, but a decission hasn't been taken yet. July is the deadline, so everything could happen. Let's wait...

Denver 1976, Los Angeles 1976, Lake Placide 1980, Los Angeles 1980, Los Angeles 1984, Anchorage 92, Anchorage 94, Atlanta 96, Salt Lake City 98, Salt Lake City 2002, NYC 2012, Chicago 2016... <_<

OMG, that's so 20th century.

well duh, where are 00? 04? 06? 08? 14?

Well there was no point bidding for 00, 04, 06 and 14 after Atlanta and Salt Lake. Even the US realise there are limits!

Well there was no point bidding for 00, 04, 06 and 14 after Atlanta and Salt Lake. Even the US realise there are limits!

you are right in regards to spacing of the US based Olympic Games but also look to the fact that the US is the only place that hosted a winter then summer games 4 years apart with 1980 and 1984 ,6 years apart with 1996 and 2002. Winter Games will naturally have more of a chance of coming to America simply because the options are fewer . Northern Europe, Germany , Italy , France Russia, Korea , China , Japan , Switzerland , Austria and Canada are the only real competition. With the Summer Games you will have a list that still has frontiers in the future compared with South Korea and China on the WOG side.

Remember also the US summer games with a 12 year spacing in the late 20th century.

Jim Jones