Best Venues

I don't like the idea of the marathon be finished outside the olympic stadium but the local proposed by Rio in the bid is a icon for the city and the route will be the best possible with a plain course and a beautyful view from the flamengo park.

samb.jpg

Other images of the sambodrome:

sambodromo.jpg

sambodromo_noite.jpg

riodejaneiro%20sambodromo.jpg

1B97AD_2.jpg

34-2.jpg

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

About all this discussion of Havelange stadium vs. Maracana (I forget now which one will be just for Ceremonies and which one just for T&F) -- but I came across this arcane IOC rule from their Bye-laws, version 1980, lines 44 and 45:

"In the case of an opening ceremony being authorised by the IOC to be held at a secondary venue, the rules of protocol described above shall not apply, but the OCOG must submit details of the ceremony in advance to the IOC (at least one year)."

So the IOC recognizes that an OC can be held elsewhere, they just want to know the details in advance. So there will be no problem if Havelange just hosts the Ceremonies.

I forgot to add that if Rio held the OC at Maracana, then the traditional rules for an OC can go out the door, and Rio can just go crazy with their OC!! :lol:

Maracana is proposed to host the ceremonies and football. To me, it is not a bid issue, and they could always just as another cauldron at the athletics stadium (they are not too far from each other either) at least it didn't seem too far on their video...

I don't like the idea of the marathon be finished outside the olympic stadium but the local proposed by Rio in the bid is a icon for the city and the route will be the best possible with a plain course and a beautyful view from the flamengo park.

samb.jpg

Other images of the sambodrome:

sambodromo.jpg

sambodromo_noite.jpg

riodejaneiro%20sambodromo.jpg

1B97AD_2.jpg

34-2.jpg

The end of the marathon in the "Temple of the Samba". One of the most mythical places in Brazil. One of the most iconic for the games as the Maracanã and Copacabana beach.

I love!

Maracana is proposed to host the ceremonies and football. To me, it is not a bid issue, and they could always just as another cauldron at the athletics stadium (they are not too far from each other either) at least it didn't seem too far on their video...

That's the proposal, two cauldrons, a relay in Rio in the first day of athletics from Maracana to JH Olympic Stadium. I don't think it's a big issue too.

But I'd rather ceremonies in Olympic Stadium

• 4 weeks later...

Rio government release some details of the Maracana project for 2014 WC and 2016 OG. The main changes are:

* Construction of new access ramps and elevated pavements to increase circulation area.

* Substitution of the existent seats for models with backs in accordance with FIFA and IOC requirements.

* Construction of a parking adjacent to stadium.

* Extension of the roof to cover all seats (maybe even the field. That depend of the winner proposal of the constructor company).

imagem1law.jpg

Roof design:

imagem2yqk.jpg

Archived