Best Venues

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me, the best venues in the Rio's project are: The Olympic Park and the Olympic Stadium

Olympic Park (Today):

olympic_park_rio.jpg

And, the Olympic Park complete for 2016:

rio2016_olympicpark.jpg

And, the João Havelange Olympic Stadium:

ladopeEngenhoRio-4.jpg

684187720_dfadbec2ec_b.jpg

But I love the beach exclusively for athletes near the Olympic village. And the scenario for volleyball, rowing, marathon ... the Copacabana beach, Rodrigo de Freitas Lagoon, the Flamengo Park and the Sugar Loaf are a bonus for the event in Rio.

I like the venues of Chicago and Tokyo, too.

^^

The photos of Rio's project are small, why?

In fact, are two water parks for 2016 in Rio.

The project of the new Aquatic Park (temporary, only for the games):

8-36.jpg

And the Maria Lenk Aquatic Park (of Rio 2007 and for Rio 2011 Military World Games and Rio 2016 for the water polo)

aquaticparkrio.png

parque_aquatico_riodejaneiro-1.jpg

It's more than just the venues...which all things being equal... are all probably the same.

What it'll boil down to is:

- organizational experience

- the locations and spread of the venues, the OV, the Media Centre, hotels, etc.

- finances (which setting will probably fill the greatest no. of seats)

- backing from on-high

- is it the right time and the right place for this particular host...

Caue, why are our Rio's venues so small? I guess that cuts our Rio out, huh? :(

for me no doubt that Tokyos and Madrids venues look the best. I do think they have a boring bid but they have a good sense or architecture, modernism, its mind blowing. Chicago's venues I think are good, Rio's are satisfying and small in comparison to the others, I do like the "second" water park if itll be built and it reminds me of the water cube, Rio needs an innovative architect, Joao Havelange Stadium could've been way more developed in a more modern way cuz of the 4 Olympic stadiums Rios is the least impressive, and I dont think there will be major changes, but it satisfies me.

Chicago VENUE EXPERIENCE VIDEO:

I would say that each bid definitely has their own style. Chicago's are not as open as Madrid, and they do not really give a good perspective to architecture.

My picks -

Archery -

Chicago has the best venue for archery because of the back drop of the city. I like how Madrid displays the venue though.

Obama gave his election night speech on the very site of the archery venue, and this would be an amazing scene for many people...

ChicagoSky.jpg

Aquatics -

(not sure) because I would like to see what Tokyo's venue looks like from the inside. I like the exterior of Rio's glass box. Chicago only has a temporary venue, and it is OK. Madrid's seems too sterile, but it does look cool.

Badminton -

Madrid's render looks the best, but I like Chicago's colors beter.

Basketball -

I am not impressed with Chicago or Tokyo's render. I think Madrid has an interesting exterior, but would like to see the inside.

Here is an actual photo of Chicago's United Center (home to Michael Jordan). As of now I will stick with Chicago's venue. It has history, and it is one of the premier basketball venues in the U.S.

unitedcenter-main_Full.jpg

Boxing -

Again, Madrid has a very "open" feel, but boxing to me should allow the fans to have an "up close to the action" feel. Chicago's venue at the UIC Pavilion is OK, but it will not win any awards. I would like to see Tokyo's interior, and am not impressed with Rio's venue.

My faves among the venues proposed so far would be Chicaco's Archery site, Tokyo's Badminton Arena, the Tokyo's Boxing arena and Madrid's Basketball venue.

I have to admit Madrid has one of the most blandest venues so far. The worse being their Archery and Aquatics venue so far. Another venue I like would be the Rio's Aquatics venue looks more a squarish version of the Water cube. Tokyo's Aquatic venue has a very stark resemblance to Munich's WC stadium.

Archery -

Chicago has the best venue for archery because of the back drop of the city.

Actually, that can be a negative. As an archer, I would think you would want (yourself and the spectators) to concentrate on the target, your sport...not on peripheral distractions like a "gorgeous skyline" ...not to mention it's way out in the open....so there will be breezes and drafts.

Athens had it best I think.

for me no doubt that Tokyos and Madrids venues look the best. I do think they have a boring bid but they have a good sense or architecture, modernism, its mind blowing. Chicago's venues I think are good, Rio's are satisfying and small in comparison to the others, I do like the "second" water park if itll be built and it reminds me of the water cube, Rio needs an innovative architect, Joao Havelange Stadium could've been way more developed in a more modern way cuz of the 4 Olympic stadiums Rios is the least impressive, and I dont think there will be major changes, but it satisfies me.

I don't like the Olympic stadium of Madrid.

Well, the best arenas of Rio are the Olympic Stadium, HSBC Arena (for gymnastics) and the Maracanãzinho Arena (Maracanã in a miniature, for the volleyball).

My opinion from the renders -

Canoe-Kayak = Chicago and Tokyo have best venue

Rowing = Chicago and Rio have best venue

Cycling = Madrid has best venue

Fencing = Chicago or Tokyo have best venue

Field Hockey = Madrid has best venue

Archived