Lima 2015 Bid

Tatsh

• 2 weeks later...

What? The bid book worked fine D: at least for me

The project for the renovation of Lima National Stadium looks pretty impressive, the works have started already altough some people are not very happy with it (since the stadium is used often for many events, like concerts).

vb6th.jpg

I still dont get why are they going to make more seats and replace great part of the track field. Arent they going to use this stadium for athletics? If they dont that would be a great shame since its a pretty amazing venue for the events.

• 2 months later...

8,000 people supports Lima... It seems Peruvians are not very enthusiastic...

Well, I'm little used to Rio's site with about 6 million supporters for an Olympic Games in the last day.

The use of the stadium for concerts, it's another topic, ignorant people is usually who are against Pan Am Bid, evne some of them think that Pan AM is a football tournament, but no one pay attention to them.

The national stadium will be used for OC and CC, and for other competitions like athletics. For running, it will be another stadium.

Well, I'm little used to Rio's site with about 6 million supporters for an Olympic Games in the last day.

Well, it's about Pan AM games, no olympic games, and lot of people want PAG for Lima but all of them can't entern the website for lot of reasons.

It took a long while for Rio 2016 get its 6 million supporters. The PanAms is not as large or famous as the Olympics and get less coverage, and because of that, less supporters and less media. Lima , Bogotá and Toronto are running a 'silent race', similar to Rio and San Antonio back in 2002 remember? Most people here in Brazil didn't even knew Rio was host city until 2005. And because of that succesful 2007 games, Rio 2016 is a reality.

We must be very careful not to look down on the event that made our olympic plans possible and be happy that our PanAms have inspired other cities in the continent to use the PanAms to build Olympic infrastructure and possible future bids. And Lima, Toronto and Bogotá seem pretty serious on their aspirations. That's great for the future of the Pan American moviment. So, good luck to the 3 bidding cities.

BTW, Lima 2015 has 9000+ supporters today.

• 2 weeks later...

Gaffe almost derails Peru's Pan Am bid

Canada, Colombia forgive TV misstep

November 05, 2009

John Kernaghan

The Hamilton Spectator

http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/666913

GUADALAJARA, Mexico -- Lima's quest for the 2015 Pan Am Games was almost dumped Wednesday when it's bid book presumed that Lima would control TV signals during the Games.

Pan Am president Mario Vazquez Rana held up the Lima book and said the offer of free TV signals to Pan Am countries could disqualify the bid. He appealed to Canada and Colombia to waive the misstep on behalf of bids from Toronto and Bogota.

Canadian Olympic Committee president Mike Chambers rose and said Canada would forgive Peru. So did Colombia's representative.

The vote to stage the 2015 Games, with $170 million of sports development at stake for Hamilton, is Friday afternoon. Lima is seen as a serious competitor to frontrunner Toronto.

Just like political conventions, the buildup to votes for international events such as the Pan Am Games are subject to surging emotions and fortunes. And Peru's error is just one example of what can happen.

Chicago's collapse due to a lacklustre finish in the hunt for the 2016 Olympics last month is the most recent example.

In this Pan Am race, Toronto 2015 has been identified as the front-runner in the competition with Lima, Peru, and Bogota, Colombia. And sources close to the bid suggest the lobbying effort will yield between 32 and 34 votes, well above the 27 needed to win.

That would mean $170 million in sports and recreation development in Hamilton and Burlington.

"We feel good about where we're at," said Toronto 2015 special adviser Bob Richardson yesterday as the Canadian delegation of 50 began efforts to close the deal. "It's a tough competition but we have done most things right."

But is there some dreaded X factor that builds in the late going to allow Lima or Bogota to win the 2015 prize?

Richardson and the Canadian delegation believe the Golden Horseshoe bid has a convincing argument that it can "deliver the Games on time and on budget."

A veteran observer of Games votes yesterday noted this vote will come to a battle of heads versus hearts.

"The Toronto bid is technically excellent and Canada has proven again and again its ability to stage good Games. But Lima, in particular, is appealing to hearts. It's the, 'Little us, we've never had a major event in our country. They all go north.'"

Indeed, Lima delegation spokesperson Ricardo Antonio Duarte Mungi says the heart of the Peruvian bid is the fact it is one of the larger Pan Am countries to not stage the Pan Ams.

"It's our turn. The Olympic spirit is to have Games in countries who do not have as much money. This is our chance to build facilities we don't have."

In contrast, Mungi said, "Toronto has everything already."

Richardson said the Canadian bid is countering that with repeated references to the fact southern Ontario, with a third of Canada's population, has not staged a major multi-sport event since Hamilton put on the 1930 British Empire Games.

Another X factor could be the preference of Mario Vazquez Rana, president of the Pan American Sports Organization. The long-term Pan Am head is characterized as a man who can swing 10 votes one way or the other.

The Mexican media mogul has pointedly made no comment on relative qualities of the bids but one veteran delegate told The Spec he has indicated Toronto would be the best site to build the Pan Am brand and forge new business relationships.

"I bet he says nice things about all the girls," another noted.

Another line of thinking is that if voting was done purely along language lines, Spanish-speaking countries would command 26 votes, while from a regional standpoint the Caribbean Association of National Olympic Committees represents 26 votes, too. It includes three Spanish-speaking nations with two votes each, two South American and one Central American member.

That CANOC group is meeting this morning, said president Steve Stoute, with an item on the agenda to discuss Toronto 2015.

The Lima 2015 bid is not only from one month ago, the hype made low noise about that, but that's another topic.

And the other things are similar like the comparison Chicago - Rio.

Feveha, really? because i find the Lima 2015 logo good, better than Bogota and Torontos' logo.

Feveha, really? because i find the Lima 2015 logo good, better than Bogota and Torontos' logo.

I really liked the bid book!

What does de Lima's logo shows about Lima?

It's a Pole vault athlete on a red and white (Peruvian flag colours?) background.

In Bogota's I can see a mountain, celebration and olympic colours. I don't like Toronto's either...

And also Lima's slogan is a little presumptuous and vage. "La mejor sede".

I'd really like to se the Pan Am Games in Lima, even though I think Toronto will get it...

about the logo

The background represents Lima like the capital city of a country wich has a big diversity, which has coast, mountains and forest in just one country, and also a diversity of people in lot of aspects.

The woman in a pole vault ready to made the jump, represents the current moment of Lima, ready to take challenges 'cause want to show its good perfomance.

and the slogan "la mejor sede" is only a slogan similar to let the friendship shine or viva su pasión.

about the logo

The background represents Lima like the capital city of a country wich has a big diversity, which has coast, mountains and forest in just one country, and also a diversity of people in lot of aspects.

Now I can see mountains and the sea shore in the background, but Pan Am games should be more about the city than the country. Lima is very famous for its cousine (vanguard), diversity (Incans, spanish, japanese, etc.), city buzz, etc. Beeing the capital doesn't really matter... There are hundreds of capitals of hundreds of interesting countries in the world...

The woman in a pole vault ready to made the jump, represents the current moment of Lima, ready to take challenges 'cause want to show its good perfomance.

It's a very good idea but the way it was designed is too subtle to understand it... It looks like mora a Olympic Pictogram.

and the slogan "la mejor sede" is only a slogan similar to let the friendship shine or viva su pasión.

I don't think is similar. If you want to sell a car, for example, you can advertise it as "The best car" or "To drive this car is to feel like you are in heaven".

When you say simply "the best", what do you mean? Why is the best? Is it the best because its more prepared or because it has the most exotic site? What are the parametres?

Sorry! I didn't mean to be picky, but I work with Design and this kind of discussions interest me!

By the way, for me, Mafalda is the best catoon ever! :)

Archived