Claudia Pechstein Is Out!

Its pretty much all in the tittle. Pechstein, who has nine career Olympic medals (including 5 golds and 2 medals from Turin, silver in the 5000m and gold in the Team Pursuit) has been found guilty of blood doping by the ISU, and the thirty-seven years old is suspended until 2011. She has appealed from the decision, but at the very least her reputation will have a lasting blow.

ISU Decision

PC_090305pechstein-claudia_4.jpg

Huge topic here in Germany. She is most successful German athlete at the Winter Games. Two of our most successful athletes cheated. Who can we trust now? I dont want to defend her, but she has never been tested positive. The CAS will decide. So far Pechstein has still the support of the of the German NOC and its chairman Thomas Bach.

The second athlete is Isabell Werth, one of our most successful dressage athlete.

From what I've heard the German Equestrian world is not going to well right now because of doping... But having two five-time Olympic gold medallist be accused of doping so closed together certainly can't be good for the national mood...

As for Pechstein, whether or not she doped her name will always be tainted. Its a sad thing regardless: if she did doped, its a shame she was only caught now. If she didn't dope, her reputation is ruined forever.

From what I've heard the German Equestrian world is not going to well right now because of doping... But having two five-time Olympic gold medallist be accused of doping so closed together certainly can't be good for the national mood...

As for Pechstein, whether or not she doped her name will always be tainted. Its a sad thing regardless: if she did doped, its a shame she was only caught now. If she didn't dope, her reputation is ruined forever.

This brings up an interesting question - would the IOC strip Pechstein/Germany of her medals like they did for Marion Jones and the other US athletes from the Sydney games

A sad day few weeks for German Olympism. Whats the coverage been like of both cases in Germany? Sympathetic, Angry, Disappointed?

I think "surprised", "astonished" and "disappointed" are the emotions of the press and of the public. The case Werth is easy to understand. The veterinarian used a medicine for the horse, that was not allowed for any animal, not just sport horses. But it was Werths third horse, not the one, that won the medals with her. But nevertheless, the wont be able to compete because she pregnant now.

The case Pechstein is unique. My English is too poor to explain it. But I can tell you my personal view:

I think, she has cheated. Pechstein seems to be not aware, that this part of the blood gets tested. She denies any wrong doing. She is not only fighting to compete in Vancouver, she is also a member of the German Federal Police for her lifetime. If the ban remains in place, she would be forced to quit and would lose her pensions.

I would not call it a sad day. Every cheater has to be found, no matter his or her nationality. But the problem is, that the mistrust is rising. Britta Steffen has a former GDR-coach and swims WR. Can we trust her? Can we trust Sebastian Bayer, when he jumps 7,90m 8,00m and suddenly 8,71m (indoor) and 8,49m (outdoor), while his coach is telling in an interview, that he himself tried doping? Can we trust Brink/Reckermann when they are the first Europeans, that win the Beach volleyball WCh?

The suspicion is always present and thats annoying.

This brings up an interesting question - would the IOC strip Pechstein/Germany of her medals like they did for Marion Jones and the other US athletes from the Sydney games

I think the IOC first has to wait for the decision in appeal of CAS. If she still is guilty after that decision I think the IOC can do that if the tests around the time of the Olympic medals also are researched again (they have all blood samples until 12 years back). So maybe it will happen, but I don't think the athletes who can get medals after so many years want to have them. There's no honour about that. I think in the Olympics it's the moment, the medal ceremony etc who make it that special. To get medals 4, 8 or maybe even 12 years after the results is not a good thing, I even think nobody knows the names of the new Olympic medal winners.

• 3 months later...

The CAS decision starts tomorrow. German media says that this decision could make history, not only in Germany. FIS president Kasper has said he has a long list of athletes that will be banned, if Pechstein will be found guilty.

Edited by Goethe

• 4 weeks later...
The CAS decision starts tomorrow. German media says that this decision could make history, not only in Germany. FIS president Kasper has said he has a long list of athletes that will be banned, if Pechstein will be found guilty.

Well, looks like the decision will be finalized pretty soon. This could unleash a Pandora's Box of HUGE proportions. If I may ask Goethe, why would the FIS be concerned with the Pechstein case? They are the skiing IF, not the the skating IF (Is Cinquantta still the President there?)

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/speed-skating/ne...e+nov?cid=wgtsn

Well, looks like the decision will be finalized pretty soon. This could unleash a Pandora's Box of HUGE proportions. If I may ask Goethe, why would the FIS be concerned with the Pechstein case? They are the skiing IF, not the the skating IF (Is Cinquantta still the President there?)

unfortunately yes, cinquantta is still the president of the ISU.

It's the first case with these circumstances, that's also why CAS needed such long time to decide (because there is nog jurisprudence until now, that's what the court president said.

So from this decision on there will be new jurisprudence and more athletes can be found guilty, so the FIS president can of course go to court with some ski athletes after the decision. But every other IF or NOC president can say that.

Claudia Pechstein & DESG v. ISU

Lausanne, 19 November 2009 - The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) will render its decision in the arbitration procedure between the German speedskater Claudia Pechstein, the Deutsche Eisschnelllauf Gemeinschaft and the International Skating Union on Wednesday, 25 November 2009.

Ms Pechstein’s case was heard at the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) on 22 and 23 October 2009. Ms Pechstein is appealing against a decision rendered by the ISU Disciplinary Commission which found her guilty of an anti-doping rule violation and suspended her from competition for a period of two years.

The CAS Panel in charge of this case has decided to deliver the award together with the reasons in writing.

I doubt they will take her Olympic medals seeing the abnormality did not show up till last year.

But why can they not explain what the abnormality is?

Claudia Pechstein was banned for two years for alleged blood doping, based on irregular levels of reticulocytes in her blood; these levels were always highest during competitions.

A recent, more sophisticated method of analysis, which has not yet reached the level of an official standard, is to compare the numbers of mature and immature RBCs (red blood cell) in an athlete's circulation. If a high number of mature RBCs is not accompanied by a high number of immature RBCs—called reticulocytes--it suggests that the mature RBCs were artificially introduced by transfusion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_doping