I don't know what they'll show - but it's RUSSIA, for goodness sake. It is arguably one of the most interesting countries on earth, with serious ambition. It's going to be an amazing show, and potentially an Opening Ceremony unlike any other we've seen before.

I share your optimistic expectations.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

it will be the most boring opening ceremony after atlanta :S

Fly over for a visit. There were some wonderful moments, but also quite a few disorganized looking head-scratchers. It wasn't terrible, but I have yet to speak to anyone on this side of the pond who

I will always see Beijings as a celebration that the Chinese beat their drums to the same beat and Londons a celebration that we each beat our drums to very different beats. Im certainly not trying

The best use of me of the pixels is shown on the DVD its in the Frankie and June segment with the front of an underground train driven by Ken Livingstone projected onto the inflatable house with the image of the pixels creating the tube walls speeding past in the background. Its incredible I don't remember seeing it in the actual footage of the night but its well worth a look

I have to buy that DVD, when I am the next time in London

I have to buy that DVD, when I am the next time in London

You can also order it online on Amazon - but I'd rather order it at Amazon UK, since the DVD is a lot more expensive on Amazon Germany (I don't know how expensive shipping from the UK is, though):

Amazon UK: http://www.amazon.co.uk/London-2012-Olympic-Games-DVD/dp/B008T5M4O8

Amazon Germany: http://www.amazon.de/London-2012-Olympic-Games-Import/dp/B008T5M4O8

I'm planning to order it, too - as soon as I have a new permanent address, since I have to move for my new job.

Addendum: Shipping from the UK to Germany costs 2.28 pounds extra, according to Amazon UK.

I just noticed that they only accept credit cards or voucher codes (at least for international customers, I reckon). I suppose I definitely need a credit card now. ;)

off current topic: is anyone on this board a working men and women or one of the 'industrialist' in the pandemonium section? i need to know the steps in you choreography. (because i'm going to use it for my exercise routine)

Left, right, right. Heel...ball...shuffle and kick. :lol:

• Like 1

off current topic: is anyone on this board a working men and women or one of the 'industrialist' in the pandemonium section? i need to know the steps in you choreography. (because i'm going to use it for my exercise routine)

Facebook is probably the best place to find them- and you're going to have to decide which particular type of work routine you're interested in, as power-loom workers would have a different set of moves from steam engine workers, and so on (and groups of industrialists would probably turn out to be combining different sets of worker moves and adding their own!).

Here, do the ONE DAY MORE choreography from LES MIZ instead.

[utube]

[/utube]

Somebody posted this on SSC...the first 16 minutes of the OC; pretty close to where CAF sat.

[utube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8s29gUII14[/utube]

It just looks so messy here. And I wondered; gee, this is the best Boyle & his team worked on for over two years? Granted, it's an amateur video, but still I don't think it's going to be one for the ages. The NBC and OBS coverages certainly made it look better than it actually was.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Being there my impression wasn't this is messy, my impression was this is incredible. Im sure Martin feels the same, what do you think Martin? Messy or incredible?

I just checked the video, I wished I hadnt commented now, that video gave me a headache. No Olympic ceremony can be judged from such a video, ridiculous

Being there my impression wasn't this is messy, my impression was this is incredible. Im sure Martin feels the same, what do you think Martin? Messy or incredible?

I just checked the video, I wished I hadnt commented now, that video gave me a headache. No Olympic ceremony can be judged from such a video, ridiculous

it is messy but is was intended to be messy that's why it's brilliant.

'Messy'?!?

The part of the ceremony is called PANDEMONIUM. The Industrial Revolution changed everything, carved up the green, rolling hills of Britain and caused chaos in its power, ambition and legacy.

Still amazed at how certain people believe an Olympics ceremony should be, like it's laid down in a law and anything that deviates is considered 'amateurish'.

Indeed, very shaky.

Filmed by a former Gamesbids member from many years ago though.

Messy is completely the wrong word. It wasnt regimented like Beijing. It felt incredible, you knew everybody knew what they were doing and when then needed to do it, it felt real, not like a giant robot or machine. It was human, it was real, it was incredible. The Pandemonium section was the best piece of stage craft I have ever seen.

Messy is completely the wrong word. It wasnt regimented like Beijing. It felt incredible, you knew everybody knew what they were doing and when then needed to do it, it felt real, not like a giant robot or machine. It was human, it was real, it was incredible. The Pandemonium section was the best piece of stage craft I have ever seen.

chaotic or 'organize chaos' might be right word for the section. i'm still astonish on how they tear the meadow apart.it must have been a logistical nightmare.

chaotic or 'organize chaos' might be right word for the section. i'm still astonish on how they tear the meadow apart.it must have been a logistical nightmare.

See, and yes, it's moot -- I would rather they had worked on putting the whole meadow set 'together' -- rather than ripping it apart. In any theatrical presentations, the audience always gets awed and wows when a super-complicated set comes together...when all the pieces fall into place. I understand DB tried to approach it differently, but for me, it didn't work. Instead of positive energy building up; it was bringing in negative energy instead. (And I understand it had to set the stage for Pandemonium; but maybe they could've found a different way to stage it.) Anyway, I hope the Russians and Brazilians return to the more 'regimented, disciplined' formats. I would've felt cheated of my $$$ if I went and paid to see London in person. Just my 2 quid.

They 'put' the rings together. That was the whole point of the Pandemonium section. Ripping up the meadows (which is what in real life happened) led to the unveiling of the Industrial Revolution set, which in turn led to the forging of the rings.

• Like 1

I was by design and necessity messy (organized chaos), and Beijing was intentionally precise. Had Beijing wanted to do a messy chaotic segment they would have, I don’t think precision was an option for London.

I still don’t know exactly what happened with all those countdown and cinematic fly-over sequences.

It’s not what I hoped from London but it was their ceremony and now it’s over, on to Sochi. London may find it’s organized chaos bookended between the 2 most grand Olympic ceremonies of all time.

It’s not what I hoped from London but it was their ceremony and now it’s over, on to Sochi. London may find it’s organized chaos bookended between the 2 most grand Olympic ceremonies of all time.

I HOPE so. (But there's Vancouver in there tho...which I thot was the 3rd best Winter OC so far.)

They 'put' the rings together.

Eeeehh. That was not enuf IMPOV. It was too slow and predictable. I mean when they were starting to float together...I knew..okey, they're coming together. WHere was the element of surprise? Nowhere. And of course, the fireworks would rain down. Why didn't they try to defy gravity a little? and maybe have the pyros on the upper side rather than on the downward side?

Anyway...that bit was just too predictable.