Opening Ceremony

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great find, Middleway!

kevzz, my guess is that those splinters represent debris of the cold industrial area that will (probably) be shown in the second segment of the opening ceremony. They'll start off with the green and pleasant land with the source of the Thames, which will be "pushed away" by the up-coming industrial age with grey factories and smoking chimneys just to be "defeated" again by the forces of nature, namely the river Thames winding through London's East End. And on those industrial debris they'll also stage the NHS tribute, as a sign of humaneness and civility against cold industrialism.

That sounds like a nice continuation of story :) I like the debris idea

35mirfd.jpg

oh i forgot. SPOILER

God, is that the same tree from Athens? So, we have the bell idea from Berlin (and lately Warsaw), the giant beds from "Carry on, Nurse;", the tree from Athens. What next? Oh I know, there's Maypole dancing around those 4 (the rose, the thistle, the lilac thing)....Maypoles!! I think the Thames silhouette will be a giant LED screen a la Beijing. I know the giant beds and bedsheets will be used for projections.

Oh wow that IS insiders picture, thanks for that! Love that they had the trees made to such details even the roots! Looking at the Tor contour up close, it doesn't look like an easy hill to climb, or descend. Made me wonder the feasibility of the final torch runner climbing to the top of the Tor

That's why it made me think the Tor and the tree will be removed at some point of the ceremony, leaving the mound structure with a different surface treatment or another smaller stage under. With the industrial revolution segment that follows, anything green and meadowy will look out of place. So I reckon all green stuff will go and be transformed.

Oh wow that IS insiders picture, thanks for that! Love that they had the trees made to such details even the roots! Looking at the Tor contour up close, it doesn't look like an easy hill to climb, or descend. Made me wonder the feasibility of the final torch runner climbing to the top of the Tor

Nah! I think some "Druids' will come ouf of that uprooted tree; and they will be sending a few of those zorbs down that zig-zag contour of the hill!

That's why it made me think the Tor and the tree will be removed at some point of the ceremony, leaving the mound structure with a different surface treatment or another smaller stage under. With the industrial revolution segment that follows, anything green and meadowy will look out of place. So I reckon all green stuff will go and be transformed.

Been for my 1st rehearsal - omg! The Olympic park looks awesome - the orbit is sublime - the stadium is amazing. Quite emotional - kept having to pinch myself - this is going to be epic! The above pics don't do it justice!

What an amazing day! I'm so lucky!!

Btw - not all the greenery is removed!

Spoiler alert! It doesn't reveal anything completely surprising (indeed, it's something many of us already speculated about here) but if you don't want to see the little details in that ceremony, don't click the link:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/news/9351844/Aerial-pictures-reveal-Danny-Boyles-Olympic-set.html

So at this stage, the Opening Ceremony is based on those Paris Metro maps outside the Metro stations which light up when you want to find your destination. The idea is further refined by the Melbourne 2006 Opening ceremony which also flashed the map of Melbourne as its layout; and cast members were everyday citizens of Melbourne. So Danny Boyle has lied again. It's more like Melbourne 2006 rather than Sydney 2000.

Looking at what's there, it's really a Degreening of the Londno area." The show will open with that pastoral scene; and then after hours gamboling and maypole dancing and f*cking the cows, many grass swards will come out and then a frenetic, kinetic London will open up.

Uhmmm. Am not liking the idea. A little too cliche. But will fairies come down from the Glastonbury Tor to spread their pixie dust to bring in to uncover another layer of the story???

So at this stage, the Opening Ceremony is based on those Paris Metro maps outside the Metro stations which light up when you want to find your destination. The idea is further refined by the Melbourne 2006 Opening ceremony which also flashed the map of Melbourne as its layout; and cast members were everyday citizens of Melbourne. So Danny Boyle has lied again. It's more like Melbourne 2006 rather than Sydney 2000.

Err no - you are way off matey!

Adrian - you're not alone in having tears in your eyes after part of the opening segment. Met up with a few pals today after their rehearsal this morning who all admitted to having a sneaky blub at part of it. It sounds like it's all coming together.

Adrian - you're not alone in having tears in your eyes after part of the opening segment.  Met up with a few pals today after their rehearsal this morning who all admitted to having a sneaky blub at part of it.  It sounds like it's all coming together.

yeah - it really is powerful - especially 2 of the elements!!was great being in the stadium - you can really see it all come together - the giant bell is there and we were also privy to some audience elements that i have never seen before.they are starting to deck the stadium in the look of the games and put the flags of the nations up. Also there will be two giant screens on the roof of the stadium (as the stadium's normal screens will be out of action).the olympic park looks great - the wrap is coming on and looks ok. the catering sheds around the stadium are the only disappointment. the pods would have been a great design statement - but sadly they have put up these value engineered sheds that are just plain ugly and cheap looking!

Archived