Personally I don't think Jerusalem will be played. There may well be music which features it as a motif alongside other traditional pieces but straightforward playing/singing it is unlikely in my opinion.

Perhaps you are right, but personally I hope you are mistaken. It is such a magnificent piece and would be such a fitting benediction for the Games.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

it will be the most boring opening ceremony after atlanta :S

Fly over for a visit. There were some wonderful moments, but also quite a few disorganized looking head-scratchers. It wasn't terrible, but I have yet to speak to anyone on this side of the pond who

I will always see Beijings as a celebration that the Chinese beat their drums to the same beat and Londons a celebration that we each beat our drums to very different beats. Im certainly not trying

Barcelona had some heavily Catalan elements including dancing the sardana and Catalan music. Interestlingly the Catalan anthem was played although somewhat detracted by the arrival of the King and Queen at the same time which is rather odd (or deliberate?).

The alphabetical order of the parade of nations was in French by the way, a compromise between those who wanted it in Catalan and those who thought it should be in Spanish/Castillian.

Nonetheless, there was a segment titled "Land of Passion" with elements from other regions of Spain just after the sardana.

I am also wondering about that giant ring on the roof, could this be the possible cauldron placement site?

And if you look around the field, there are four other rings. My guess is the five will come together will form the Olympic rings. But I think this also proves that the roof can hold more than people think. It isn't a pup tent, after all.

Edited by Kenadian

Perhaps you are right, but personally I hope you are mistaken. It is such a magnificent piece and would be such a fitting benediction for the Games.

For me it's too English as opposed to British - despite my earlier posts on the subject I think it would be a step too far unless alongside songs from the other three nations and it's also too Christian - for that reason I don't think it should be used as England's Commonwealth Games anthem.

Anyway, I can't wait to see what they do, I'm really getting excited now.

What a psycho, talk about blow hot and cold. Freak!

:) Thanks Mallaka. But let's not talk about 'hot and cold' but rather the topic at hand.I love Katy Perry as much as the next person but this isn't the place. Regards.

For me it's too English as opposed to British - despite my earlier posts on the subject I think it would be a step too far unless alongside songs from the other three nations and it's also too Christian - for that reason I don't think it should be used as England's Commonwealth Games anthem.

Anyway, I can't wait to see what they do, I'm really getting excited now.

Christianity is an important part of England's history and foundation. Incorporating Jerusalem would not be like commanding everyone to pray. LA featured some African-American spirituals in the the Music of America portion of the ceremony. Athens featured Greek gods. Beijing drew on multiple faiths in subtle ways. I'm sure Istanbul would incorporate Islamic influences. I just don't see Jerusalem as problematic. And it is WONDERFULLY iconic.

I think Jerusalem would work well as the backbone to an original composition, much like *Hard Times Come Again No More* was threaded through the American West Suite from the Salt Lake Opening Ceremony.

I am also wondering about that giant ring on the roof, could this be the possible cauldron placement site?

At first I though that too but now as there are 4 other rings identified in these photos (see the Cauldron thread) besides that one around the stadium, I've been since guessing that they maybe all be "flown' or come togoether somehow at some point to form the 5-Olympic rings logo (led lights).

(- sorry Kenadian, just read your post after i posted this and see you had the same idea).

Thomas Heatherwick is the designer of the Cauldron and he has created some way out, ground breaking contemporary sculptures. So perhaps he might be expected to come up with something unique and elaborate (or unique and simple?)

Edited by AustralianFan

Jersualem may sounds too English for british festivity, but anyway it's a breathtaking composition that also reminds us the movie Chariots of Fire related woth the Olympics, too...

It would be nice to hearing that song during the opening segment "Green and pleasant". By the way, that name was taken from its lyrics... So, I think it's highly probable that it will be played...

At first I though that too but now as there are 4 other rings identified in these photos (see the Cauldron thread) besides that one around the stadium, I've been since guessing that they maybe all be "flown' or come togoether somehow at some point to form the 5-Olympic rings logo

I think that is the case too. The five rings are part of the puzzle that Boyle mentioned, pieces that are put together to form a giant Olympic ring.

And it makes perfect sense that the Thames is the last scene change that is to stay till the cauldron. It's the path athletes follow and they will congregate at both banks of the river. Also the cauldron sequence might start from the real river Thames leading up to the final torch runner running up this fake Thames onto the tor. It's a nice link i reckon

Edited by kevzz

At first I though that too but now as there are 4 other rings identified in these photos (see the Cauldron thread) besides that one around the stadium, I've been since guessing that they maybe all be "flown' or come togoether somehow at some point to form the 5-Olympic rings logo (led lights).

(- sorry Kenadian, just read your post after i posted this and see you had the same idea).

Thomas Heatherwick is the designer of the Cauldron and he has created some way out, ground breaking contemporary sculptures. So perhaps he might be expected to come up with something unique and elaborate (or unique and simple?)

I now believe that the 5 rings will come together in some way to form the Olympic Rings. I also have a feeling that whatever Heatherwick does it will be as much an engineering feat as a design one. What I mean is that the cauldron is unlikely to just be simply unveiled, I have a feeling it will be quite a technical engineered unveiling with some machinery involved.

The only thing I have been able to predict so far is the Thames going through the centre of the stadium, I had that picture in my head for one of my ideas. The green and pelasant land, live animals and dramatic set change has really surprised me, for the good. I am impressed that he is not making it easy for himself and is really trying to put a British stamp on this show. Wonderful.

London 2012 is not England's games exclusively.

Oaky!! I love you n all, but ... yes, there is a but lol! Why can't/shouldn't this ceremony be more skewed towards a London/English centric vision?? I mean, the Olympics are happening in London, in England.

Natually there should be aspects of the ceremony that incorporate the other UK nations, but I do not see it as unreasonable that London and England be heavily represented.

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 2

Oaky!! I love you n all, but ... yes, there is a but lol! Why can't/shouldn't this ceremony be more skewed towards a London/English centric vision?? I mean, the Olympics are happening in London, in England.

Natually there should be aspects of the ceremony that incorporate the other UK nations, but I do not see it as unreasonable that London and England be heavily represented.

I never said it shouldn't/wouldn't be. Please read my post again Michelle aswell as the following one. That quote you have of mine was in reference to a specific point made. Naturally, given the disparity is sizes within the UK etc there won't be an equal 25% split between all 4 home nations. I've never said there should be actually.

Everyone seems to be talking about 'Jerusalem' as a natural song choice for this set. But whenever I hear them mention the last night of the proms I think of land of hope and glory. Dont you think this will be played or incorporated somehow? I love this song, and nothing feels more British to me than this! It would sound fantastic in the stadium I think.

I also think this would suit the posh pit more by the way the audience do that stupid dance thing at the proms, lol

Personally I feel it is such a shame if Jerusalem is not played in this 'green and pleasant labd' segment. If some parties might find the words too English centric, then just play the music then. The music is emotionally stirring enough and will be do wonderful if the opening shot begins with close up of the villagers minding their own things and Jerusalem music playing in the background.

Personally I feel it is such a shame if Jerusalem is not played in this 'green and pleasant labd' segment. If some parties might find the words too English centric, then just play the music then. The music is emotionally stirring enough and will be do wonderful if the opening shot begins with close up of the villagers minding their own things and Jerusalem music playing in the background.

Think back to the handover in Beijing, there was hints of Jerusalem and Green selves, both are very English songs.

13 June from the IOC website:

In the preceding months there have already been 157 cast rehearsals, but with just 45 days to go until the Olympic Games, preparations are moving up a gear. Volunteer performers have been spending evenings and weekends at the new site in Barking & Dagenham, where 37 of the rehearsals are taking place.

Meanwhile, the London 2012 Ceremonies Team working at the production base at 3 Mills Studios has been tasked with the creation of 2,956 props, and staff in the costume department are working tirelessly to complete the 23,000 costumes required for all four ceremonies, including sewing on 24,570 buttons.

On the technical side, installation for ceremonies lighting is due to commence in the Olympic Stadium, which includes 1,100 automated lamps, 1,000 conventional lamps, 500 LED fixtures, and 32 follow spots. A million watt sounds system using more than 500 speakers and 50 tonnes of associated sound gear will also be required.

I just saw the stadium with the field in it! It looks amazing!! IMO London 2012 is shaping up to be a AWESOME show, the field reminds me of the opening from "The Vicar of Dibley" (I love the show).

If only I lived in the UK and had the time to volunteer.