• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

it will be the most boring opening ceremony after atlanta :S

Fly over for a visit. There were some wonderful moments, but also quite a few disorganized looking head-scratchers. It wasn't terrible, but I have yet to speak to anyone on this side of the pond who

I will always see Beijings as a celebration that the Chinese beat their drums to the same beat and Londons a celebration that we each beat our drums to very different beats. Im certainly not trying

It couldn't even be seen at all on television. I was surprised later that their should be the map of the earth be projected on Bjork's dress. They somehow didn't manage to capture that on the pictures of the international television feed. So that segment was a double failure -- first, Bjork should be lifted in the air but that didn't work and secondly, they didn't show the earth projection.

Correction: I was surprised to read later that there should be the map of the earth be projected on Bjork's dress.

It depended on the telecast. You couldn't see it on NBC, but you could in Greece and on the BBC.

Agreed! Perhaps they'll ditch him for letting the secret out? We could hope! Honestly, they should make rock stars retire like the rest of us. Macca, Cliff and Elton all sounded a bit ropey during the Jubilee concert; you can hear that their voices aren't what they were.

Tom Jones was still sounding good though!

There's a shot I remembered vividly during yesterday Jubilee concert broadcast when London was covered in glorious sunset right before nightfall. The aerial shot of the Mall and London's skyline and parks are glittering and really beautiful. It made me think of the typical aerial shot of the host city we always see at dusk time right before the start of the opening ceremony. London is going to look breathtaking then! :)

It depended on the telecast. You couldn't see it on NBC, but you could in Greece and on the BBC.

Well, I didn't watch the ceremony on NBC but on German TV channel ZDF which (just like the BBC and I guess also the Greek channels) mostly shows the international feed of the opening ceremonies.

Here are the pictures of the international feed -- and to this day, I recognise absolutely no world map projection on that cloth:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiwxdpIXnew

There's a shot I remembered vividly during yesterday Jubilee concert broadcast when London was covered in glorious sunset right before nightfall. The aerial shot of the Mall and London's skyline and parks are glittering and really beautiful. It made me think of the typical aerial shot of the host city we always see at dusk time right before the start of the opening ceremony. London is going to look breathtaking then! :)

That's exactly what I thought, it was stunning.

Well, I didn't watch the ceremony on NBC but on German TV channel ZDF which (just like the BBC and I guess also the Greek channels) mostly shows the international feed of the opening ceremonies.

Here are the pictures of the international feed -- and to this day, I recognise absolutely no world map projection on that cloth:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiwxdpIXnew

I don't see it either. And WTF was she singing about? Your sweat is salty and...blah-blah? :wacko:

Such a self-indulgent piece of cr*p from DP and such an undistinguished song--just to include his GF.

^^ No offense Baron, but you seem to have a huge grudge against DP and the 2004 ceremonies in general :lol: what did the poor DP did to you? *shot*

Anywho, back to the discussion.. I'm not that opossed to have Paul in the ceremonies. Although, to be honest, I havent heard how his voice sounds now recently so I'm not sure if my judgement is right.

Also, I'm sure there will be other british artists who will perform at the ceremonies, so don't panic. They won't rely solely on Paul.

^^ No offense Baron, but you seem to have a huge grudge against DP and the 2004 ceremonies in general :lol: what did the poor DP did to you? *shot*

I just think giving 2004 to him was such a WASTED opportunity. Vangelis could've done so MUCH better as seen by his earlier ceremonies. I can never forgive Gianna for bypassing Vangelis in favor of a younger one. Such a waste.

How do people feel about Paul McCartney closing the opening ceremony?? I would have thought he'd be an act for the closing ceremony... Unless he is singing the official Olympic song. I, personally, do not like his music, but many are in awe of him.. So I guess he's a good act to have.

How do people feel about Paul McCartney closing the opening ceremony?? I would have thought he'd be an act for the closing ceremony... Unless he is singing the official Olympic song. I, personally, do not like his music, but many are in awe of him.. So I guess he's a good act to have.

Well, his buddy, John Lennon, had his bit at the Torino opening--or at least his widow; and PM's only performed at a Super Bowl half-time show; so I guess, this is Sir Paul's turn. (We may still see Ringo at the Sochi opening???) Plus, Paul would be a good lead-in to the Closing which would feature all those passed over for the Opening. Or am I saying that too bluntly? :lol: I just hope it's not Hey, Jude. I imagine it'll be YESTERDAY or WHEN U'RE 65!! :lol::lol:

I guess he'll be the act they play at the end so everyone dosen't all leave at once like they did in Beijing with Jackie Chan and some others, though McCartney might be famous and well liked enough to have the opposite effect and make everyone stay instead.

If they wanted Paul McCartney as closing act for the opening ceremony, then he'll most certainly sing a Beatles song. I mean, nothing else would justify why he should get such a prominent position -- he and John Lennon composed their best songs during the Beatles years. And I doubt he'll sing any kind of theme song. Baron once explained why it's more and more difficult to get such top acts singing theme songs, due to contract/marketing issues, I believe.

But which Beatles song could it be? I think very appropriate (although it was mainly written by John Lennon) would be "All You Need Is Love", because it's a joyous song and it was first played on the first global television link "Our World" in 1967, so it has a very international and "Olympic" message. ;)

I also don't get the whole Paul McCartney thing. No denying he is Britain's national treasure where he is always given the headline slot in all important event eg jubilee and Olympics. Sorry but I just don't get his music/ stage persona at all. Yes he was part of Beatles but him solo just doesn't do it for me.

His act last night was greatly helped with a lot of staging effect and pyrotechnics. Otherwise, god forbids I say this but i find him quite boring esp him doing a singalong of Let It Be (or Hey Jude) for the millionth time. Personally I felt Elton John has more stage charisma and great songs than McCartney if want to compare artistes from that era.

Edited by kevzz

Unfortunately I couldn't see anything projected on to Bjork's dress from inside the stadium during either the Tuesday night Dress Rehearsal or during the OC itself. This thread is the first time I have heard that there was meant to be something projected on to the dress at all.

During the dress rehearsal my seat was high in the lower tier and to the left of the Cauldron (not lit obviously) and about in line with the near the beginning of the 100m straight. Bjork's dress was directly ahead and below me. During Friday's OC, I was sitting midway up the top tier opposite the 100m straight and had a much better view of it.

The Host Broadcaster provides the same television pictures that the host nation and the international feed receives. Only the commentary changes according to from what country you're watching the feed from.

I learned this during my Athens Volunteer work at the start/finish line of the Mens and Womens Road Cycling races. It was the job of two volunteers, the gorgeous Talar and myself (Talar was former medal winning champion Canadian womens cyclist - Talar, where are you these days??) to allow only the clearly accredited Host Broadcaster's media reps onto the field of play at the finish line in central Athens and no other media . The pics below were taken the morning after the OC at the Start/Finish Line of the Mens Road Cycling Race. It was hot, I was sleep deprived and but still had a fantastic time. The Italian won that race and the next morning I was metres away as Aussie Sarah Kerrigan flashed across the line to take the gold as I was nearby crouching on the edge of the course near the media access point.

OC Dress Rehearsal Security Incident

One memorable thing did happen though during what was otherwise a smoothly run Tuesday night Opening Ceremony Dress Rehearsal though was that not long after during Tiesto's music, the Polish Parade of Nations DJ, during which small groups of school children pretended to be the athletes, I suddenly heard someone screaming and shouting somewhere down below me. I looked around and then I saw a scuffle happening on Tiesto's podium. An unknown woman managed to climb up suddenly out of the audience and started screaming and physically attacking him. The Greek fellow volunteers who I was sitting with translated for me that what this woman was screaming and it was along the lines of 'Devil Music! Devil Music!' I believe this woman had mental issues and had just "snapped" when she heard the 'thump thump' of the besat of Tiesto's music (which I liked and so did the athletes later in the week at the OC). About 5 or 6 security guards clambered up to pull her off Tiesto and even as she was restrained on the floor at his feet, she was still screaming at the top of her lungs. The rehearsal and Tiesto's music kept going throughout the whole incident.

I don;t have any photos of it as I had to leave my camera at a volunteer's hut just before the security checkpoint near the main entry gates before the Dress Rehearsal began as they wouldn't let me bring it in, understandably. Also there were no free to air English channels on tv available in Athens during the entire Games so I never did find out if this incident had been reported on in the electronic media, and I didn't read it in the English newspapers. The volunteeer share house I was in only had free to air channels which were all Greek during the entire Games.

Dont get me wrong, I had an absolutely fantastic time during the Athens Games and met my Greek life partner as well. But I clearly remember being very frustrated at at the time, and without internet access in the volunteer house, that for future Games, the Host City contract should for visitors that there shouldng be at least one free-to-air English Channel telecasti in the Host City since not everyone has access to or can afford pay tv. I wasnt working every day so was always keen to see how the Aussies were going but was very hard to find out progress scores or results quickly unless I went to look for an internet cafe.

Beijing organisers never ever responded to, or even acknowleged my volunteer application, depsite my repeated enquiries as to how it was going,and repeated application lodgements, so I never did go to those Games or find out if there was any free-to-air English tv channels telecasting the Olympics within Beijing itself in 2008.P1000661.jpg

P1000665.jpg

Talar if by chance you read this, contact me here and we can arrange to catch up somehow somewhere! Philip

Edited by AustralianFan

Shrek201, your negativity and cynicism sometimes really astounds me. But in your last post, you have really overstepped the mark big time and I dont think you realise it.

You astound me since you are simulatenously promoting your Olympic themed book. I know this because you sent me a private message with a video clip suggesting I should buy it.

Ok so you dont like Tiesto or maybe the music of the DJ from the Athens Games Parade of Nations. Do you really need to jump in and make fun of the misfortune of others? Did you really need to call him a deadbeat and say that its ok for someone to physically attack someone else? For goodness sake, is this in line with the Olympic spirit in which you wrote your book?

Were you in the Stadium in 2004 during the Opening Ceremony? I'll let you in on a little secret about the Opening Ceremony in Athens. The Aussie audience around me and the athletes and many of the warm generous Greek people I have since spoken to loved the dancy carnival atmosphere of the Parade of Nations. While I loved the Sydney 2000 Band music, the Athens Parade of Nations broke right away from the traditional marching type music that occurred in previous Opening Ceremonies and on a hot exciting Athens night, you could see the athletes and the crowd were enjoying the dancebeat of the contemporary music and atmosphere.

While I respect your right to express yourself, I'm gobsmacked at your behaviour and language on these Forums given the book that you have written , and I and others really have had enough. So back off, pull your head in and be respectful to not only those you agree with, but to also those whose opinions you do not agree with. Sometimes you do that, so keep doing that. But on this occasion you have really stepped over the line.

Yes, an anonymous woman from the audience attacked the DJ during the Tuesday Athens Opening Ceremony Dress Rehearsal.

She probably had a mental illness. Any type of illness is not something to make light of, from anyone.

Domestic violence is also not something that is remotely funny.

Edited by AustralianFan

Oh lighten up, Aussie. U're taking this whole thing sooooooo seriously. I merely reported what I heard. U don't have to be defensive. Life is too short to take everything at face value. Jeez. S-o-r-r-y if that nicked you. Gosh! Moving on...

• Like 1

I didn't know there were projections on Bjork's dress until afterwards either. I was seated in the very center of the stadium halfway down the bottom tier right across from the media and the VIP's. I got the back of the Cycadic head, but it still worked.

^^AustraliaFan, Baron has been the troll champion of this forum for many years. If you can't stand his comments I suggest you to just ignore him :P. Believe me.

Also, I knew about the orchestra mimicing. It seems Boyle wasn't very glad about this, since he hoped the orchestra to perform live. But again, no big surprise because stadiums usually have horrible acoustics. The last two ceremonies had prerecorded music and they were still great.

Also, Sydney Symphony Orchestra was miming as well back in 2000 (and it wasn't even their music but Melbourne Orchestra one :lol: )

Unfortunately I couldn't see anything projected on to Bjork's dress from inside the stadium during either the Tuesday night Dress Rehearsal or during the OC itself. This thread is the first time I have heard that there was meant to be something projected on to the dress at all..

226150339_f7a858598e.jpg

^^AustraliaFan, Baron has been the troll champion of this forum for many years. If you can't stand his comments I suggest you to just ignore him :P.

Uhmmm, I resent that. Pls redefine a troll. I just post different views; I am brutally honest; and I leave the gushy, rosy-colored-glasses-view to others. Just because I am realistic, or come across as 'cynical' doesn't a troll make.

@AussieFan -- Now, how boring would it be if we all posted--isn't it wonderful, yeah that was magnificent (which I have posted), etc., etc.. This is an open forum so we get all POVs from everywhere. I didn't know Tiesto was an inviolate "god;" and that one couldn't say less-than-positive things about him...which in some small internet forum, would in any way harm him. For me, posting here is a fun diversion--which is what it should be. A lot of the stuff here I let slide unless they are direct attacks. Again, I am sorry if it upset you so...didn't realize that that person was in your pantheon. Shall we move on?

226150339_f7a858598e.jpg

On the west coast, NBC edited the full spreading of that skirt. I have never seen that shot; and indeed if it must've taken around 10-12 mins for that thing to do its job, I figure NBC would've rather used the other minutes to show some ads. Geez, I hope that comment was neutral enough? :ph34r: