I've read the original Frankenstein novel by Mary Shelly and some of the themes and motifs explored in it would certainty feel at home in an Olympic opening ceremony; the novel as a starting point for some ideas is not weird at all.

The idea that comes to mind immediately is how the novel is a great example of 18th and 19th century Romanticism in the way it paints nature as a source of hope, renewal, and comfort. I can see this same sensibility mirrored in the ceremony towards issues of sustainability and the environment, things that have really been more of a priority to 2012 organizers than previous hosts.

There is also a strong emphasis in the novel placed on the the power of learning, intellectual advancement, and the question of when does it go too far? ...British contributions to the sciences and technology... Knowledge in the novel is symbolized by fire and elements of light... Fire and light and Olympic ceremonies? Who would of thunk it?!..... I could keep going but that's what Googling "Frankenstein themes and symbols" is for...

We obviously won't be seeing scenes from the novel played out or imagery directly used, but some of the things the novel adresses certainly make sense to me in the context of an Olympic opening.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

it will be the most boring opening ceremony after atlanta :S

Fly over for a visit. There were some wonderful moments, but also quite a few disorganized looking head-scratchers. It wasn't terrible, but I have yet to speak to anyone on this side of the pond who

I will always see Beijings as a celebration that the Chinese beat their drums to the same beat and Londons a celebration that we each beat our drums to very different beats. Im certainly not trying

I've read the original Frankenstein novel by Mary Shelly and some of the themes and motifs explored in it would certainty feel at home in an Olympic opening ceremony; the novel as a starting point for some ideas is not weird at all.

The idea that comes to mind immediately is how the novel is a great example of 18th and 19th century Romanticism in the way it paints nature as a source of hope, renewal, and comfort. I can see this same sensibility mirrored in the ceremony towards issues of sustainability and the environment, things that have really been more of a priority to 2012 organizers than previous hosts.

There is also a strong emphasis in the novel placed on the the power of learning, intellectual advancement, and the question of when does it go too far? ...British contributions to the sciences and technology... Knowledge in the novel is symbolized by fire and elements of light... Fire and light and Olympic ceremonies? Who would of thunk it?!..... I could keep going but that's what Googling "Frankenstein themes and symbols" is for...

We obviously won't be seeing scenes from the novel played out or imagery directly used, but some of the things the novel adresses certainly make sense to me in the context of an Olympic opening.

I know Frankenstein. I've got a Master's in English lit and the themes of that book, while very representative of Romanticism are not appropriate for the Olympic Games. It's all about human hubris and the violation of nature.

This is the latest inside Stadium pic that Daveypodmore found in Jason Hawkes collecion and posted earlier on the Cauldron thread.

Adrianme17, the Opening Ceremony performer, has also said that the circular stage structure in the northern stands has nothing to do with the Cauldron:

rttg.jpg

Edited by AustralianFan

I guess in addition to the stage , we also need room for the orchestra. Im guessing the LSO will be present in the opening ceremony (as in, physically present).

I know Frankenstein. I've got a Master's in English lit and the themes of that book, while very representative of Romanticism are not appropriate for the Olympic Games. It's all about human hubris and the violation of nature.

I don't think they will be taking the core crux of the novel and make it the centerpiece message of the ceremony. Again, I imagine they will take Shelly's approach to certain things (nature as the sublime, knowledge as light) and use a similar hand in how those broad ideas are represented.

• Like 1

I guess in addition to the stage , we also need room for the orchestra. Im guessing the LSO will be present in the opening ceremony (as in, physically present).

It's a very nice idea, but doesn't the music need to be pre-recorded for acoustic reasons? I thought I'd heard that when recent ceremonies switched to canned soundtracks everything sounded much better.

I don't think they will be taking the core crux of the novel and make it the centerpiece message of the ceremony. Again, I imagine they will take Shelly's approach to certain things (nature as the sublime, knowledge as light) and use a similar hand in how those broad ideas are represented.

Well, those concepts are common to many works. It's hard to pattern something after Frankenstein if you strip it if its core theme.

I think it's more likely that he meant he was patterning the show after the theatrical style and techniques of the recent Frankenstein production -- not its story or themes.

I can't imagine we'll have a Frankenstein OC.

It's a very nice idea, but doesn't the music need to be pre-recorded for acoustic reasons? I thought I'd heard that when recent ceremonies switched to canned soundtracks everything sounded much better.

Yeah, it would purely be for show, as was Sydney 2000, but I think it looks better when there is an actual orchestra physically part of the ceremony.

It just makes it look grander. I think it's always been a matter of tradition to have some sort of a full ensemble in there, even though all music/symphonic needs can be taken care of by pre-recorded tracks. Plus, it makes the IOC members again feel special because their event is graced once more by a full symphony orchestra. You know how they "love" to be honored.

and they were arguably the two best OC's to date.

One was; Athens' was NOT one of the two best...arguably. ;) But that's not because of the absence of an orchestra. Having an orchestra there does take up a lot of space; and it looks like that's what London is doing on the left of the Tribune of Honor.

One was; Athens' was NOT one of the two best...arguably. ;) But that's not because of the absence of an orchestra. Having an orchestra there does take up a lot of space; and it looks like that's what London is doing on the left of the Tribune of Honor.

In your view it was not but in my view Athens was the best ever - it all subjective

stadm.jpg

Wow!!! What a pic!!11 It gives us the idea of how is it going to be!

Water around the main stage and a movile piece of it on the core... Interesting!

Looks like Athens. but the water around the stage I think this time would not be a quiet one like in Athens, but active such the waterfalls we saw at the Opening Ceremony in Guangzhou Asian Games in 2010 (look at the pic)

May the water have some projections on the waterfalls...

Dear! I can not wait anymore!!!!

1375909797.gif

/\/\ I think Nacho, that would be too Vegas-y. Think Bellagio. And they already had "dancing fountains" but smaller ones

Maybe... But water should more active this time and not pasive as in Athens was.

In Guangzhou Opening Ceremony there were jet skies, sinc swim and waterfalls....

We have seen more "active" water in newest ceremonies....

remember this?

6053333862_7715309a89_b.jpg

notice the white balls. notice the water spraying in the middle of the field. notice the white ground cover.

That's the photo I was referring to in my cauldron thread post. The water there is for the grass; not for any theatrical effect. But notice that ramp with the zorb on the lower end. In the latest photos, the ramp now ends like on the lip of the center hole. So there must be a connection between a ramp all of a sudden ending just on the lip of the hole. WIll they throw the Persian :ph34r: ambassadors down that hole and scream: THIS IS SPARTA!! :lol::lol:

I think not. I think a little cauldron will come out and catch that burning zorb.

/\/\ I think Nacho, that would be too Vegas-y. Think Bellagio. And they already had "dancing fountains" but smaller ones

Maybe... But water should more active this time and not pasive as in Athens was.

In Guangzhou Opening Ceremony there were jet skies, sinc swim and waterfalls....

We have seen more "active" water in newest ceremonies....

I didn't think the water in Athens was passive -- especially when it was sprayed to become a projection screen for the spinning double helix. There was quite a lot of splashing throughout....

remember this?

6053333862_7715309a89_b.jpg

notice the white balls. notice the water spraying in the middle of the field. notice the white ground cover.

The spraying water is just sprinklers.

There may be water in the OC, but the sprinklers aren't evidence of it.