Opening Ceremony

Ausf, something like this? The raised, plateau oval stage surrounded by water

amazon-golf-course-4th-green.jpg

OK, but that's only ONE island. The theme is, as it's developing, "(Frankenstein's)" isles of wonder (for get about Propsero and Cailban, I guess. I wish Boyle would make up his frickin' mind!!)

So, no, unless there are at least FOUR stage-islands, I refuse to accept that water, much less moat water, will be used in this ceremony. :angry:

OK, but that's only ONE island. The theme is, as it's developing, "(Frankenstein's)" isles of wonder (for get about Propsero and Cailban, I guess. I wish Boyle would make up his frickin' mind!!)

So, no, unless there are at least FOUR stage-islands, I refuse to accept that water, much less moat water, will be used in this ceremony. :angry:

For goodness sake, do you really expect them to create a bloody stage in the shape of the British Isle and quarter of Ireland? Also, it's only 1 and a quarter island they need to built to be geographically correct. So the centre oval is the british isle and probably a little islet somewhere to Northern Island

For goodness sake, do you really expect them to create a bloody stage in the shape of the British Isle and quarter of Ireland? Also, it's only 1 and a quarter island they need to built to be geographically correct. So the centre oval is the british isle and probably a little islet somewhere to Northern Island

:lol: u actually took the bait. :lol:Of course, I do. It's the darned LOGO!!

What is it in Frankenstein that you can transfer to an Olympic ceremony? And a cauldron full of hovering people - where does that exist in Frankenstein (I know that story only vaguely)?

I mean, it's not surprising that they will have flying props and probably also people in the ceremony -- but what is so magical about Frankenstein that it could be appropriate for a festive Olympic opening ceremony? Does anyone know the Frankenstein novel well enough to clear this up?

Where did you get this pic? Is this the official thing?. If it is, this confirms there will be water at the ceremony (a nod to the Islands of Wonder theme? )

I think this is just a rendering done by Afiqnadzir himself. I believe he has done such renderings before.

What is it in Frankenstein that you can transfer to an Olympic ceremony? And a cauldron full of hovering people - where does that exist in Frankenstein (I know that story only vaguely)?

I mean, it's not surprising that they will have flying props and probably also people in the ceremony -- but what is so magical about Frankenstein that it could be appropriate for a festive Olympic opening ceremony? Does anyone know the Frankenstein novel well enough to clear this up?

Well, it was really Dr. Frankenstein as the 'creator' and the 'monster' was the creation. I don't know--doesn't he enough threads for his 'regeneration and renewal' theme that the Frankenstein story has to be thrown in? :blink: Am just waiting for a Bollywood number (his SLUDOG MILLIONAIRE thingie) to appear somewhere in there; but we know that Latin beats will be covered by Rio in the CLosing. Does Boyle even know what he's doing?? :wacko:

Frankenstein is all about the hubris of humanity trying to supplant God as Creator and doing a botched job of it. Seems like a very peculiar reference for the Olympics. Perhaps fitting in some sad ways, but totally inappropriate.

Am just waiting for a Bollywood number (his SLUDOG MILLIONAIRE thingie) to appear somewhere in there; but we know that Latin beats will be covered by Rio in the CLosing. Does Boyle even know what he's doing?? :wacko:

Bollywood and samba are nothing like each other and are from totally different parts of the world. What does this have to do with the price of eggs?

Bollywood and samba are nothing like each other and are from totally different parts of the world. What does this have to do with the price of eggs?

The way it's shaping up...and it will all lead to a universality thing...after all, Boyle & Co, have openly expressed admiration for the Sydney opening ("Arrivals"), and the way he's referencing his past works, so I wouldn't be surprised--at the rate it's going-- to see some Bollywood strains there, after all, India was a great part of the British empire. That's what it has to do with the price of eggs, and all the tea in China, too.

Another pic of the ongoing works inside the olympic stadia, courtesy of Jason Hawkes

http://stock.jasonhawkes.com/-/galleries/london-2012-olympics/-/medias/9e70ffd8-aa44-11e1-958e-094f33d5c330-london-2012-olympic-park?

I see more stuff at the stand stage...are those two metal rings i'm seeing? Hmmm...

I read that as it was using themes, looks and effects that Boyle had used in his production of Frankenstein rather than anything specific about the story itself.

Here's a 2011 review from the Guardian about Boyle's production that says that the staging was brilliant and goes into some detail.

• Like 1

The way it's shaping up...and it will all lead to a universality thing...after all, Boyle & Co, have openly expressed admiration for the Sydney opening ("Arrivals"), and the way he's referencing his past works, so I wouldn't be surprised--at the rate it's going-- to see some Bollywood strains there, after all, India was a great part of the British empire. That's what it has to do with the price of eggs, and all the tea in China, too.

A Bollywood number would be a blast and might well be included. It seemed like you were suggesting it would somehow compete with Rio, which didn't make sense to me. Not sure what any of it has to do with Frankenstein.

I read that as it was using themes, looks and effects that Boyle had used in his production of Frankenstein rather than anything specific about the story itself.

Here's a 2011 review from the Guardian about Boyle's production that says that the staging was brilliant and goes into some detail.

That makes a bit more sense. Thanks. The review coincidentally mentions the Tempest....

You know, I'm starting to think lately that with the 20th anniversary coming up of Barcelona, and with all of the British Olympic legends expected there along with Seb Coe's speech, we might see someone who was not a medal winner or one widely expected to be one like a Jessica Ennis or a Tom Daley but Derek Redmond to light the torch. Now, he would definitely be a surprise. If you don't know whom I'm referring to, back in Barcelona he hobbled in the finals to finish the 400m race in tears and in pain and then his father Jim, wearing a Reebok Have You Hugged Your Foot Today? T-shirt, leaped from the stands to finish the race together. Try and emulate that now what Derek's dad did with the even-more high level of security since. It has since become a story of perservence and maybe LOCOG and the IOC might like to reward him with that honor. Then again, he is among the torch bearers. Just found that out.

You know, I'm starting to think lately that with the 20th anniversary coming up of Barcelona, and with all of the British Olympic legends expected there along with Seb Coe's speech, we might see someone who was not a medal winner or one widely expected to be one like a Jessica Ennis or a Tom Daley but Derek Redmond to light the torch. Now, he would definitely be a surprise. If you don't know whom I'm referring to, back in Barcelona he hobbled in the finals to finish the 400m race in tears and in pain and then his father Jim, wearing a Reebok Have You Hugged Your Foot Today? T-shirt, leaped from the stands to finish the race together. Try and emulate that now what Derek's dad did with the even-more high level of security since. It has since become a story of perservence and maybe LOCOG and the IOC might like to reward him with that honor. Then again, he is among the torch bearers. Just found that out.

Y should Barcelona be such significant milestone? Y not go back to Munich would be 40 years earlier, etc., etc.? The 1 important milestone would be London 1948...but I think only 1 British medallist is alive.

I've read the original Frankenstein novel by Mary Shelly and some of the themes and motifs explored in it would certainty feel at home in an Olympic opening ceremony; the novel as a starting point for some ideas is not weird at all.

The idea that comes to mind immediately is how the novel is a great example of 18th and 19th century Romanticism in the way it paints nature as a source of hope, renewal, and comfort. I can see this same sensibility mirrored in the ceremony towards issues of sustainability and the environment, things that have really been more of a priority to 2012 organizers than previous hosts.

There is also a strong emphasis in the novel placed on the the power of learning, intellectual advancement, and the question of when does it go too far? ...British contributions to the sciences and technology... Knowledge in the novel is symbolized by fire and elements of light... Fire and light and Olympic ceremonies? Who would of thunk it?!..... I could keep going but that's what Googling "Frankenstein themes and symbols" is for...

We obviously won't be seeing scenes from the novel played out or imagery directly used, but some of the things the novel adresses certainly make sense to me in the context of an Olympic opening.

I've read the original Frankenstein novel by Mary Shelly and some of the themes and motifs explored in it would certainty feel at home in an Olympic opening ceremony; the novel as a starting point for some ideas is not weird at all.

The idea that comes to mind immediately is how the novel is a great example of 18th and 19th century Romanticism in the way it paints nature as a source of hope, renewal, and comfort. I can see this same sensibility mirrored in the ceremony towards issues of sustainability and the environment, things that have really been more of a priority to 2012 organizers than previous hosts.

There is also a strong emphasis in the novel placed on the the power of learning, intellectual advancement, and the question of when does it go too far? ...British contributions to the sciences and technology... Knowledge in the novel is symbolized by fire and elements of light... Fire and light and Olympic ceremonies? Who would of thunk it?!..... I could keep going but that's what Googling "Frankenstein themes and symbols" is for...

We obviously won't be seeing scenes from the novel played out or imagery directly used, but some of the things the novel adresses certainly make sense to me in the context of an Olympic opening.

I know Frankenstein. I've got a Master's in English lit and the themes of that book, while very representative of Romanticism are not appropriate for the Olympic Games. It's all about human hubris and the violation of nature.

I guess in addition to the stage , we also need room for the orchestra. Im guessing the LSO will be present in the opening ceremony (as in, physically present).

I know Frankenstein. I've got a Master's in English lit and the themes of that book, while very representative of Romanticism are not appropriate for the Olympic Games. It's all about human hubris and the violation of nature.

I don't think they will be taking the core crux of the novel and make it the centerpiece message of the ceremony. Again, I imagine they will take Shelly's approach to certain things (nature as the sublime, knowledge as light) and use a similar hand in how those broad ideas are represented.

• Like 1

I guess in addition to the stage , we also need room for the orchestra. Im guessing the LSO will be present in the opening ceremony (as in, physically present).

It's a very nice idea, but doesn't the music need to be pre-recorded for acoustic reasons? I thought I'd heard that when recent ceremonies switched to canned soundtracks everything sounded much better.

I don't think they will be taking the core crux of the novel and make it the centerpiece message of the ceremony. Again, I imagine they will take Shelly's approach to certain things (nature as the sublime, knowledge as light) and use a similar hand in how those broad ideas are represented.

Well, those concepts are common to many works. It's hard to pattern something after Frankenstein if you strip it if its core theme.

I think it's more likely that he meant he was patterning the show after the theatrical style and techniques of the recent Frankenstein production -- not its story or themes.

I can't imagine we'll have a Frankenstein OC.

It's a very nice idea, but doesn't the music need to be pre-recorded for acoustic reasons? I thought I'd heard that when recent ceremonies switched to canned soundtracks everything sounded much better.

Yeah, it would purely be for show, as was Sydney 2000, but I think it looks better when there is an actual orchestra physically part of the ceremony.

It just makes it look grander. I think it's always been a matter of tradition to have some sort of a full ensemble in there, even though all music/symphonic needs can be taken care of by pre-recorded tracks. Plus, it makes the IOC members again feel special because their event is graced once more by a full symphony orchestra. You know how they "love" to be honored.