• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

it will be the most boring opening ceremony after atlanta :S

Fly over for a visit. There were some wonderful moments, but also quite a few disorganized looking head-scratchers. It wasn't terrible, but I have yet to speak to anyone on this side of the pond who

I will always see Beijings as a celebration that the Chinese beat their drums to the same beat and Londons a celebration that we each beat our drums to very different beats. Im certainly not trying

But not necessarily in a giant format? Can be on a flag or props?

Are you asking about the 5 rings? If so, yes, in some giant, larger-than-life format. Just think and look back a few:

- LA had those silver balloons formation and then the first rings on fire at the cauldron-lighting ceremony;

- Seoul had the skydivers forming the 5 rings;

- Barcelona had the sardana dancers;

- Lillehammer had the kids in thick, heavy robes marching in the snow;

- Atlanta had the 5 tribes forming the rings in the Call to the Nations opening;

- Sydney had the stockhorses doing that;

- Salt Lake had it at the end with Fire on ice;

- Athens copied that with the comet and fire on water (also copied from Sydney);

- Torino had the mechanical rings above the entrance where the athletes came out;

- Beijing had the twinkly, LED, fairy-dust-type netting; and

- Vancouver had the 5 rings out of which that skateboard jumped out.

London might have a Stonehenge formation morph into the 5 rings and then into the 4 isles of wonder. Adrienne?

Sydney had 3 Rings representations in total:

Some time after the stockhorses formed the rings, the team of overweight Aussie blokes with big beer guts and wearing flip flops, floppy hats and shorts formed the Olympic Rings while pushing lawnmowers - hysterical!

Then came the giant white Olympic Rings projected on to the massive cloth passed down over the heads of the athletes from the top of the stadium.

Edited by AustralianFan
Sydney had 3 Rings representations in total: Some time after the stockhorses formed the rings, the team of overweight Aussie blokes with big beer guts and wearing flip flops, floppy hats and shorts formed the Olympic Rings while pushing lawnmowers - hysterical! Then came the giant white Olympic Rings projected on to the massive cloth passed down over the heads of the athletes from the top of the stadium.

Hey Mate,

LOL, yeah it was fun...though I don't recall the "big beer guts", just colourful shirts.... Sydney was fun, Athens was drama, Beijing was grand. I hope that London is more inline with Sydney.

haha, actually you're right, I must have been thinking of one of Paul Hogan's ocker characters!. I just watched that segment from Tin Symphony Sydney 2000 and none of them had beer bellies, just coloured shirts as you said.

I agree, I get the feeling that London will be more in line with Sydney

it was fun watching it again.

Edited by AustralianFan

Land of Hope and Glory would also work IMO . Also it's a bit more prudent because it doesn't include the name England on it (Jerusalem is epic but i fear that some people would get pissy if they give more focus to England due to this olympics being in the U.K and not just there. Wouldn't be the same case if those were the CWG :lol: )

Land of Hope and Glory would also work IMO . Also it's a bit more prudent because it doesn't include the name England on it (Jerusalem is epic but i fear that some people would get pissy if they give more focus to England due to this olympics being in the U.K and not just there. Wouldn't be the same case if those were the CWG :lol: )

Perhaps Jerusalem in its imagery:

And did the Countenance Divine,

Shine forth upon our clouded hills?

And was Jerusalem builded here,

Among these dark Satanic Mills?

Edited by kevzz

I'm currently watching The Arrivals segment of Sydney's ceremony and I would love to see something with the same spirit in London. Fun and celebratory, but still somewhat emotional and sentimental, and put on to a huge, thumping dance music beat.

Well, surely the ceremony needs to be all-british and stuff but the fact that's impossible to escape of is that the games will be held in a city located in England, so I don't believe (from an outsider's POV) that a slightly more English than Welsh, Scottish an Northern Irish ceremony would be foul play by LOCOG.

Plus, that's the only nation in UK that doesn't have its own national anthem of some sort, right? So if an Olympics were hosted by, say, Glasgow or Cardiff I believe it could be more politically controversial if they played Flower of Scotland or Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau than London playing Land of Hope and Glory, or Jerusalem: both patriotic songs that hold no political status of national anthem and are known and played elsewhere in the Commonwealth and other parts of the world. And Blake's poem fits the concept of rebuilding the land and all... For a matter of fact, I believe Scotland the Brave is a must have for a games anywhere in Britain. Bejing played it forever 4 years ago, why wouldn't London do it once at least? :D

And I don't know how things do in your countries but here in Brazil almost every state has its own anthem and just in a few situations it stirs some minimal controversies. It all depends on context and in which scenario they'll use any song.

Yeah, I'm making up excuses for why they should play Jerusalem no matter what intranational disaster it may lead to.

Well, surely the ceremony needs to be all-british and stuff but the fact that's impossible to escape of is that the games will be held in a city located in England, so I don't believe (from an outsider's POV) that a slightly more English than Welsh, Scottish an Northern Irish ceremony would be foul play by LOCOG.

Plus, that's the only nation in UK that doesn't have its own national anthem of some sort, right? So if an Olympics were hosted by, say, Glasgow or Cardiff I believe it could be more politically controversial if they played Flower of Scotland or Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau than London playing Land of Hope and Glory, or Jerusalem: both patriotic songs that hold no political status of national anthem and are known and played elsewhere in the Commonwealth and other parts of the world. And Blake's poem fits the concept of rebuilding the land and all... For a matter of fact, I believe Scotland the Brave is a must have for a games anywhere in Britain. Bejing played it forever 4 years ago, why wouldn't London do it once at least? :D

And I don't know how things do in your countries but here in Brazil almost every state has its own anthem and just in a few situations it stirs some minimal controversies. It all depends on context and in which scenario they'll use any song.

Yeah, I'm making up excuses for why they should play Jerusalem no matter what intranational disaster it may lead to.

Jerusalem - is exclusively English - so not British - so probably not?

Jerusalem is the song they sung at the end of the movie Chariots of Fire.. a movie about the Olympics.

Land of hope and glory is famous all over the world, that will set a tone for the rest of the ceremony.

Or... there's water, like in Athens. And than there's a boat and they will play Rule Britannia!

I don't imagine the lighthing. Maybe we are creating a lot of expectatives and it could be quite simple as Vancouver did.

Can you imagine a "better" version of the lighting in Shenzhen for the Universiade FISU Games in 2011 when they set on fire the athtetic track and the fire went on till the cauldron??

I don't like the idea of a "internal" cauldron, since Olympics have to be share with everyone (Indeed, the motto is "Everyone's London 2012", so it would be counterproductive)

Remember the "selfish" cauldron in Seoul??? No man!!!!

The idea of a second or external cauldron, as in Vancouver, pleased me a lot!!!!

Not only Vancouver had a external cauldron, remember in Doha for the Asian Games, the astrolabe internal caludron and the external one in the tower next to the Califa Stadium.

During the Panamerican Games in Guadalajara, Mexico there was a second cauldron in the track field at Telmex Athletic Stadium. It was a exact copy of the "official one" which was set up on the Omnilfe Stadium's roof...

So we are making our trek to London this year to attend our first games (and cross off a bucket list item for me!) and snagged tickets to the Opening Ceremonies. Has there been any information published out there about the procedures for those attending the ceremonies (cameras allowed or not, bag restrictions, etc.)? Also for those on here who have attended opening ceremonies, is there any kind of expected dress code for the event? I'm more curious if people dress a little for the event or if its frowned upon to show up in shorts and a tee.

So we are making our trek to London this year to attend our first games (and cross off a bucket list item for me!) and snagged tickets to the Opening Ceremonies. Has there been any information published out there about the procedures for those attending the ceremonies (cameras allowed or not, bag restrictions, etc.)? Also for those on here who have attended opening ceremonies, is there any kind of expected dress code for the event? I'm more curious if people dress a little for the event or if its frowned upon to show up in shorts and a tee.

I wore a dress shirt and khakis to the Athens OC. Some people were a little dressier, some less so. There seemed to be a range, but I felt appropriate.

I'm sure that LOCOG will publish spectator do's and dont's on their website. The main issue will probably be security and allowing plenty of time to get through checkpoints.

Do NOT show up in a chador or burkha under any circumstances.

Kidding aside, but it being London, better bring like a little poncho/raincoat or at least a folding umbrella. Also, bring a big plastic bag to keep your Audience Participation kit, your camera dry if it's raining when the show ends. Altho they may provide those...but better be fully prepared.

So we are making our trek to London this year to attend our first games (and cross off a bucket list item for me!) and snagged tickets to the Opening Ceremonies. Has there been any information published out there about the procedures for those attending the ceremonies (cameras allowed or not, bag restrictions, etc.)?

Yes, the spectator info is on the 2012 website for each venue. Here's the one for the Olympic Stadium that has some extra information about the Ceremonies regarding when the Park opens. Their link from there to the complete list is broken though at the moment.

I was at the Stadium opening test event. The security was surprisingly fast. Although there was a queue, it was a constant slow walk rather than a semi-stationary shuffle. That night, the longer queue was getting across the bridges into the Stadium since they were holding everyone outside and the Park was being used for other events. I don't think the security will take too long on Opening night since it's one event at the Park. The mornings are likely to be more hectic as people who haven't read the guidelines try to take ridiculous amounts of stuff into the park and slow down security when they're asked to bin things.

The Park opens at 5pm on Opening day and I believe they are asking people to be seated for 7.30pm for the preshow that starts at 2012.

Hey Jose, welcome to the forum!

I received my first tickets yesterday (beach volleyball, handball and football).

For each event you get a spectator guide telling you when to arrive, where to arrive, what to take, a plan of the venue so you can see where your seat is etc. You won't be left guessing.

This is what you'll be getting when you get your tickets (from sum_of_marc on Flickr):

7255330694_1293347d9e_c.jpg

Whenever I read stuff in Twitter saying that the opening ceremony won't surpass today's Eurovision, i seriously want to facepalm so hard...

• Like 1