Opening Ceremony

I feel like the quality control for these Ceremonies is always high and the organizers of Summer opening ceremonies have come up with "mind blowing" theatrics since at least Sydney. I've expected nothing less from London so I'm not at all surprised nor more excited after those remarks.

I want to hear more distintive adjectives that really start to distinguish the mood, feel, and direction of this ceremony from those past. It's getting close now!

I think I have already said - British - powerful & moving - my segment is all of these!

Would you say that the emotive powers of the ceremony work on an international level? aswell as to the average Joe or Martha Brit?

With Danny Boyle and his creative team, and given UK's history of theatrical talent and creativity, I'm expecting the London Opening Ceremony to connect emotionally with both the international audience and the average Joe or Martha. I hope they have a live symphony orchestra too.

and the average Joe or Martha.

it's ...George... and Martha

whos-afraid-of-virginia-woolf-nichols_jpg.jpg?w=450%20

I hope they have a live symphony orchestra too.

If so, they will just be "miming" the music. Stadia are NOT concert halls, so they have some of the worst acoustics. Therefore, all the music will be prerecorded, so it can be balanced properly in the sound system throughout the stadium. Thus, a "live" symphony & the performers...are just there for show.

whos-afraid-of-virginia-woolf-nichols_jpg.jpg?w=450%20

BTW, above was Martha reacting to the cauldron glitch at the Vancouver 2010 opening...

oooooh Im too excited for words. I just hope the world has a more modern view of us from this.

What can be the naffest old fashioned view of Britain and turn it into something appealing and moving?

yes - this will translate to an international audience - it is powerful and emotive in equal measure

Hi adrianme17

It's been a while since I posted, but I have checked out this site from time to time. Congrats on being part of the ceremony - you must be so excited.

My questions are below and I know you can't answer certain things, but I don't know what they are. What can you tell us and can you answer my questions? Don't worry if you can't as I don't want you to get into trouble, so just say no if not.

1) You are in the opening segment? How many of you are involved? Is it colourful and are there fancy effects ike video projections, special props etc, famous people etc?? Anything else you give us?

2) Have you seen any other segments or talked to other volunteers that are in other segments? If so can you give us a hint as to the other sections that exist?

3) How many rehearsals o you have? Over how long and when do they intensify? (I know that sounds boring lol)

4) How many segments are there?

5) Are they keeping the cauldron location secret from you guys as well?

6) Do you know anything about the NHS segment? I doubt that it is boring as Danny Boyle had been biggin it up etc, but it doesn't sound that great? Any hints on that one?

I probably have more to ask but I guess you might slap me so I'll stop for now lol :) Please feel free to say 'No comment' :)

I can't answer all your questions:

I am in the opening segment - circa 2k involved - props are involved - some of them massive - some of them quite surprising

I know of other segments but haven't seen them

I have 24 rehearsals - most of them are 6 hours

I have no idea of how many segments there are

I have no idea where the cauldron is

There is an NHS segment - there has to to be you see - I have not seen this but have seen evidence

Fear not - we will do Britain & the Olympics proud - just hope the weather's kind as am out doors all day this weekend and the forecast is ****!

Looking back at the past decade, Torino, Athens, and Salt Lake all had their cauldrons visible before the ceremony. And videos and pictures of the cauldron getting tested in the wee hours of the morning surfaced for both Beijing and Vancouver.

I also hope London's stays a complete and utter secret until the moment comes to light it.

I can't answer all your questions:

I am in the opening segment - circa 2k involved - props are involved - some of them massive - some of them quite surprising

I know of other segments but haven't seen them

I have 24 rehearsals - most of them are 6 hours

I have no idea of how many segments there are

I have no idea where the cauldron is

There is an NHS segment - there has to to be you see - I have not seen this but have seen evidence

Fear not - we will do Britain & the Olympics proud - just hope the weather's kind as am out doors all day this weekend and the forecast is ****!

2,000 cast in the opening segment? Wow that is about Beijing's number of drummer. Looks like London is going to open with a bang instead of subtlely like Athens

Just rewatched the opening scene for Sydney and Athens on youtube. Sydney's countdown sends goosebumps again. And that shot of the horse galloping on the brown outback ground is so quintessential Australia. Love it, think it's such a genius idea to have the ceremony open with an Outback look. The same goes with Athens, I still remember how my jaw dropped when I first saw the pool of water on TV. It is just breathtaking and so so Greek too. Really wonder what London will do to deliver this first, most powerful imagery to the world??

2,000 cast in the opening segment? Wow that is about Beijing's number of drummer. Looks like London is going to open with a bang instead of subtlely like Athens

The Athens opening didn't feel subtle to me. All those zembekikos (or whatever they were) and the flaming rings..... It was the definition of DRAMA.

• Like 1

The Athens opening didn't feel subtle to me. All those zembekikos (or whatever they were) and the flaming rings..... It was the definition of DRAMA.

I meant the solo drummer beating to the one on the screen and the boy on paper boat..... i thought that's pretty nice and simple

Speaking about flaming ring, it seems in every ceremony, they will think of great ways to create the giant ring. Sydney is a projection on the giant cloth? Athens ring of fire on water. Beijings beautiful star dust ring peeling of from ground is the best to me. Probably this is another point in London's ceremony I am keen to see how they going to do the ring.

Just rewatched the opening scene for Sydney and Athens on youtube. Sydney's countdown sends goosebumps again. And that shot of the horse galloping on the brown outback ground is so quintessential Australia. Love it, think it's such a genius idea to have the ceremony open with an Outback look.

Thanks for reminding me of that. Just watched the video and I haven't seen the Opening of the Ceremony since 2000. It is an amazing opening and the way that Julie Anthony sang the National Anthem gives me goosebumps.

Thanks for reminding me of that. Just watched the video and I haven't seen the Opening of the Ceremony since 2000. It is an amazing opening and the way that Julie Anthony sang the National Anthem gives me goosebumps.

Yes she was amazing, that gorgeous blue gown billowing in the wind, and also that shot of the handsome Australian boy singing along! So full of hope and pride!

Aslong as the opening segment doesn't include 2000 people banging bits of sh1t that they've found on the side of the road in an ode to urban youthful percussion in Great Britain , I will be a happy wee critter.

• Like 1

ooooh I wanna know more, but I dont want to know anything, arghhhhhhhh

i would love to share with you what i know - but can't - don't want to spoil it for everyone. it is going to be a brilliant though - so no worries there!

am rehearsing all day sunday outside in the rain - blurgh! hope it doesn't rain on the night!

I meant the solo drummer beating to the one on the screen and the boy on paper boat..... i thought that's pretty nice and simple

Speaking about flaming ring, it seems in every ceremony, they will think of great ways to create the giant ring. Sydney is a projection on the giant cloth? Athens ring of fire on water. Beijings beautiful star dust ring peeling of from ground is the best to me. Probably this is another point in London's ceremony I am keen to see how they going to do the ring.

The 5 rings must appear within the first 10 minutes of the ceremony so that people will realize that it is an Olympic Ceremony, not a Carnavale or a Miss Universe pageant. BTW, those irritating drummers from 2004 were at the Flame Handover ceremony again...long after the flame had departed Panathinailos. The ceremony was underwhelming. But I guess memories are all the Greeks of today can look backward on. At least, those cost nothing.